NPCs & Enemies Make Golem harder

Blynjubitr

Terrarian
So many things coming with upcoming updates cool stuff i personally was expecting for new bosses but it is cool. About golem is it is very easy even in expert mode. Most of the time it spawns stuck inside a wall even when he is not he still doesn't have some moves that makes him hard. It doesn't makes sense that golem way too easier considering plantera. It would be nice to see a golem update with all those new features.

I think Golem would be genuinely difficult if you weren’t allowed to remove or disarm the traps in his room. That said, it is pretty hard to prevent people from just covering up the pressure plates. Maybe we can inflict Creative Shock on people who are in the temple when Golem hasn’t been defeated yet.

I think Golem would be genuinely difficult if you weren’t allowed to remove or disarm the traps in his room. That said, it is pretty hard to prevent people from just covering up the pressure plates. Maybe we can inflict Creative Shock on people who are in the temple when Golem hasn’t been defeated yet.
Well since traps does insane amount of damage that wouldn't make much sense. Instead i suggest making Golem arena bigger since we cannot dig it pre-Golem
increase golem max hp every part or some of them prevent golem spawning inside a wall (that what makes this fight pretty easy you don't have to deal with leaps) and golem doesn't even punch if you keep hitting his fist. Some new moves for expert maybe i don't know. I mean Golem beeing too easy is a problem, most of the time i don't even prepare for the fight i just go straight to the temple after plantera cuz it is so easy considering i only play on expert. Game goes too fast after plantera because golem is too easy.

I thought this was about making the fight more difficult? In what way does this not make sense?
Since you rely on RNG to set up either difficult or easy traps in that room, I don't think it would be much more difficult so much as much more irritating.

Since you rely on RNG to set up either difficult or easy traps in that room, I don't think it would be much more difficult so much as much more irritating.
Having more projectiles on the screen is always going to make a situation more difficult in my book. Not sure I understand the difference between "irritating" and "difficult" in this case. I also don't think the traps in the altar room are so bad that they could make the fight unwinnable. Besides, you only need to beat him once, after which you can clean up the temple as you please.

Having more projectiles on the screen is always going to make a situation more difficult in my book. Not sure I understand the difference between "irritating" and "difficult" in this case. I also don't think the traps in the altar room are so bad that they could make the fight unwinnable. Besides, you only need to beat him once, after which you can clean up the temple as you please.
If you add too many projectiles it becomes near-impossible to avoid them. That isn't difficult, it's just painful and forces you to stock up on regenerative items, which is why I'm not a huge fan of the Moons.

If you add too many projectiles it becomes near-impossible to avoid them. That isn't difficult, it's just painful and forces you to stock up on regenerative items, which is why I'm not a huge fan of the Moons.
In my opinion, it's simply a matter of using different counterplay--since the floor is off-limits, it becomes necessary to hug the ceiling and use your grappling hook more often. Yes, the traps are there, but they'll still only be triggered if you step on them. It's a lot more fair than the Solar Pillar, which forbids you from flying and also sends enemies flying at you horizontally from offscreen at supersonic speeds.

In my opinion, it's simply a matter of using different counterplay--since the floor is off-limits, it becomes necessary to hug the ceiling and use your grappling hook more often. Yes, the traps are there, but they'll still only be triggered if you step on them. It's a lot more fair than the Solar Pillar, which forbids you from flying and also sends enemies flying at you horizontally from offscreen at supersonic speeds.
Traps in golem arena are not regular traps i remind you they are just many spiky balls and does damage more then golem itself. They aren't easy to dodge in fact if you trigger enough impossible to dodge. Golem already has lasers now considered that much laser on the screen and traps that does huge damage fight doesn't makes sense anymore. I mean i use those traps for event arena and i am sure as hell they cover all the screen and impossible to avoid when enough are triggered. Instead make golem doesn't spawn in the wall add some new moves to its moveset increase body impact damages and you got yourself harder golem.

Traps in golem arena are not regular traps i remind you they are just many spiky balls and does damage more then golem itself. They aren't easy to dodge in fact if you trigger enough impossible to dodge. Golem already has lasers now considered that much laser on the screen and traps that does huge damage fight doesn't makes sense anymore. I mean i use those traps for event arena and i am sure as hell they cover all the screen and impossible to avoid when enough are triggered.
People mostly say Golem is easy because he's the easiest boss to cheese. In other words, Golem's strategy for killing you falls apart completely when the player can modify the playing field to his/her advantage. If you think Golem is too easy, then why not let him have the home field advantage for the first match?

I should remind you that while spiky balls are hard to dodge, it is very possible to dodge the stationary pressure plates that trigger them, especially with the aid of a Dangersense Potion. It's not like the traps will constantly be triggered if you're actually paying attention to where you land, and they won't be triggered at all if you avoid the ground entirely.

The real trick would be to make the Temple itself harder and bigger as well. Make the journey to get to the Golem a threat which raises the stakes.
As far as the Golem itself it could spawn something like Plantera's spiky balls or Mourning Wood's Greek fire.

For what it's worth the Golem actually does pack quite a punch - if you don't take it seriously then it will kick you in the shin or possibly even kill you.

