Game Mechanics Make godmode unlockable in Journey mode after defeating Moon Lord

poll

• Lock godmode behind Moon Lord.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Activating godmode pre-Moon Lord causes bosses to despawn.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Godmode remains available from the start.

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Lock Journey mode itself behind Moon Lord.

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
The nice thing about Journey mode is that everything you achieve in Journey mode is legitimately achievable in other worlds. The only difference is that you don't need to grind for resources.

...or that would be the case, were it not for the fact that Godmode is available from the very start. Godmode is the only outlier in what would otherwise be a perfectly authentic Terraria experience. Removing Godmode until post-ML would force people to learn how to defeat every boss legitimately (or at least at 0.5x difficulty), and I think that's a good thing. Godmode is basically a free win button, and it is no different from giving someone a Zenith to replace their Copper Shortsword at the start of the game. (In case you wanted to argue that "people can choose not to use it" or something. They could also "choose not to use" the Zenith they got for free.)

I have two potential proposals:

1. Simply make Godmode unavailable until Moon Lord has been defeated.
2. Activating godmode pre-Moon Lord causes bosses to despawn instantly.

Let me know how you feel about the way Godmode was implemented in Journey mode. It bothers me a lot, but I know I don't speak for everyone.

I like how things are set up now. I have Journey mode for my creative side. With that if I want to build without having to stop every minute or so to deal with spawns, I can. For regular Terraria gameplay, I have the non-Journey options. Because Terraria has been a game of role play and/or creative sides to it, I've never run out of reasons to play it. As a mobile player, over the years I spent endless hours grinding/gathering materials to FINALLY build something that was in my head. Then lose it all when my device turned into a brick. I have no wish to repeat those hours. Since the developers updated the game to be able to save my players/worlds to an external source AND added Journey mode, my enjoyment of Terraria has gone up exponentially by a googleplex factor. (Ok- just a wee bit of an exaggeration there. LOL) jmho fwiw

I personally really don't see any point to this. Let people play the game how they want to, if they want to use godmode for building, that's cool. If they want to use it to cheese bosses, that's cool. If they don't want to use it ever that's also cool. No reason to abitrarily restrict player's options when there's no clear benefit of doing so IMO. It's up to people how they want to play the game.

With that if I want to build without having to stop every minute or so to deal with spawns, I can.
I mean, option 2 covers that as well, since it's just godmode but you can't use it against bosses. (You can also turn spawn rate to zero.)

I personally really don't see any point to this. Let people play the game how they want to, if they want to use godmode for building, that's cool. If they want to use it to cheese bosses, that's cool. If they don't want to use it ever that's also cool. No reason to abitrarily restrict player's options when there's no clear benefit of doing so IMO. It's up to people how they want to play the game.
It's weird because every other aspect of Journey mode is designed so that you actually have to play the game. Godmode is inconsistent with that because a huge part of the game is upgrading gear and fighting bosses, and it basically lets you skip that. (It also makes the difficulty slider completely obsolete; what reason does Journey difficulty (0.5x) have to exist when you can just use Godmode?)

I wouldn't have minded Godmode if it were available in a more traditional rendition of creative mode, but it seems that the team has gone to great lengths to make sure Journey mode would be *an actual journey* where you have to unlock everything legitimately, and not just a creative mode that hands you everything from the start. In which case Godmode makes considerably less sense.

The problem I havr with Godmode is that it basically means achievements are moot. Granted it’s already possible to cheat achievements with mods and inventory editors, but Godmode is an excuse to just fo through and grab achievements with literally zero effort.

The main issue I see with these arguments is that journey mode is made to be a relaxing, laid back experience, where you can get the satisfaction from building, gathering resources, exploring and fighting without the risk of creating a gigantic graveyard around your world. Yes, boss fights are one of the most important parts of the game, and they are really fun - but they can also be extremely stressful, especially if you can't get past a certain boss for days or weeks straight. Godmode essentially allows the player to choose - if they like the fight, want to feel the satisfaction of killing the boss legitimately - they will fight without godmode. If they just want to progress further, or just want the cool drops from the boss, they can fight it with godmode.

...Also, I really don't understand your argument about comparing "not using godmode" to "not using a free zenith". Unlike the Zenith, godmode doesn't just instantly kill the bosses for you - you still have to fight them with the weapons you currently can aquire. This is important for newer players, as the game has no tutorial system, and the guide doesn't help that much, so they have no way of knowing how a boss will act at first. Fighting it in godmode will at least give them a better understanding of how the boss works and which weapons work better against it, instead of the player just dying within the first 3 seconds of the fight.

Everyone who says they need godmode to build in peace and that it shouldn’t be locked has completely forgotten that they can just turn off enemy spawns and it’s just as effective, in fact it might be even more effective because you can’t build inside of entities and it prevents them from getting in your way, so anyone saying it would disrupt building peacefully if they locked it behind moonlord is straight up wrong. I support this as it made achievements even less meaningful than they already were. You can also stop bosses from spawning naturally, too, by turning the time to day or pausing it.

