Game Mechanics Make favorited items remember their position after death in mediumcore

NexGenration

Terrarian
Hey terraria devs. You guys were asking for ideas for QOL updates not too long ago. Would it be possible to make it so in mediumcore, if you die with an item marked as favorite, that inventory slot remembers what item was in there so when you get back to your corpse, you don't have to spend the next 5 minutes fixing your inventory while also fighting off everything that followed you during your corpse run....I swear at least half of my master mode mediumcore run is spent just playing inventory sorting simulator.
Even better if we can put things on that slot that will then get automatically swapped out when we grab out corpse (useful for grabbing some temporary weapon to make the corpse run a bit safer) and also favorite armor/equipment/etc. for the same effect

If You Put Your "Favorited Item"
In A Chest It Will Get Removed Right?
That Happens The Same As It Is Taken Out Of Your Inventory
So It Would Be Hard For The Devs To Code And It Ruins The Lore (Cause Dying Means You Forget Everything Not Remember. It's Like It Was All A Dream)

If You Put Your "Favorited Item"
In A Chest It Will Get Removed Right?
That Happens The Same As It Is Taken Out Of Your Inventory
So It Would Be Hard For The Devs To Code And It Ruins The Lore (Cause Dying Means You Forget Everything Not Remember. It's Like It Was All A Dream)
in terms of the lore, wouldnt dropping your items and having to do a corpse run break that whole concept in the first place?
in terms of implementing this, dying could just mark that inventory slot with what should go back into the slot

Lore isn't really the issue, this isn't a lore-focused game. However, this still seems like a heck of a lot of work for one game mode.

I don't think that's a good take on the matter. It seems like a lot of work, yes, but you know what else is a lot of work? Sorting your inventory whenever you die in Mediumcore. Mediumcore, while not the most popular way to play, is something most people try once, and many (Such as myself) would be a lot more receptive to giving Mediumcore if there was a couple more QoL changes such as this, and would make people like NexGen here enjoy their current playthrough much more.

I don't think that's a good take on the matter. It seems like a lot of work, yes, but you know what else is a lot of work? Sorting your inventory whenever you die in Mediumcore. Mediumcore, while not the most popular way to play, is something most people try once, and many (Such as myself) would be a lot more receptive to giving Mediumcore if there was a couple more QoL changes such as this, and would make people like NexGen here enjoy their current playthrough much more.
Exactly! i think the inventory sorting thing is probably the biggest part of what makes death so painful in mediumcore.

its one thing that you have to figure out a way to safely get back to your corpse, which btw gets more and more challenging as the game progresses (especially upon entering HM) as the game starts requiring you to take more of your spare gear just to survive the death run as well as requiring the player to make decisions on which items would best help them get back to that specific spot in the world without also risking loosing that gear as well and eventually running out of things to use for these death runs. that is an interesting challenge to give to the player.

but then you finally get back to your corpse and you have to quickly shuffle through your crap to find either some weapon to help defend off whatever was following you to your corpse or whatever monster has picked up 1 single coin that allows that monster to never despawn and just sit there guarding your corpse like its his trophy for killing you, or find your mirror/cell phone to quickly teleport out with. then often times you cant even pick half of it up cuz a large portion of it is equipables, so if you do teleport out, you gota go back again to pick up the rest. and god help you if your voidbag eats your cell phone so fighting things off is the only option. and even if all that isnt much of an issue, like maybe you die in some location that you can easily get back to with no issue....well you still have a massive chore of fixing your entire hotbar, every single equipable, and any other items you always want in the same place like your trough/voidbag, potions, etc. ive stopped using all the fancy dyes you get with strange plants just because of this issue. its just not fun to have to do this after every single death imo

Back
Top Bottom