Weapons & Equip Make a new "Reaver Shark" as an obsidian/lava fish themed pre-hardmode drill accessible from pre-hardmode lava fishing.

Playnhero

Terrarian
As in 1.4 Reaver Shark got nerfed so much that it basically unusable (fishing will let you get enough platinum/gold to get a pickaxe that is as strong and faster, sooner that you will get it) I wish to propose something that would comfort the players that like the freedom that pre-hardmode used to give with meteorite and RS (like me), while also keeping the progression-breaking haters satisfied:

Make an obsidian and/or lava themed drill fish (or as Baconfry suggested: a narwhal) that would be a rare drop from lava fishing (I would think of something along the demon conch or lava bucket/sponge rarity level but making it even rarer is also fine), maybe even adding the requirement to be fished in underworld, that will have 100% pickaxe power and faster speed than molten pickaxe. This way the people that really want to break progression can be happy with a very high time and effort investment, and people that cannot live without normal progression being the go to will still be satisfied that it's not even remotely as fast and easy like it used to be with "just bombing the metorite" or "just fishing out RS".

And even forgetting the whole "player freedom" discussions, I think this is what the original RS was meant to be - a high end pre-hardmode gear that will make players consider the idea to try fishing/reward the players that actually like fishing. It's just that RS was actually too game changing for some people, and not even for how early you could have gotten it, but rather how fast and easily you could have gotten it. And making the fish pre-hardmode drill would also pair up nicely with Sawtooth Shark - a fish pre-hardmode chainsaw.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Problem with locking pre-1.4 Reaver Shark behind lava fishing is, lavaproof bug net need hellstone as material. Other means of lava fishing is hardmode hotline hook and lavaproof fishing hook from obsidian crate, they are available even later than lavaproof bug net. So we need to make at least one of them available earlier first.

Problem with locking pre-1.4 Reaver Shark behind lava fishing is, lavaproof bug net need hellstone as material. Other means of lava fishing is hardmode hotline hook and lavaproof fishing hook from obsidian crate, they are available even later than lavaproof bug net. So we need to make at least one of them available earlier first.
You can get the golden bug net from angler which can catch lava critters, so it is possible to lava fish before obtaining hellstone, if you really want to spend time on fishing and dying in underworld to get lava bait (like I did) you can get lavaproof fishing hook before fighting any boss.

You can get the golden bug net from angler which can catch lava critters, so it is possible to lava fish before obtaining hellstone, if you really want to spend time on fishing and dying in underworld to get lava bait (like I did) you can get lavaproof fishing hook before fighting any boss.

I completely forgot about golden bug net. But being a super rare reward from fishing quest, more like it will slow down progression instead lol.

I completely forgot about golden bug net. But being a super rare reward from fishing quest, more like it will slow down progression instead lol.
Being slow is the whole point so that the progression-skipping haters will not be constantly whining about it being too easy to skip their beloved progression xD

Being slow is the whole point so that the progression-skipping haters will not be constantly whining about it being too easy to skip their beloved progression xD
I mean, it seem a whole lot slower than normal progression, hoping day by day that Angler going to give golden bug net one day.

I mean, it seem a whole lot slower than normal progression, hoping day by day that Angler going to give golden bug net one day.
True, compared to normal progression it's basically snail speed, and consider that you need to get lucky not only in getting the golden bug net, underworld bait farming is really bad without progression gear, especially on master where you can easily get oneshot if you're not careful. And because it becomes hard to skip progression only people who actually skip progression are the ones who do it for the sake of itself (like me), meanwhile people who did it before because it was saving time will not even consider it.

Which makes me hope this idea will maybe get noticed by the devs and at least considered, as this freedom to technically do whatever you want is what I always loved in pre-hardmode terraria and I am fine if they make it much harder to skip progress as long as they only leave a possibility to do so.

Last edited:
If people wanna shortcut progression, they need to play Journey Mode (like I do). Use the piggy bank trick to catch three of a given quest fish, use two to research and the other to complete the quest. Before you know it, you can just duplicate any quest fish and be done with a quest in 10 seconds. Hell, you can even set the time to dusk and then dawn to skip to the next quest (you can't just skip to dawn during the day, or the angler won't get a new quest for you).

If people wanna shortcut progression, they need to play Journey Mode (like I do). Use the piggy bank trick to catch three of a given quest fish, use two to research and the other to complete the quest. Before you know it, you can just duplicate any quest fish and be done with a quest in 10 seconds. Hell, you can even set the time to dusk and then dawn to skip to the next quest (you can't just skip to dawn during the day, or the angler won't get a new quest for you).
If people want to REALLY shortcut progression on any mode they can just skip the whole pre-hardmode by just killing WoF with dynamite - literally available as soon as the demolitionist moves in and is even more overpowered than Reaver Shark can ever even hope to be. In fact we should just make dynamite only available post Moon Lord and cost 999 Platinum per unit /s

In journey mode you can just turn on godmode and do some meme stuff like going to dungeon right away to get golden keys from normal chests and researching them and accessing dungeon stuff without ever beating Skeletron, beating bosses with just a copper shortsword and literally anything you ever wanted, literally the only thing that stops you there is the time it takes to pull some stunts. While I appreciate Journey mode for that, I like playing on Expert/Master mode just to see how far can a 100 HP character get without ever beating a boss and I loved the fact that with Reaver Shark I used to be able to basically have the whole Pre-Hardmode open to me, with the feeling of being free to do whatever I want. It's just the way that I enjoy the game, and I don't expect everyone else to prefer this style of play. But what I dislike, is people being not only annoyed that I choose the option they hate when they have nothing stopping them from choosing their own ways (feel free to dislike me for any reason though), but also forcing me to choose the same options as them, as if it's not the game itself that they enjoy but rather forcing a rigid playstyle onto everyone else.

