Game Mechanics Make Rod of Discord usable in the Grappling Hook equipment slot

This may have been suggested in the past, but "rod" and "of" are too short for the search, so all I get are threads talking about Discord servers.

I've been playing this game since 1.2.x and I only just got the Rod of Discord for the first time. I've haven't used it at all for exploring or traveling, because at that stage in the game I have a plethora of options for getting around easily (namely movement accessories, mounts, recall potions, potions of return, magic/ice mirror and cell phone, magic/demon conches, pylons, and wired teleporters). As a result, I feel like the RoD would be best used for combat against a boss, as the wiki and most LPers suggest. However, I've found it irritating to use because one has to switch away from their weapon just to use it and then switch back, which just breaks the pace of the fight and causes one to slip up.

I think the RoD should be updated to where players can place it into the Grappling Hook equipment slot and use it with the associated hotkey. This would make its use feel more natural during intense battles with bosses like the EoL or Duke Fishron.

While I like the idea for the convenience factor, after a while of using the Rod Of Discord (R.O.D.) it becomes second nature to switch between tools.
I can see this being useful for players who find hot at management difficult in a fight.
Also this removes the usefulness of the effect of the ‘hook of dissonance’ making this item obsolete.

Hook of dissonance is already considered one of the best hooks in the game and its teleportation is highly limited. This would be way too powerful.
ROD has the Chaos State debuff for that reason, and also you are giving away an hook for ROD, so I'd say it isn't that unbalanced. ROD is a very rare drop from chaos elementals, while Hook of Dissonance is dropped with a 1/3 chance from Queen Slime, so unless you're really lucky, you will most likely have Hook of Dissonance before you get ROD.

ROD has the Chaos State debuff for that reason, and also you are giving away an hook for ROD, so I'd say it isn't that unbalanced. ROD is a very rare drop from chaos elementals, while Hook of Dissonance is dropped with a 1/3 chance from Queen Slime, so unless you're really lucky, you will most likely have Hook of Dissonance before you get ROD.
Part of how the RoD is balanced is how you have to be vulnerable while you switch to it, though.

Part of how the RoD is balanced is how you have to be vulnerable while you switch to it, though.
For players who can't switch very fast, yes, but for players who can swicht very fast, not really. BTW, how are you vulnerable while switching to RoD? You just stop attacking for a second, you don't slow down or anything like that.

This would be a very nice feature to have (particularly in invasion), but having to switch between the hook and rod every time you need them sounds like a hassle to.
A possible improvement could be having its own accessory slot but in return maybe having chaos state for 1-2 seconds longer.

After actually using the rod of discord for bosses to see what the big deal is about, I have deduced that you barely ever even use the rod of discord twice in 10 seconds and even when you do the damage taken from chaos state is barely anything, especially on expert mode. What is essentially a hook of dissonance except without the slight delay or the grappling limitation is just way too strong and would trivialize so many bosses that it's not even funny. Plantera in particular would no longer remotely be a threat.

After actually using the rod of discord for bosses to see what the big deal is about, I have deduced that you barely ever even use the rod of discord twice in 10 seconds and even when you do the damage taken from chaos state is barely anything, especially on expert mode. What is essentially a hook of dissonance except without the slight delay or the grappling limitation is just way too strong and would trivialize so many bosses that it's not even funny. Plantera in particular would no longer remotely be a threat.
I've always thought of the rod of discord as an overpowered item only those with patience or dream luck would get, I do believe it needs rebalancing (and if that were the case probably higher drop rates too) but I often finding myself constantly using when building and exploring as it's ability to go through walls is exclusive only to it.
I was thinking of it as a more practical tool but if bosses were the case than maybe a long cool down which prevents its use is needed. I dunno, it's getting late for me so maybe i'm not thinking straight.

Back
Top Bottom