Game Mechanics Make Ore Swords fire a Sword Beam when close to full health

A weapon obtained in Pre/Post-Plantera should not be stronger than a Post Golem one. I'm also pretty sure that tripling Terra Blade's projectiles will do much more than just make "give it an edge" for Crowds, even with Iframes involved.
I think it should scatter the projectiles, with the two side ones being weaker. It already takes really long to get. Give a dog a bone.

Okay, you have restated what you initially said; care to actually explain? I personally don't see an issue and I'm curious as to where you do.
Echoing Bry's comments here, I have no problem with you disagreeing but I do have a problem with criticism that is just "it doesn't fit"

This also isn't even that big of a buff on the grand scale of things. Currently these swords are just "not that bad" against regular Fighter AIs and other linear enemies, the entire point of the suggestion is to make them just better at that role with a weak beam that is only active before you'll be able to get in.
A beam based on the player's health doesn't fit into Terraria. It doesn't make much sense to have a couple of ore swords shoot beams based on the player's health and never touch it again.

Perhaps it'd fit if other weapons had similar systems?

Also, it isn't about how much of a buff it is or isn't, it's the idea in general. And no, this isn't the same as regular sword projectiles. That's a constant part of a weapon. I like the idea but it doesn't make much sense to me when it's limited to only that.

A beam based on the player's health doesn't fit into Terraria.
hm yes
restatement
It doesn't make much sense to have a couple of ore swords shoot beams based on the player's health and never touch it again.
hm yes
slight explanation
Perhaps it'd fit if other weapons had similar systems?
Okay, there we go.
Making an idea uniform isn't necessary for it to work, bud; that usually makes ideas more boring.
Also, it isn't about how much of a buff it is or isn't, it's the idea in general.
Okay, then I see no problem.
And no, this isn't the same as regular sword projectiles. That's a constant part of a weapon. I like the idea but it doesn't make much sense to me when it's limited to only that.
The sword beams act as a direct reward for playing well and avoiding damage, which is a pretty unique idea as far as Terraria (and my memory) is concerned. This is the perfect way to make the Ore Swords actually stand out and be remotely useful in terms of damage output. Of course, maybe a bit of stat-change game is required as well, but Bame's idea seems fine to me.

If ore swords get a projectile, let's give the musket one too. (I'm not trying to make fun of the idea, I'm in full support of it)

If ore swords get a projectile, let's give the musket one too. (I'm not trying to make fun of the idea, I'm in full support of it)
did you just joke-propose to give a weapon that exclusively fires projectiles a projectile
i don't even know how to react to this; :confused: Confused reaction when

hm yes
restatement
Indeed.

Okay, there we go.
Making an idea uniform isn't necessary for it to work, bud; that usually makes ideas more boring.

It, in no way, makes ideas more boring. When you have a unique element to the game that's limited to a sword you still probably wouldn't make anyway, what's the point? Terraria is a non-linear game that doesn't focus on specific game mechanics, but instead consistency with weapons, or at least, that's the way I view it. You could see it completely differently in the end and that's fine. But the way I see it, making it more boring because of that just isn't the case.

Okay, then I see no problem.

Because there wasn't an actual problem with buffing it in the first place. The issue lies within the base idea, not how much stronger it makes the weapon.

The sword beams act as a direct reward for playing well and avoiding damage, which is a pretty unique idea as far as Terraria (and my memory) is concerned. This is the perfect way to make the Ore Swords actually stand out and be remotely useful in terms of damage output. Of course, maybe a bit of stat-change game is required as well, but Bame's idea seems fine to me.

The point of melee is to have higher defense and be over-all tankier because you need to get up close the deal a decent and consistent amount of damage, at least early on. "Ranged" melee comes mainly in hardmode, which is drastically different when compared to pre-hardmode. As I see it, at least for now, Ore Swords that shoot out a beam based on health doesn't fit.

If other weapons, or at least, other swords had this mechanic, I think it'd be fine edition to the game, but only when it doesn't feel like it stands out so much for such little reason.

The point of melee is to have higher defense and be over-all tankier because you need to get up close the deal a decent and consistent amount of damage, at least early on. "Ranged" melee comes mainly in hardmode, which is drastically different when compared to pre-hardmode. As I see it, at least for now, Ore Swords that shoot out a beam based on health doesn't fit.
While Melee is a class that is intended to get up close and personal, it doesn't really work since you put yourself in much more danger just to get DPS that is outclassed by much safer options. Nothing is stopping you from wearing melee armor while picking up a gun and taking out your foe from a safe distance. Giving these ore swords a beam would not only be a neat reference, but it will reward the player for keeping their damage down while maintaining an aggressive playstyle. As such, I'd find it appropriate if the beams would dissipate for a relatively medium-short distance with a slow attack speed, so that the players can take a breather and maintain pressure whenever they need to fall back or get away, but can't use the beam alone to deal significant damage to enemies. Especially considering the play style to get any results with melee weapons, this change is almost dire for ore swords.

