NPCs & Enemies Lunatic Cultist Rework

Which of the Cultist's New phases is your favorite?

• Total voters
Well… uh… let's just say that the last time Bry tried that… things didn't go very well.
Yeah, no, I don't care who asks you to let them add your stuff to their mod; they will always be unreliable and will want to change your ideas to their liking.
The only way to do it right is to do it yourself.

If I could actually be bothered to learn to mod (I have done some C# before in Unity) then I'd try to mod in some of my ideas, but I'm too lazy.

what if you approach someone who you know is good at modding, and they agree not to alter it?
The Hallow may be a living fairy tale, but this reality sure ain't. It's not that easy, Omega.
thegigibeast said, and I quote, "Nah don't worry! I'll try to stick to your ideas the best I can," and then literally four :red:ing days later, he asks if he can change the new gemstones I added in my Elemental Equipment suggestion to the Thorium ones, despite them literally not fitting at all with my idea.

"Yeah that was only a suggestion... There was no real thinking behind it. I'll take time to analyze and adapt your answer later. Thanks! "

Last edited:
This is already my favorite boss in vanilla Terraria and doing this would make my favorite boss in all of modded and unmodded terraria. Support!! I think that this makes the boss 27.3% better.
don't know why I picked that number

Minor update: Made the Nebula Cultist text lighter, so it's a little easier to read.

I know Red won't add this, but suggestions are still enjoyable for me to work on. :D
So, I'm planning on adding two phases to this guy in the future, the Hypernova Cultist, from the pillar in my upcoming Alchemist suggestion, and the Constellation Cultist, from @Danny Ω's Engineer Class' pillar.

Sooo, since this bloke got a master mode version, what about the lunar events? will they get a version too? or will it just be their normal stats but on Steroids?

Just asking :)

(Small edit: I like the way the sprites look, and i support this suggestion.)

Sooo, since this bloke got a master mode version, what about the lunar events? will they get a version too? or will it just be their normal stats but on Steroids?

Just asking :)

(Small edit: I like the way the sprites look, and i support this suggestion.)
Oh god... don’t take this the wrong way, but I am definitely not doing that.

if you want to know why, try dealing with brain sucklers in expert multiplayer.

This idea is a little more ambitious than what I've suggested before, but I'm sure it won't be too bad. The Lunatic Cultist's attacks are much easier to dodge than other bosses once you've learned them, and as a result, I feel like if a major rework isn't done for this boss, he'll just be killed and immediately forgotten. Plus, bosses with crazy elaborate attacks are usually fun, right?

The Lunatic Cultist now has six distinct phases, denoted by the appearance of his robes (credit to @Bry-ccentric for the awesome sprites, by the way. :happy:). Phases 2-5 are meant to be interchangable and as a result aren't particularly important as to what order they appear in the final version (in fact, it's probably best if the order is randomized every time.)

View attachment 231508
Lunatic Cultist (1st phase, dark blue robes):
Similar to the expert mode fight. The only real difference is that he no longer resists homing attacks. Once he has lost 50% of his HP, he becomes intangible and recovers all of his health before switching to the next phase (if the Phantasm Dragon or Ancient Vision are alive, he remains intangible and doesn't change into the next phase until they are defeated, and cannot summon any more.)

View attachment 231506
Solar Cultist (2nd phase):
He no longer teleports, and uses the following attacks instead of his normal ones:

• Summons a javelin similar to the Daybreak, before dashing towards the player thrice. The javelin dashes along the same path that the Cultist dashed a few seconds after the Cultist's first dash.
  • The Cultist dashes to a position about 10 blocks above the player before immediately unleashing a rapid storm of projectiles similar to the ones created by the Solar Pillar, the difference being that they can no longer be destroyed.
  • The Cultist creates a summoning circle similar to the one in the first phase. Hitting a fake cultist (or waiting too long) causes him to summon a Crawltipede and creates three hallucinations similar to the Brain of Cthulhu's expert mode ability, the difference being that the hallucinations now periodically fire the destructible homing projectile used by Drakomire Riders (cannot fire this projectile while they are within 15 blocks of the player.)
  • The Cultist stops moving and gathers energy for one second, before releasing a midrange non-damaging pulse that reflects all of the player's projectiles.
  • The Cultist dashes towards the player, stopping about 5 blocks away, before gathering orange dust into a large blade (takes about 0.6 seconds to do so, design could resemble the Tizona as a little nod) and slashing with it.
  • Stabs with a spear that fires a projectile that leaves other projectiles behind it, which fall afterward (similar to the North Pole, but the initial spear projectile isn't affected by gravity and the small projectiles aren't affected by wind.)
Upon losing 75% of his max health, he becomes intangible and heals again, before going into his next phase (he cannot change phases while a crawltipede is alive, and cannot summon any more.)

