Mage Challenge - No other weapons

Thank you Evil BooB & HornetSlayer for sharing your experiences with this challenge, it's very very helpful. I just keep pushing through because I know that by the time I do get a weapon, I won't really have any more problems after that. I'm going off to go check those tree caverns. =D

Do you think the lack of defense on the robes is still worth it? I was debating them myself, but decided against using them. Then again, I was a bit lucky with the gypsy robe and the wizards hat. But as soon as I finish my jungle set, I'm switching over.

I'm debating that, too, actually. I'm not really sure if it is yet. My traveling merchants haven't offered me the Gypsy Robes yet. -.-[DOUBLEPOST=1412686290][/DOUBLEPOST]See, you're thinking important things while I'm thinking "What kind of caged animal am I going to keep in my dark wizards tower..?" lmao

Do you think the lack of defense on the robes is still worth it? I was debating them myself, but decided against using them. Then again, I was a bit lucky with the gypsy robe and the wizards hat. But as soon as I finish my jungle set, I'm switching over.
I definitely think it's worth it if you're balla at dodging, like me. I got the Magic Hat from this Merchant fellow and an Emerald Robe (turns out diamonds are more difficult than expected). I'll probably try to get a Meteor or Jungle set for WoF... speaking of which, I never knew... which one is better mage armor, Meteor or Jungle?

I'll probably try to get a Meteor or Jungle set for WoF... speaking of which, I never knew... which one is better mage armor, Meteor or Jungle?
Jungle/Ancient Cobalt has reduced mana cost, increased magic crit chance, and increases mana by 60
Meteor has increased magic damage, slightly higher defense, and the added bonus of Space gun consuming mana.
If you want damage, do Meteor. If you want effectiveness, go Jungle/Ancient Cobalt.

Meteor armour is for aggressive players but is not preferable for those that are inefficient with their mana, assuming you don't use the Space gun of course. Not only that, but meteor is really easy to come by.

I definitely think it's worth it if you're balla at dodging, like me. I got the Magic Hat from this Merchant fellow and an Emerald Robe (turns out diamonds are more difficult than expected). I'll probably try to get a Meteor or Jungle set for WoF... speaking of which, I never knew... which one is better mage armor, Meteor or Jungle?
From what I've read, Meteor is better than Jungle but Jungle is worth trying to get early game. Meteor is perfect with the Space Gun, though. I don't think the color of the robes effects anything except the appearance. Because I've made Amethyst, Emerald & Topaz trying to find a set that matches the Magic Hat from the Traveller, since I'm OCD like that, & nothing has really changed except the aesthetics.

I actually am attempting to do it, a lot harder then you think for a melee-biast person to not use swords!
Good luck!

Im trying to do a mage run as well, what do I do before I have a magic weapon?

Avoid enemies and try to find a weapon suitable for your class. The first magic weapon in 1.3 is probably the Wand Of Sparkling. It's very weak, but it's strong enough to take out some simple slimes and you can find them in surface chests. You could also look for a Waterbolt in the dungeon or for gems to craft a gem staff.

That's how I did jump with weapons when I was doing a mage playthrough on pre-HM:
Wand Of Sparkling > Amethyst Staff > Ruby Staff > Waterbolt (got lucky with this one) > Space Gun > Aqua Scepter (used it only in the dungeon) > some late pre-HM stuff (Flower Of Fire, Demon Scythe, etc.). I also had a Medusa Head, but didn't use it much.

Oh, and if you have a Corruption world, the Vilethorn is very useful, because it can shoot through walls. I had a Crimson world if I recall correctly, so you'd get a Crimson Rod instead. It's less useful IMO, but might be a decent weapon against goblin invasions and maybe bosses.

Back
Top Bottom