• Love
Reactions: Bry
While Melee is a class that is intended to get up close and personal, it doesn't really work since you put yourself in much more danger just to get DPS that is outclassed by much safer options. Nothing is stopping you from wearing melee armor while picking up a gun and taking out your foe from a safe distance. Giving these ore swords a beam would not only be a neat reference, but it will reward the player for keeping their damage down while maintaining an aggressive playstyle. As such, I'd find it appropriate if the beams would dissipate for a relatively medium-short distance with a slow attack speed, so that the players can take a breather and maintain pressure whenever they need to fall back or get away, but can't use the beam alone to deal significant damage to enemies. Especially considering the play style to get any results with melee weapons, this change is almost dire for ore swords.
I'm all for an Ore Sword buff, I just don't feel this is the way to do it. And while I agree that Terraria's melee isn't the best and is easily out-classed, I feel we could at least spend the time trying to figure out a way to buff melee without making it just another ranged class. If we worked some other system, such as charging and releasing a beam and adding a similar mechanic to other swords, I feel that would work great, honestly. I think making a weapon rely on your health like that wouldn't work very well. That's just how I see it, though.

A weapon obtained in Pre/Post-Plantera should not be stronger than a Post Golem one. I'm also pretty sure that tripling Terra Blade's projectiles will do much more than just make "give it an edge" for Crowds, even with Iframes involved.

Let's be real here, the amount of time anyone will actually spend between Plantera and Golem is negligible at best. Golem's just a small road bump on the road of progression.

And considering the amount of effort needed to craft the Terra Blade, I don't think it should be outclassed by a sword you get by killing one single easy boss.

Let's be real here, the amount of time anyone will actually spend between Plantera and Golem is negligible at best. Golem's just a small road bump on the road of progression.

And considering the amount of effort needed to craft the Terra Blade, I don't think it should be outclassed by a sword you get by killing one single easy boss.
That necro, though.

This is how it worked in the original The Legend of Zelda. When you had full health you could fire a beam from your sword.

Necro or not, this is a good idea.

Im not particularly a fan of that idea, mainly because it just makes it more obvious that melee is reskinned version of ranged with more defense and less dps.
(at least that the case in hardmode right now, since you can only afford for your swordbeam to damage more dangerous enemies/bosses)

Giving non-ranged melee weapons a block like "Brand of the Inferno" has would be better, since it allows you to actually play like a melee character instead of trying to squeeze melee into the "run and gun" gamestyle, which fundamentally is opposed to the idea of melee.

Not I just think guns don't have enough sword projectiles. Wait. I now have an unironic idea. I will be back. Or not. Depends if I care enough
I am done with my work. I give you, the terra cannon! It's an abomination.
Sword_cannon.png

What I tend to notice is that swords are extremely limited in damage because of the top-down attack style. I believe that most hardmode true melee swords should be completely revamped, allowing them to attack similar to Zenith's style, except with a very limited range, or alternatively, in the Terragrim/Arkhalis's style. I really doubt that this will come into effect, though, because Terraria's melee swing is so iconic. And enchanted or hardmode swords could have a right click that throws the weapon in a boomerang like style.

What I tend to notice is that swords are extremely limited in damage because of the top-down attack style. I believe that most hardmode true melee swords should be completely revamped, allowing them to attack similar to Zenith's style, except with a very limited range, or alternatively, in the Terragrim/Arkhalis's style. I really doubt that this will come into effect, though, because Terraria's melee swing is so iconic. And enchanted or hardmode swords could have a right click that throws the weapon in a boomerang like style.
Alt attacks really do have a lot of untapped potential for boosting weapons effectiveness in Terraria it is a shame they are largely locked to a few of the OOA drops I could see such things coming into play late prehardmode to early hardmode in order to boost their effectiveness.

Frostbrand-Spawns additional icicles which always inflict frostburn. At full speed projectiles could hit enemies behind walls up to 5 blocks away

Titanium-Zenith like alt attack
Adamantite-Powerful alt attack swipe which partially ignores some percent of enemy defense and features boosted knockback however has a short cooldown
Orichalcum- Blade dash leaving an afterimage of petals that damage enemies. Features a short cool down
Mythril-Defensive block like Flamebrand or the Traveling Merchant shield Boomerang
Palladium-Perhaps a beam effected by gravity but able to pierce or bounce twice?
Cobalt-Terragrim like swipe? Would feature boosted crit

You might have several types some with cooldowns to prevent balance breaking abuse as well if needed That said it would probably be its own suggestion

Back
Top Bottom