Items Magnet sphere tome buff

Daiyousei.

Terrarian
I genuinely think this weapon missed a chance to get improved in 1.4.1 update, so I have a few bits of ideas for it.

-Basically allow it to spawn multiple magnet spheres at the same time so it's less irrelevant and have better dps.

-Magnetic spheres shot should also go through blocks rather than despawning slowly.

-Allow magnetic spheres to damage more than one enemy to improve it's crowd control.

Yo overhaul mod devs, you can probably put this change in your mod.

I've always found the Magnet Sphere to be more than adequate. It does a good job with multiple enemies despite only being able to spawn one, and it's slow movement means it's able to repeatedly hit targets. Being able to spawn more than one, or allowing it to pass through blocks would make it overpowered at the time you get it, IMO.

The problem with buffing Magnet Sphere to be a good primary weapon is that it's already a great secondary weapon. It's DPS isn't even bad, it uses barely any mana and you can chuck the sphere somewhere, then hide behind a wall while it kills stuff. I'd like to highlight that full wall-piercing is an enormous buff to the Magnet Sphere. As far as hardmode Dungeon weapons go, the only other weapon with that trait (off the top of my head) is Nettle Burst, which has much shorter range and doesn't last anywhere near as long.

I don't consider it a primary weapon, especially not for mages. To me, it's of most use to other classes.

As a mage, it leaves you vulnerable to attack. If you fire it to the right, it is of no help on the left.

It's low mana cost (low enough that a player who hasn't upgraded their mana stars at all can use it) and it's slow traverse time suggest to me that it is a support weapon, designed to aid rather than assault.

Mage gear has limited affect on the sphere as well; as the weapon doesn't need firing often mana saving armour/accessories have no affect, and damage can be increased with crystal ball and magic power potion, both of which are available to other classes.

Melee builds are where it helps me the most - fire one off to lower enemies health before they get to you, and finish them of with your main weapon once in reach.

I guess if you play pure mage it's not the best weapon - you would need to fire it off a lot to keep it near you, which kind of defeats the purpose of it travelling slowly for so long. I'm not a fan of pure classes though, so I couldn't really say for sure, and others might find it a good assault weapon.

I don't consider it a primary weapon, especially not for mages. To me, it's of most use to other classes.

As a mage, it leaves you vulnerable to attack. If you fire it to the right, it is of no help on the left.

It's low mana cost (low enough that a player who hasn't upgraded their mana stars at all can use it) and it's slow traverse time suggest to me that it is a support weapon, designed to aid rather than assault.

Mage gear has limited affect on the sphere as well; as the weapon doesn't need firing often mana saving armour/accessories have no affect, and damage can be increased with crystal ball and magic power potion, both of which are available to other classes.

Melee builds are where it helps me the most - fire one off to lower enemies health before they get to you, and finish them of with your main weapon once in reach.

I guess if you play pure mage it's not the best weapon - you would need to fire it off a lot to keep it near you, which kind of defeats the purpose of it travelling slowly for so long. I'm not a fan of pure classes though, so I couldn't really say for sure, and others might find it a good assault weapon.
Yeah that's exactly my point. It works great as a secondary weapon that you can fire and let it work while you swap to something else. OP's buffs would make it better as a primary weapon if you wanted, but then it's too powerful if it's supplemental to your main DPS.
I will contest it being less useful on pure mage though. It's great for hit and run healing with the Spectre Hood, plus its damage is buffed quite a bit with mage armour and accessories.

Yeah that's exactly my point. It works great as a secondary weapon that you can fire and let it work while you swap to something else. OP's buffs would make it better as a primary weapon if you wanted, but then it's too powerful if it's supplemental to your main DPS.
I will contest it being less useful on pure mage though. It's great for hit and run healing with the Spectre Hood, plus its damage is buffed quite a bit with mage armour and accessories.
This.
Plus you can switch to another weapon while the magnet spare does its job.
For example, you can almost completely cover one side of the OOA arena with some sentries, + magnet sphere + rainbow gun, while you fight enemies on the other side. (needs to be repeated a few times, but anyway)

I can see where it would be good with the Spectre Hood, but that is one I usually avoid. My main play style is glass cannon, so I tend to go for damage maxing gear.

Back
Top Bottom