Also, why fish out 3 quest fishes when you can just duplicate the 3rd one from the menu, it's slightly faster than waiting for that 3rd one to bite xD

Last edited:
If people want to REALLY shortcut progression on any mode they can just skip the whole pre-hardmode by just killing WoF with dynamite - literally available as soon as the demolitionist moves in and is even more overpowered than Reaver Shark can ever even hope to be. In fact we should just make dynamite only available post Moon Lord and cost 999 Platinum per unit /s

In journey mode you can just turn on godmode and do some meme stuff like going to dungeon right away to get golden keys from normal chests and researching them and accessing dungeon stuff without ever beating Skeletron, beating bosses with just a copper shortsword and literally anything you ever wanted, literally the only thing that stops you there is the time it takes to pull some stunts. While I appreciate Journey mode for that, I like playing on Expert/Master mode just to see how far can a 100 HP character get without ever beating a boss and I loved the fact that with Reaver Shark I used to be able to basically have the whole Pre-Hardmode open to me, with the feeling of being free to do whatever I want. It's just the way that I enjoy the game, and I don't expect everyone else to prefer this style of play. But what I dislike, is people being not only annoyed that I choose the option they hate when they have nothing stopping them from choosing their own ways (feel free to dislike me for any reason though), but also forcing me to choose the same options as them, as if it's not the game itself that they enjoy but rather forcing a rigid playstyle onto everyone else.
Fair points, to each their own.

Also, why fish out 3 quest fishes when you can just duplicate the 3rd one from the menu, it's slightly faster than waiting for that 3rd one to bite xD
You don't need three to research. You can just put them into research upon catching.
True, I'm still getting used to the whole mode. I have moments like these where it finally hits me that I can just duplicate something lol

If people want to REALLY shortcut progression on any mode they can just skip the whole pre-hardmode by just killing WoF with dynamite - literally available as soon as the demolitionist moves in and is even more overpowered than Reaver Shark can ever even hope to be

I know it's beside the point, but watching a video on it, it still seems like a fair bit of trouble to build a bridge in the Underworld, throw Dynamite at the right time while destroying your bridge and then kill the wall. A lot more can go wrong surrounding those circumstances and feels more difficult than what obtaining the Reaver Shark was

I know it's beside the point, but watching a video on it, it still seems like a fair bit of trouble to build a bridge in the Underworld, throw Dynamite at the right time while destroying your bridge and then kill the wall. A lot more can go wrong surrounding those circumstances and feels more difficult than what obtaining the Reaver Shark was
Since it sounds that you have never tried this strat, you can just spend a bit of time practicing on some endgame character or nowadays you can just practice it on journey godmode, it really doesn't take too long to get good at it. And building a bridge in underworld is (or at least was) the main way of dealing with WoF on any mode. Also, I could make a similar point that Reaver Shark is not too unbalanced as it's slow (slower than gold pick) and to really get a use out of it you need to mine hellstone in underworld which can go wrong really quickly if you're not careful (we assume you skipped good armor and weapons, since that is what you would do going for a progression skip, though meteorite would have made it much easier pre-1.4), same as doing literally anything in underworld, whether it's ore collection or arena building.

Obviously you could argue that on normal you would go hellstone armor and then build your arena when stuff doesn't 1-2 shot you, but on expert/master you would not really bother with it since extra defense is generally a waste of time. And again, on normal mode people usually play with progression if they're new, or just play casually with skipping progression if they are experienced but don't want to bother with expert/master. Again, why take away something some people enjoy instead of learning not to hate other people for using their free will to skip progression?

Also, if you tried to build UW bridges for the dynamite strat and actually find getting yourself killed by demons and bats repeatedly assaulting you from the top, it's much easier than on those videos (I assume you watched Ningishu :D) if you can also just make a roof with some strategically placed holes. This way the only bothersome enemies are the imps and rarely bone serpents depending on the terrain gen, which at most slow down the building a little bit. On the videos they usually would not bother with roofing the bridge since for them its just a waste of time.

Despite the wall of text I don't really care about rushing WoF, as I said earlier I just want to do as much as possible on a 100hp character. Usually I would have gone for hellstone and then enjoy my complete freedom over my pre-hm boss-free world by just building. Which is the real reason why I really hate both the RS nerf and the metorite nerf, since meteorite is one of my favourite materials, and my main use of hellstone was for obsidian chests. But now the cool building materials are locked behind an arbitrarily "righteous" Wall of "Progression" :/

Back
Top Bottom