Game Mechanics Make the Medusa's Debuff NOT kill you due to Fall Damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This infuriates me, and I'm sure it makes other people mad too when they're suddenly stopped in their tracks the second they encounter a marble biome and get frozen in mid-air, fall a very short distance and die.
Seriously, this means that the Medusa can ONE SHOT Lunar Tier Players.
Red, please, fix this.
Not asking you to delete the debuff altogether. Just nerf it.

Agreed it's very over the top. I think it's about ~300 HP damage for falling three blocks, plus ~100 HP damage per block thereafter. Unaided jumping height is a sufficient fall distance to kill a player with max HP. It's a very cheap death and I'd be very angry if I was higher than softcore and died to this. (I'm still annoyed when dying to it in softcore, but I don't care about coins too much.)

Anyway. Medusa mechanics were changed in 1.3.0.4 or 1.3.0.5 (can't remember which) to fix her Petrify ability and that seems to have negated most complaints. Now we've gotten that out of the way...

Yes, I think the fall damage needs to be reduced, if it hasn't already. (I'm behind on the updates.)

Agreed it's very over the top. I think it's about ~300 HP damage for falling three blocks, plus ~100 HP damage per block thereafter. Unaided jumping height is a sufficient fall distance to kill a player with max HP. It's a very cheap death and I'd be very angry if I was higher than softcore and died to this. (I'm still annoyed when dying to it in softcore, but I don't care about coins too much.)

Anyway. Medusa mechanics were changed in 1.3.0.4 or 1.3.0.5 (can't remember which) to fix her Petrify ability and that seems to have negated most complaints. Now we've gotten that out of the way...

Yes, I think the fall damage needs to be reduced, if it hasn't already. (I'm behind on the updates.)
I think it should be used to purely trap the player in a situation which they can't deal with and then see how they react when given the chance to move around again.
A Gameplay Option like this can completely :red: over people, especially when the Player is caught in mid-air.
I think the debuff's fall damage should either be severely reduced or deleted. Maybe have it in expert mode, but Normal Mode, players should never encounter a mob that can one-shot you, unless it's the dungeon guardian.

I think the debuff's fall damage should either be severely reduced or deleted.
I think I previously said to reduce it to 10% of its current level or to have it as though the player had no fall-damage negation (damage calculated as if they had no wings, horseshoes, etc.). In hindsight though, both of those would reduce it to negligible levels, so probably not desirable.

Still remember the first time this happened. Riding along in a minecart, when suddenly I fall and take 870 points of damage. I fell no more than 10 blocks. At first, I thought it was something to do with the minecart - maybe I'd hit a wall or travelled too fast and crashed? I avoided mine tracks for a few days after that because of the insane damage, not realising at the time what the true source was...

You have to fall 16 blocks to take fall damage from being stoned. And with 31 defence I'm taking 213 damage and another ~16 damage per block, so your numbers are waaaaaaay off.

You have to fall 16 blocks to take fall damage from being stoned. And with 31 defence I'm taking 213 damage and another ~16 damage per block, so your numbers are waaaaaaay off.
It's definitely not 16 blocks, unless it's changed. I'm still on an older versions (1.3.0.1), so it may well have.

It definitely is. They didn't mention changing anything in the patch notes so nothing should have changed. And if you're using an outdated version why are you suggesting changes to the current patch?
If you read things before trying to attack me, you would have seen the following information above...

I'm not attacking you, I'm asking a legit question, what business do you have suggesting changes a patch you have zero experience with?

Also I forgot to mention I have worm scarf which reduces damage by 17% this seems to greatly effect the fall damage.

I'm asking a legit question, what business do you have suggesting changes a patch you have zero experience with?
I will repeat it again:

I will repeat it again:
And I will repeat this again, what business do you have suggesting changes a patch you have zero experience with?

You are asking for a nerf on an enemy who had a huge nerf to their light of sight, it's laughable how hard it was to set up a test area for testing fall damage, because it seemed even with no obstructions Medusa still couldn't petrify me. You have no business asking for a nerf on something in which you don't know how difficult it is to actually get hit by.
EPhEs4z.png

(Example. See any obstructions? No me neither, but for some reason I am not getting hit by her attack)

Edit so further testing shows with 27 armor and no worm scarf you take 259 fall damage at 16 blocks and 20 more damage per block. That's still way less than 100 per block not sure where you got that number from.

And I will repeat this again, what business do you have suggesting changes a patch you have zero experience with?
OK, I will rephrase. Let's say something was introduced in 1.3. Let's say it hasn't changed since. Then my concern is still valid regardless of what version I am playing.
Then let's say it has changed. Then someone says "it was already nerfed in patch X" and I reply "OK then, no worries".
Make sense?

Nowhere did I suggest changes. I simply agreed that it should be changed if it wasn't already.

By your logic of "patch with zero experience", you may as well exclude anyone with intermittent Internet access and any console / mobile players from making suggestions or commenting as well. I don't know what Steam is like with updates, but GOG tends to lag a day or so between announcement and availability. But why stop there? Let's make it so you need 30 hours of experience as well before you're allowed to comment. That's just wrong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and a suggestion, no matter what version they're playing. Steampunk Arachnid made the suggestion of reducing it. I am agreeing that it should be reduced if hasn't done so already. Nothing more, nothing less. So that's my business.

Okay let me try to get you to understand. You are asking for a nerf to an enemy that already got a nerf. I'm assuming based on your previous posts you want a nerf because you got hit by her attack and died from it. So Re-Logic nerfs her line of sight so that you won't even get hit in situations like this:
O7rQHdS.gif

So essentially if you are getting hit by it you probably deserved to be hit by it, and if you are falling more than 16 blocks in addition to that you probably deserve to take a large amount of damage.

I'm just going to ignore the rest of your straw man argument.

Okay let me try to get you to understand. You are asking for a nerf to an enemy that already got a nerf. I'm assuming based on your previous posts you want a nerf because you got hit by her attack and died from it. So Re-Logic nerfs her line of sight so that you won't even get hit in situations like this:
So essentially if you are getting hit by it you probably deserved to be hit by it, and if you are falling more than 16 blocks in addition to that you probably deserve to take a large amount of damage.
What don't you understand? Sigma said he wanted a change IF it hasn't been changed. He is running an old version of 1.3 which is why he said that. If he were running 1.3.0.5 and was still complaining then you would have a point but you don't. I don't get why you don't understand this situation. He wants a fix for an enemy and if they already fixed it just disregard his comment!

He isn't demanding that in 1.3.0.6 Medusa has her fall damage nerfed. Try to understand this. Also in the first version of 1.3 Medusa can kill you before you notice she is there. Completely understandable.

Everyone here needs to chill out a bit, some of you are attacking each other instead of calmly discussing the issue with civility and respect toward one another.

If you can't agree on something, at least agree to disagree and move on. Shouting down others does not make you right.

Everyone here needs to chill out a bit, some of you are attacking each other instead of calmly discussing the issue with civility and respect toward one another.

If you can't agree on something, at least agree to disagree and move on. Shouting down others does not make you right.

Jee, Billy, how come your mom lets you have TWO Administrator Titles?

Jee, Billy, how come your mom lets you have TWO Administrator Titles?
It's a quirk in the forum software, it doesn't mean anything special.

----

I can assure everyone that the developers DO see your feedback on this issue. They may or may not choose to make changes to it, but they do hear what everyone is saying and give it serious consideration.

Due to widespread diffusion and reiteration of the same arguments by the same posters in multiple threads, this thread is going to be closed. Please use this thread for further discussion of Medusa related balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom