Xbox One Major issue with "AutoSave" and "Save & Exit"

WageSlave

Terrarian
The "Autosave" and "Save & Exit" features are not working properly in my Xbox One X instance of Terraria. Autosave is enabled, however the sunflower icon won't stop spinning in the corner of the screen. This would seem to indicate that progress is being saved, but it is not. If I "Save & Exit" the game then the menu that displays immediately indicates save progress at 99%... but the display is frozen at that value, no further save progress will display. I can only quit Terraria completely at that point via the Xbox One option of quitting a game. When I restart Terraria I've then lost all progress since whenever the previous successful save had occurred, usually quite some time prior.

Is your console's power mode set to Instant on?

Also, do you have other worlds/players? Does saving not work for those as well?

The console's power setting is set to Instant On. I have only one player/character set up for the Xbox One instance of Terraria. I have only experienced this issue in one world so far (large world in Expert mode). I haven't tried using the character in other worlds to see if the issue is consistent across all.

I've edited the video settings to set the Parallax value to 0% and disabled the other setting options. Though I had not made any changes to the video settings since initially installing the game on this console. The game now successfully Autosaves, however when I "Save & Exit" it will still lock up at the status screen. At that time I have to quit Terraria via the Xbox One option to do so. Any unsaved progress since the last successful save is lost. This has significantly impacted my progress and enjoyment with the game.

Okay. While Instant-on is great, it has the drawback that the console rarely if ever gets a full restart. The console may start having weird issues after a while. Usually the solution is to make a full restart when this happens. The easiest way to do that is simply pressing the Xbox-button on the controller until the power menu pops up, then select the Restart option.

With the Terraria video settings changed as previously described, after a console restart (which I had done multiple times previously while trying to troubleshoot this issue to find the cause and a fix) the Autosave and "Save & Exit" functionalities are working once again. I won't be changing the video settings back to the defaults, it works now... if it works, don't change anything. It is very odd that this issue hadn't occurred prior to yesterday though.

Great that it's working now! Enjoy the game :)

I honestly doubt the video settings are the culprit, but as long as you are happy with it, don't change anything.

I was hasty, Autosave works only until I battle Plantera and/or the Golem (likely any other boss as well). Upon doing so the sunflower icon appears again, spinning away endlessly, and no progress is saved. Attempting to "Save & Exit" also fails... again. Allowing the character to die (e.g., long bath in lava) doesn't save progress either.

Hmm, I just noticed that Xbox Live are having some issues right now in my area. Maybe you are affected as well. Could be the reason your having issues.
You can check status of the xbox live services with the Xbox Assist app.

Another possibility is that there's broken meta data in your account. You can test this if you play with a secondary account for a while. If this is the reason for your issues, you can fix it by Deleteing your account from the console, Restart, then Re-download your account from the cloud.
Doing this is a bit scary as it completely removes your account and save data from the console. Everything should be safe in the cloud though, as long as you are connected to Xbox Live and isn't in offline mode.
If your's the only account on the console, you might wan't to consider doing a Factory Reset instead. You can keep games installed so that you don't have to reinstall them again, but your account and save data will be removed from the console.

Btw, do you have external storage attached to your console?

Last edited:
I’m currently stuck at the save screen and have been for the past 40 minutes if not more. And I’m afraid that my only option is to exit through the Xbox menu

I'm having the exact same problem. I've nearly 300 hours into this game and do NOT want to start over. HELP!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom