Game Mechanics Magical House

Nemo

Terrarian
How about a house you can summon into any world?

There will be just one house that exist independently of any world - per character.

When you summon it into a world, it will displace whatever was there. Now whenever you enter worlds you summon the house into, the house will be there - it will be the same house.

You can do in the house everything you could do in a normal house,
  • place chests to store stuff
  • place crafting stations
  • create rooms for NPCs - whether a room will have an NPC will depend on the world you are in.
Effectively a portable house so you don't have to rebuild in every new world.

PS:

As for implementation ...

Perhaps have the player find a Magical House Key[1] which when used teleports the player into a void with,
  • 3 indestructible blocks
    • which they will be standing on and will be their spawn point always when they enter the world
  • a special crafting bench sitting on aforementioned 3 blocks
    • also indestructible and is unmovable
The crafting bench will be solely used to craft single-use Magical House Summoning Scepters to summon the house into various worlds[2]. The house will spawn around the player when summoned with the player at the house's spawn point.

You can then build your house while in the void around those 3 indestructible blocks. Everything that you build in the void will be summoned into the various worlds - e.g. you build an arena in the void 200 blocks from your house, that arena will be summoned into the world too.

Once the house is summoned into a world, it will always be there when you enter it - i.e. the game automatically loads in the house when you enter the world.

Details:
  • Every wall you place in the void will displace whatever wall and block in the world you summon the house into.
  • NPCs and mobs in the area being displaced are instantly killed.
  • All alterations to the house have to be done in the void. You cannot alter the house when you and it are in a world - i.e.
    • you cannot place items
    • you cannot destroy or add blocks/walls
  • Items can however be added to and removed from chests while in a world.
  • [Edit] The Magical House Summoning Scepters would be quite involved to make to prevent players from abusing the feature and moving their house every few feet they take. Alternatively, make it multiple use and cheap to make but with a lengthy cooldown per world, e.g. 24 real world hours.
[1] There could be many scattered in chests around any world but they all lead to the same place.
[2] And maybe a Magical House Unsummoning Scepter to remove a house from a world.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly - it's like a piggy bank or safe, but instead is a house?

I think the idea would take a lot of polishing on the details, but could be super cool

As I said before, great idea, but there are some things that I think need to be cleared up:
  1. When you first start your world, would you be able to build in the area that it occupies?
  2. Can you build as far into the void as the world is wide, or is it a set distance? (seems to be 403 blocks)
  3. When you say displace, do you mean that everything is just gone, dropped, or removed and saved for when you (maybe) unsummon the House?
  4. Would there be any limit to how often/in what worlds you can summon the house? Because it would be awfully annoying to have a house spawning war.
It could be something like a cloud island directly above the spawn point, and the cloud is always the same shape, but you can build onto it however you want (within the borders), and it would be saved in the character files, then you just fly up and your house is there, as Snork said, a piggy bank for a house. I'm not trying to change your entire idea here, just trying to help build it into something the devs would implement.

As I said before, great idea, but there are some things that I think need to be cleared up:
  1. When you first start your world, would you be able to build in the area that it occupies?
  2. Can you build as far into the void as the world is wide, or is it a set distance? (seems to be 403 blocks)
  3. When you say displace, do you mean that everything is just gone, dropped, or removed and saved for when you (maybe) unsummon the House?
  4. Would there be any limit to how often/in what worlds you can summon the house? Because it would be awfully annoying to have a house spawning war.
It could be something like a cloud island directly above the spawn point, and the cloud is always the same shape, but you can build onto it however you want (within the borders), and it would be saved in the character files, then you just fly up and your house is there, as Snork said, a piggy bank for a house. I'm not trying to change your entire idea here, just trying to help build it into something the devs would implement.

1. You can build as you normally do in any world. The Magical House is optional.

2. Up to the developers as to how large a structure your Magical House could be.

3. I meant that everything the house is summoned over is destroyed. However if it’s not too much trouble, the developers could retain the original area for when a house is unsummoned.

4. Not sure what you mean by “house spawning war”. I figured the Magical House Summoning Sceptre would be a bit involved to make so people don’t abuse the feature and keep summoning their house every few steps they take.

Okay, that clears up some stuff. I didn't see that the Magical House Summoning Scepters were single use until now, I was thinking of two people with the scepters just summoning houses over and over until everyone just left.

Back
Top Bottom