Blocks & Decoration Make hell paintings and banners immune to lava

Laluzi

Skeletron
Two words: lava slimes.

No, really. I don't need anything more than that. In normal mode, the only problem is if you accidentally mine hellstone in the wrong place, or if you mine through the sides of a ruined house. But in expert mode, getting paintings and banners out of the underworld is a race against the clock. Lava slimes can die above houses you haven't even entered yet, seeping through the platforms on each level and destroying all decorations in their path. Add in summons that can go through walls and good luck with your plunder run.

So giving them the same placed and dropped item immunity as the obsidian furniture set would be much appreciated.

I don't even know why Lava Slimes have to drop Lava in the first place. It'd be better if they had some sort of fiery explosion upon death, still forcing the player to be careful when killing them and making it much less of a hassle to deal with them when building hell bridges or trying to gather decorations in the underworld(as you've already pointed out.) You could argue that it is the purpose of Expert mode, but there comes a point when it becomes more annoyingly frustrating than challenging.

I believe Lava Slimes drop lava because they are literally lava, and so lava would be a renewable source, and if you needed it for any reason, you could get a theoretical infinite source of lava, but I agree with the suggestion for making the furniture and platforms immune to lava so support!

I believe Lava Slimes drop lava because they are literally lava, and so lava would be a renewable source, and if you needed it for any reason, you could get a theoretical infinite source of lava, but I agree with the suggestion for making the furniture and platforms immune to lava so support!
I know that, but it doesn't occur on Normal mode. It used to be a mechanic in the old versions of Terraria, but it was removed as it was exceedingly frustrating. Now that they've brought it back in Expert Mode, it just makes bridge building and other spelunking activities more of a slog than anything. I think the mechanic should be reworked so that it doesn't induce a migraine, but still makes the player be careful killing them.

Besides, if you need an infinite source of lava, you can repeatedly place and break a Hellstone Ore block.

The Hellstone ore lava grinding only works in the underworld, and given people are already there, I guess lava slimes are easier than standing in one place where bone serpents can attack you out of nowhere. Given it is an expert mode exclusive feature nowadays, I guess it could be justified as a way to make the game harder. But I see where you are coming from, and agree that it is a bother to deal with.

Admittedly, I'm extremely unfond of lava slimes dropping lava on death. It's less of a danger thing (post-WOF, anyway) and more of an OCD one - I don't like messes being made on my worlds, especially where it destroys furniture and makes bridges uninhabitable without periodic breaks. Ruined houses slowly become traps, and my summons end up as my worst enemies. Red Devils and their insane damage output feel like a good challenge in expert mode, where you have to dodge or you'll die - lava slimes are a tedium-based type of difficulty, more akin to spread mechanics. But I don't really expect them to change, so I'd settle for lessening the permanent damage they can cause. At least I can dry up lava with an endless water bucket.

As it is, it's one of those Who Would Win scenarios - the remnants of an ancient civilization at the planet's burning core, or one bouncy orange boi.

(That said, lava slimes are far more dangerous than bone serpents at any point in expert mode. And infinite lava isn't really going to be a player's concern in pre-hardmode… a lack of lava isn't going to be a concern in any normal playthrough, so I don't think the viability of lava slimes versus hellstone is really a question.)

Not all underworld furniture is safe either. I think some light sources pop out and then get burned up, but I'd have to test which ones.

I know the candelabras are safe. Haven't tested the candles, but I'll be able to check later today when I generate some new worlds. Possibly the torches break?

Edit: Demon torches break in lava. All of the obsidian furniture set light sources (chandelier, candelabra, candle, lamp, lantern) can exist while placed in lava, but they don't have dropped item immunity like I thought they did - if mined while submerged, they'll vanish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom