Game Mechanics Make players rely a bit less on wings/mount

HammerHoovy🌳

Official Terrarian
Give players a choice to use wings/mount or something else instead. Wings/mount are basically seen as a necessity in Hardmode.

Make running faster somehow in Hardmode, maybe by making Terraspark benefit from movement speed bonuses (as of right now running boots don't benefit by movement speed bonuses). Give the Horseshoe Balloons a Hardmode upgrade.

Maybe make it so that running becomes less effective with wings equipped? This way it would look like this:

Running boots + Hardmode Horseshoe Balloon upgrade = Very good ground control + good air control.

Running boots + Wings = Not as good ground control, but still good + better air control than the Hardmode Horseshoe Balloon upgrade.

sounds good, I guess

Actually, balloons are still good in hardmode
if you dares to click twice it's basically instant acceleration

Last edited:
wings are necesary because it gives you accurate air control and mobility. faster running cant replace that, balloons dont have as much control. nerfing wings just makes hardmode harder

wings are necesary because it gives you accurate air control and mobility. faster running cant replace that, balloons dont have as much control. nerfing wings just makes hardmode harder
I disagree with that. Balloon's acceleration's crazy.

Last edited:
The suggested improvements i gave may not be the best, but the main point here after all is to make players rely less on wings somehow since everyone needs them, and making players rely on wings isn't the best for sandbox game design. Redigit has even said himself that he wants to give players choice. Any suggestions you guys can come up with would be greatly appreciated! :)

as of right now, I have a suggestion: make a hardmode accessory that grants you infinite jumps, by that I means you can jump in air infinitely, but it has a cooldown of around 2 seconds (I got the idea from minecraft hypixel's grappling hook)
that would fix the problem of double jumps running out and being useless since it isn't timed like rocket boot and wings, it's one use.

balloons do that even faster than wings
Also I got confused, I meant "balloon's acceleration's crazy"

I don't think that just creating new accessories would make the player rely less on mounts and wings.
To make the player rely less on those, would be necessary to change a number of monsters AI.

Sadly, many hardmode bosses rely a lot on air mobility, and most accessories in the game doesn't offers that, other than wings.

I can imagine that the Moon Lord, and that touhou hallow boss whose name I already forgot would be a trouble if you tried facing without Wings or Mounts.

Back
Top Bottom