...Also, I really don't understand your argument about comparing "not using godmode" to "not using a free zenith". Unlike the Zenith, godmode doesn't just instantly kill the bosses for you - you still have to fight them with the weapons you currently can aquire. This is important for newer players, as the game has no tutorial system, and the guide doesn't help that much, so they have no way of knowing how a boss will act at first. Fighting it in godmode will at least give them a better understanding of how the boss works and which weapons work better against it, instead of the player just dying within the first 3 seconds of the fight.
Godmode still makes it impossible to fail a boss battle, and I doubt that any boss can kill a player in the first 3 seconds if they're actually trying. Even if you end up shooting Plantera with a sad little Laser Rifle, you will eventually win. Also, Journey mode has it much easier than Classic because you can start every battle with endurance/regeneration/exquisitely stuffed, basically for free. Not to mention that you can also fight at 0.5x difficulty, and I don't see people taking days or weeks to beat bosses at the lowest possible difficulty if they're geared appropriately.

edit: I just killed Moon Lord using Hallowed armor, unreforged Nebula Arcanum, and only Well Fed + Mana Regeneration, making no attempt to dodge any of its attacks. I was in no danger of dying at any point.

Last edited:
So you can't discipline yourself from using godmode, but can from shutting down mob/boss spawning? The whole point of JM is to have a customized difficulty, which means it depends on your self-discipline 100%. If you can't control yourself from using godmode, why should you?

So you can't discipline yourself from using godmode, but can from shutting down mob/boss spawning? The whole point of JM is to have a customized difficulty, which means it depends on your self-discipline 100%. If you can't control yourself from using godmode, why should you?
Right, but you can't make progress in the game without spawning bosses, since the progression checks are literally tied to which bosses you've killed. Also I'm pretty sure bosses are completely unaffected by the spawn rate slider.

Also I'm pretty sure bosses are completely unaffected by the spawn rate slider.
This is correct. I practice my boss nohits with it set to 0x all the time. I’m fairly certain that as long as a boss isn’t tied to an invasion it completely ignores the spawn rate slider. Most bosses which spawn naturally are actually dependent on time, not spawnrates.

Last edited:
I mean, option 2 covers that as well, since it's just godmode but you can't use it against bosses. (You can also turn spawn rate to zero.)

It's weird because every other aspect of Journey mode is designed so that you actually have to play the game. Godmode is inconsistent with that because a huge part of the game is upgrading gear and fighting bosses, and it basically lets you skip that. (It also makes the difficulty slider completely obsolete; what reason does Journey difficulty (0.5x) have to exist when you can just use Godmode?)

I wouldn't have minded Godmode if it were available in a more traditional rendition of creative mode, but it seems that the team has gone to great lengths to make sure Journey mode would be *an actual journey* where you have to unlock everything legitimately, and not just a creative mode that hands you everything from the start. In which case Godmode makes considerably less sense.
So don't use it then? Nobody is forcing you to turn on godmode when you fight bosses. Using godmode is entirely optional. Bosses aren't the main part of Terraria, there's lots of exploration, building etc. Maybe some people like their journey to be about exploring the world, not fighting bosses.

The way I see it, it's optional. If you don't like using godmode then just don't use it. But that's no reason to remove it from people who do like it.

So don't use it then? Nobody is forcing you to turn on godmode when you fight bosses. Using godmode is entirely optional. Bosses aren't the main part of Terraria, there's lots of exploration, building etc. Maybe some people like their journey to be about exploring the world, not fighting bosses.

The way I see it, it's optional. If you don't like using godmode then just don't use it. But that's no reason to remove it from people who do like it.
This same logic can be used to argue that we shouldn't nerf anything. Don't like how Reaver Shark can be used to skip almost all of pre-Hardmode? Don't like how you can make yourself invincible with a Slimy Saddle and Target Dummies? Don't like how Moon Lord can be cheesed with a dungeon spike? Don't use it then. Except those things were patched, presumably because the game is supposed to be at least somewhat challenging and we should try to preserve that.

At most I'd say just make it despawn bosses, it could also prevent achievements from being gained as well but that's as far as it should go.

This same logic can be used to argue that we shouldn't nerf anything. Don't like how Reaver Shark can be used to skip almost all of pre-Hardmode? Don't like how you can make yourself invincible with a Slimy Saddle and Target Dummies? Don't like how Moon Lord can be cheesed with a dungeon spike? Don't use it then. Except those things were patched, presumably because the game is supposed to be at least somewhat challenging and we should try to preserve that.
Actually, this isn't the same at all. For one, those are all unintentional, and two, especially for items like the reaver shark, "not using" them does take something away from other players; they have less choice in what items they can use to play the game because some are broken. Fixing these things means that they can be used as intended and means that players who don't want to cheese the game still have the full array of tools. Godmode is not the same; it not being their doesn't add anything to the game for those that don't use it. It's a net negative change.

Back
Top Bottom