View attachment 231502
Vortex Cultist (3rd phase):
He regains the ability to teleport, and uses the following attacks instead of his normal ones, attempting to predict where the player is about to be (when applicable):

• Summons a Phantasm and uses it to fire several arrows into the sky (they resemble a new arrow type with the Vortex Pillar color scheme) which fall down in random patterns for the next 5 seconds.
  • The Cultist warps offscreen and then dashes above the player while firing bullets downwards at a 45 degree angle using an alien version of the SDMG.
  • The Cultist laughs and summons 3 lightning portals above the player identical to the ones summoned by the Vortex Pillar.
  • The Cultist aims with a gun similar to a sniper rifle with a red targeting beam, before firing a very fast and strong bolt of energy which inflicts massive damage.
  • The Cultist creates a summoning circle similar to the one in the first phase. Hitting a fake cultist (or waiting too long) causes him to summon an Alien Larva (which falls to the ground, of course) and creates two clones (cap is four) that teleport towards the player before firing a shotgun blast with a vortex beater, repeating this attack until they die (stats are equal to a storm diver.)
  • The Cultist aims with a bow that looks similar to the Tsunami (but with the vortex aesthetic) and fires five Luminite Arrows which create afterimage lasers 3 times instead of 1.
Upon losing 75% of his max health, he becomes intangible and heals again, before going into his next phase (he cannot change phases while an Alien Larva, Alien Hornet, Alien Queen, or any of his clones are alive, and cannot summon any more.)

View attachment 231503
Nebula Cultist (4th phase):
He keeps his normal teleport, and he uses the following attacks instead of his normal ones.

• He fires several harmless pink stars (in a similar way to his first forms' Ancient Light attack), which he attacks with hitscan lasers after a while, causing them to send out small shockwaves for 10 blocks.
  • The Cultist charges energy for a few seconds before creating a large pink laser similar to the Phantasmal deathray, sweeping it slowly over 90 degrees.
  • The Cultist creates several pink pillars of energy in random locations 40 blocks below the player which fire upwards after 4 seconds.
  • The Cultist creates a summoning circle similar to the one in the first phase. Hitting a fake cultist (or waiting too long) causes him to summon a Nebula Floater and creates two clones (cap is four) which mimic his movements a few seconds behind, casting Ancient Shadowflames towards the player.
  • The Cultist fires pink shards in 8 directions, which travel for 20 blocks before changing direction towards the player.
  • The Cultist stops in place, and gives himself a nebula Damage Booster (boosts his attack damage by 15% per stack) Health Regen booster (enemies can't regen health, so it just boosts his defense by 10 per stack.) or Mana Regen Booster (boosts his attack speed by 15% per stack). All boosters are capped at three.
  • The Cultist only uses this attack if he has three of each booster. He rapidly fires his boosters towards the player, these boosters have low velocity, homing, and do not disappear until the Cultist next gives himself a booster.
Upon losing 75% of his max health, he becomes intangible and heals again, clearing his boosters, before going into his next phase (he cannot change phases while a Nebula Floater is alive, and cannot summon any more or give himself any boosters, he still makes the homing boosters despawn at the right time, though.)

View attachment 231507
Stardust Cultist (5th phase):
Homing attacks do not target the Cultist in this phase.
His teleport is now instantaneous, and uses the following attacks instead of his normal ones:

• He fires three rings of 12 Ancient Light projectiles around himself.
  • The Cultist creates a summoning circle similar to the one in the first phase. Hitting a fake cultist (or waiting too long) causes him to summon a Star Cell (or Phantasm Dragon if a Star Cell is alive, or Ancient Vision if both a Star Cell and Phantasm Dragon are alive.) and creates four clones which densely orbit around the cultist, do not attack, and can be killed with about the same durability as an Ancient Vision. (cap is eight clones, if the inner ring has four, then the rest of them create an outer ring that rotates the opposite direction.) (the clones do not inflict contact damage.) The Clones fire a dense cone of 3 ancient light projectiles towards the player on defeat.
  • The Cultist creates several invulnerable Ancient Dooms, and fires hitscan lasers at them to detonate them after a few seconds.
  • The Cultist creates an Ancient Frost, which rapidly fires singular projectiles in random directions at the same rate as the Vortex Beater.
  • The Cultist fires 8 Ancient Flames, which are identical to the first phase.
  • The Cultist creates an Ancient Spark, then teleports to the player's right and creates a second one, then teleports to the player's left and creates a third one, before teleporting below the player and creating a final one.
Upon losing 75% of his max health, he becomes intangible (does not heal) and despawns all clones, before going into his final phase (he cannot change phases while a Star Cell, Phantasm Dragon, or Ancient Vision is alive, and cannot summon any more.)

View attachment 231504
Terrarian Cultist (Final phase):
This phase also starts if you heal from the nurse, which be seen as either an anti-cheese measure or a super-secret way to skip most of the boss fight.

The Cultist stops and begins to draw in green energy which grows in intensity and brightness over the course of 30 seconds. If the player does not kill him over the course of this time limit, he teleports above the player and unleashes a repetition of giant shockwaves which does not stop until the Cultist or the player has been defeated. Defeating this phase results in the end of the boss fight, and the beginning of the Lunar Events!

Possibly could gain some new master mode exclusive drops:

Lunar Fulcrum:
Drops with a 100% chance.
The Lunatic Cultist has only one phase while this is in your inventory.
When equipped as an accessory, it grants one of the following effects depending on which damage type your gear increases most, picks one at random if there is a tie until you either reequip it or break the tie (with one exception):
  • Melee Damage: Striking enemies creates three homing fireballs where the hallucinations would be for them (if the player created hallucinations like the Brain of Cthulhu.) (75 melee damage each, no piercing.) Cooldown of 0.5 seconds.
  • Ranged Damage: Taking damage creates Mini-Vortex Cultist Clones (which resemble Vortex Cultist Clones, but scaled down to the player's size) which dash towards/through the enemy that inflicted the damage before firing a shotgun blast at them. (Dash does 100 ranged damage and pierces, shotgun bullets do 50 ranged damage each with no piercing.)
  • Magic Damage: A trail of four Mini-Nebula Cultist Clones follow you, which mimic your exact movements and fire projectiles identical to the nebula blaze in damage, and accuracy, as well as have a 5% chance of being blue instead of 20%, upon striking an enemy. (cooldown 2 seconds.)
  • Summon Damage: You generate one rotating Mini-Stardust Cultist Clone every second (capped at four) which can block one projectile each. Blocking a projectile destroys the Clone, and fires a homing blue star projectile towards the nearest enemy. (150 summon damage each, do not pierce). (cannot block all projectiles, and hitscan attacks like phantasmal/martian deathrays completely ignore them.)
  • Melee, Ranged, Magic, and Summon damage increased by the same amount: Taking damage causes you to send out a massive shockwave which ignores walls. Has a cooldown of three seconds. (500 damage of a random type.)
Dyeing your Light Pet slot dyes all clones.

Solar Lunatic's Robes/Mask:
Vanity items resembling the robes worn in the Solar Form, drop together with a 10% chance independant of other drops.

Vortex Lunatic's Robes/Mask:
Vanity items resembling the robes worn in the Vortex Form, drop together with a 10% chance independant of other drops.

Nebula Lunatic's Robes/Mask:
Vanity items resembling the robes worn in the Nebula Form, drop together with an 10% chance independant of other drops.

Stardust Lunatic's Robes/Mask:
Vanity items resembling the robes worn in the Solar Form, drop together with a 10% chance independant of other drops.

Terrarian Lunatic's Robes/Mask:
Vanity items resembling the robes worn in the Terrarian Form, drop together with a 10% chance independant of other drops.

Credit to @Sir. Fluff for making these.

I thought this was a great idea to increase the challenge of the fight but it seems a bit too overkill so maybe the phases should be on a time limit where he will switch between them quickly not based on health lost.

This would be such a cool thing to add into master mode. I really hope the devs add something like this and also overhaul all the boss fights for master mode. I really want master mode to be a real challenge to show your friends how good at terraria you really are

Back
Top Bottom