Magic: The Gathering

OK so I felt that he new forums needed an mtg thread so here it is.

I'll get the ball rolling, what's everyone's opinions on the reprinted fetch lands from kahns. Personally I've never used them standard play

It's a super huge boon to those who want to get into older formats like Legacy, as well being a very nice tool for getting your right colors for your mana base. Also, really digging the dragon skeletal remains.(Rest in peace, my babies. ; -;7)

I really haven't been playing the game much, until I went to the Khans of Tarkir pre-release. Hoping to sling more cards in the future.

How did a thread like this slip past me! I used to be big on MTG until a few years back. To cut a long story short: constraints on both time and money made me abandon the hobby, though I'm eager to get started again as soon as circumstances allow me to.

Haven't checked out Khans of Tarkir all that much just yet. The term "fetch lands" got dropped a couple of times among some of the more veteran players down at the shop where I used to hang out. Personally, I haven't got too much experience with them, but mana boosting abilities have always been popular, judging by the way those cards' prices always tend to skyrocket fairly quickly.

I guess the Outlast ability is going to make for some crazy gameplay. Just splash those +1/+1 tokens and get those makeshift Slivers rolling!

We tried to play MTG the other night for the first time...it was confusing. We also tried DnD.... that was even more confusing. Seems like a fun game though! :p

Cenx has begun her journey :p my girlfriend got me into both. I play black green, and a black blue deck.

I once had some Magic The Gathering cards laying around, never actually learned how to play the game though and I doubt I had enough cards to play. I like the novels though.

Yay! A Magic The Gathering thread!

I started playing the game around the time Theros was released, although I never really took it beyond a casual level. After taking part in several drafts, I decided to take the plunge and build a serious deck for the Khans of Tarkir gameday, that being Mono-Red (also known as Rabble Red). Now I'm looking to build a Red & White aggro deck for standard and I'm looking to make a start in Modern at some point.

So, what does everyone think of think of the 3 colour standard format we have currently? Personally, I'm not a fan of it due to how expensive it is to get a decent mana base, hence why I'm going "Screw that! I'm building Boros!" :p

So, what does everyone think of think of the 3 colour standard format we have currently? Personally, I'm not a fan of it due to how expensive it is to get a decent mana base, hence why I'm going "Screw that! I'm building Boros!" :p

As my MTG career is still in limbo at the moment I haven't tried playing a three-colour Tarkir deck, but judging from my general (though modest) knowledge of deck building principles, I can imagine they're a right pain in the behind to balance properly.

From what I've read on the official website this "colour wedge" thing is exclusive to the set Khans of Tarkir and it's going to disappear later down the block. From a story perspective, this is related to the fact that the entire block is going to be a time travel story. The second set will probably involve a journey to a past where dragons had not yet gone extinct. The last set, then, might result in an alternate future, where the clans from Khans of Tarkir were never formed, thus getting rid of the colour wedges that each represent the one aspect of the Dragon around which they were founded.

As my MTG career is still in limbo at the moment I haven't tried playing a three-colour Tarkir deck, but judging from my general (though modest) knowledge of deck building principles, I can imagine they're a right pain in the behind to balance properly.

From what I've read on the official website this "colour wedge" thing is exclusive to the set Khans of Tarkir and it's going to disappear later down the block. From a story perspective, this is related to the fact that the entire block is going to be a time travel story. The second set will probably involve a journey to a past where dragons had not yet gone extinct. The last set, then, might result in an alternate future, where the clans from Khans of Tarkir were never formed, thus getting rid of the colour wedges that each represent the one aspect of the Dragon around which they were founded.

I hope we get more options for dual colours. I personally prefer to stick to either two or one colour decks as they are easier to build and manage. Three colour decks are a bit of a headache to get right as you have to think about how your mana is spread more, how you're going to access that mana, how you're going to balance out the creatures and/or spells available with those 3 colours, so on so forth. I'm really hoping for more deck building options come Fate Reforged and Dragons of Tarkir. The already revealed Yasova Dragonclaw fills me with some hope as it could be used outside a Temur deck.

I should really have a more in-depth look at the cards from the current set. If they've been any smart, they'll probably have made at least one of the mana in the mana cost of most tripple-coloured cards a duo-colour. (wow, that sounded hella confusing!)

So, some more spoilers for Fate Reforged have been posted and I am now super hyped for this set. The highlight for me has to be this guy:

archfiendofdepravity.jpg

This card fills me with hope for mono-black devotion...provided we get a few more cards. I could also see it sliding into a few more decks as well. A 5/4 flier for 5 mana is pretty decent, but it's the effect that impresses me a lot. Decks that use a lot of tokens or creatures are going to hate this guy.

Has anyone else seen the spoilers for this set? If so what do you think?

I haven't bought cards since Theros.

But I love this game and it's easy enough to play via chat and whatnot using an honor system.

I have 3 main decks that I like to use. Bloody Carnival (Rakdos themed), Royal Army (Knights and soldiers), and my ninja deck that I luckily found online for like $20.

If anyone would like to play sometime lemme know.

I played this game a lot back in college. So many memories. Haven't played in a long while but still have a closet full of cards. Mostly revised edition. No power nine's though. Lots of green and red agro building for me. Been playing Scroll's from Mojang and it's pretty good too and less costly.

Sweet, Magic. :> I don't play much despite having, like, 8 decks (all themed after characters of mine, and as such, really awful because they're themed, not optimized), but M:tG has been a huge part of my life since sixth grade, right when I started getting into art. If it weren't for Slivers (which got me into Magic, and I am SO ANGRY at what they did to Slivers visually in the newer sets), I don't think I'd be where I am now, art-wise. Magic card art is pretty much one of my favorite forms of art, ever.

I have no opinion on fancy lands, as I refuse to play Standard; it's way too expensive to keep Standard decks with how quickly the blocks turn over, and the last block and the current block have been fairly uninteresting to me in regards to their lore and visuals (then again, I really liked Innistrad even though gothic horror themes are overdone as fjsdklhsfds, but at least they did it in an interesting way). Bring back Zendikar and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor!!!

Theme decks are the best kind.

Sperglords usually ruin games for me, though.

There was a tourney at the ComicCon in New Orleans last weekend and I lost the first round. Apparently there were people who actually researched the deck types and whatnot before the set came out so they could have an advantage over other folks.

These people are the worst kind of gamers.

Theme decks are the best kind.

Sperglords usually ruin games for me, though.

There was a tourney at the ComicCon in New Orleans last weekend and I lost the first round. Apparently there were people who actually researched the deck types and whatnot before the set came out so they could have an advantage over other folks.

These people are the worst kind of gamers.

That's par for the course for card games. People want to know about the newer sets, and what to expect in terms of deck types and cards. You can't walk in without doing some research or preparation if you want to do well. I do not find this to be disrespectful or anything in my opinion, it's a major part of tournament play.

Back
Top Bottom