I'm mostly fine with Creative Shock being implemented in a Pre-Golem Temple, but that'd really, really inconvenience me when I want to go farm more Temple traps for my oversized collection of lethal objects I should not be trusted with handling. Perhaps make the debuff persist unless you're carrying the Altar or a Picksaw (or higher tier piece of equipment)? That way we don't end up with a post-1.3 Biome Chest snag.

Frankly speaking, the entire Temple became even more of a joke than it was already considered to be ever since the range on Wire Cutters was increased, and then the Grand Design was the final nail in the coffin.

... I don't know if I can ever trust my friends in the Temple ever again though. I may be delegated to playing purely ranged attackers if something like this is considered.

For what it's worth the Golem actually does pack quite a punch - if you don't take it seriously then it will kick you in the shin or possibly even kill you.
I agree, however I can easily defeat the Golem without taking any significant damage, its all about developing a dodging rhythm, once you do, he's extremely easy to take care of.
Frankly speaking, the entire Temple became even more of a joke than it was already considered to be ever since the range on Wire Cutters was increased, and then the Grand Design was the final nail in the coffin.
Sad truth, I never go anywhere in the Temple without my Grand Design, you know how much money in wires you get there?! The Temple seems like a sad excuse for a dungeon, a gimmick that was a feeble attempt at making something close to the Dungeon but much less intrusive and more illusive. While holding the Grand Design, its a boring zig-zag descent with the same two enemies who I admit are very fun to kill in big groups, and they drop nothing of importance besides the Cell. The only real hazard are the Wooden Spikes which for some reason do more damage than the Steel spikes in the Dungeon.
People mostly say Golem is easy because he's the easiest boss to cheese.
Tru dat. But then theres also the issue with the Alter spawning in a nearby hallway and getting clipped into the ceiling preventing it from moving/firing fireballs at you, for me its happened more often than it should've...
I feel like a good way to buff him is to make him able to reach the player when jumping, for example if he IS clipped, he has the ability to jump to you like for example a Corrupt/Hallow/Crimson Mimic would jump through blocks to reach you.

why not using calamity-like projectile dodging? He can spawn a line of spiky balls with only a gap in it, so the player has to avoid the golem's attack and the falling traps. debuffs from fists (like Something which slows you, or disallow flight would be nice) would be logical too.

why not using calamity-like projectile dodging? He can spawn a line of spiky balls with only a gap in it, so the player has to avoid the golem's attack and the falling traps. debuffs from fists (like Something which slows you, or disallow flight would be nice) would be logical too.
Very few Terraria enemies have employed bullet-hell style projectile dodging- I can only think of Santa-NK1. I'd like to keep it that way. It just doesn't feel like a good fit for the continuity, and employ's the player's quick-thinking instead of typical gear and skill checks.

Very few Terraria enemies have employed bullet-hell style projectile dodging- I can only think of Santa-NK1. I'd like to keep it that way. It just doesn't feel like a good fit for the continuity, and employ's the player's quick-thinking instead of typical gear and skill checks.
I'm sure it would be a nice addition because Something like a bullet-hell fits this boss perfectly: he's in his temple with traps and he activates all of them to kill you in certain pattern. it would be original. Calamity bosses have such types of attacks and they fit in terraria quite easely. Such an original boss fight can only be benificial because it would force player to think a lot about what's happening, instead of the DPS race this boss is all about.

Right now golem is so braindead in it's moves that a regular player with wiring stuff can literally trap the golem in a dirt box and AFK him using Golem's OWN TRAPS against him. And the only attack to avoid are the one from the head, which something like rails and bumpers can allow to evade very easely.

Also, another idea: his hands should pop off when killed and start fighting as invincible ground enemies crawling trough the players and jumping at them (fighter AI should suffice). It would train the player to the moonlord's eyes.

I'm sure it would be a nice addition because Something like a bullet-hell fits this boss perfectly: he's in his temple with traps and he activates all of them to kill you in certain pattern. it would be original. Calamity bosses have such types of attacks and they fit in terraria quite easely. Such an original boss fight can only be benificial because it would force player to think a lot about what's happening, instead of the DPS race this boss is all about.
I think the problem with implementing such a bullet hell thing kind of makes the boss a little bit too un-braindead, all things considered. More projectiles might make the fight harder, but bullet hells may be taking it a little bit far. Besides, calamity's bullet hells really don't count- they're restricted, for the most part, to the post Moon Lord bosses (PBG aside, but PBG's nuke barrage can be countered by building a ceiling) so it's a bit of a different level of hardness.

Ah, so you're talking bullet hell as in Perf Hive? Personally I wouldn't call that a bullet hell, per se, because its just a wave of projectiles that are easily dodgeable. If the golem fight adds something like that, I'd support that since it isn't really bullet-hell-y while also not being too stupidly easy. Now the problem is finding a unique pattern of projectiles that the golem spawns, and where they could spawn from, since directly from the traps doesn't work. Maybe the head drops a bunch of them once it's been detached or something, like the Hive in the Perforator fight?

Back
Top Bottom