Game Mechanics Make trashing items more noticeable

crumblingstatue

Terrarian
Quick trashing cannot be disabled anymore. (There is a thread about it, but I don't know if that feature will be readded or not)

This can be a problem for a lot of players who don't always play paying full attention. It's quite possible to accidentally hold down ctrl instead of shift when wanting to move items to/from containers. If you have shift set as the trash key option, it's possible to forget to have the other container open, and delete instead of moving. Since Terraria involves a lot of inventory management, and people can zone out sometimes and not pay full attention, accidental trashes are something that can occur often enough that I think it warrants making trashing more noticeable. I had my fair share of accidental trashes, and it's always very disheartening and immersion breaking to have items that I worked hard for just disappear unrecoverably (when you trash more than one item accidentally in a row, only the last trashed one is recoverable).

I think the simplest way to make it more noticeable is to have a distinct sound effect for trashing. Right now, trashing has the same sound effect as just moving an item, which reinforces the player's belief that everything is going fine.

But it might be worth to have a visual indicator too, like the trash slot being highlighted in a noticeable way. Maybe have that as an option for players that don't trash items often, but want to avoid accidental trashes.

All of the above being said, I'm still fine with just reintroducing the option to disable quick trashing completely, as I don't use that feature personally. (only ever unintentionally, and detrimentally to my Terraria experience)

Quick trashing cannot be disabled anymore. (There is a thread about it, but I don't know if that feature will be readded or not)

This can be a problem for a lot of players who don't always play paying full attention. It's quite possible to accidentally hold down ctrl instead of shift when wanting to move items to/from containers. If you have shift set as the trash key option, it's possible to forget to have the other container open, and delete instead of moving. Since Terraria involves a lot of inventory management, and people can zone out sometimes and not pay full attention, accidental trashes are something that can occur often enough that I think it warrants making trashing more noticeable. I had my fair share of accidental trashes, and it's always very disheartening and immersion breaking to have items that I worked hard for just disappear unrecoverably (when you trash more than one item accidentally in a row, only the last trashed one is recoverable).

I think the simplest way to make it more noticeable is to have a distinct sound effect for trashing. Right now, trashing has the same sound effect as just moving an item, which reinforces the player's belief that everything is going fine.

But it might be worth to have a visual indicator too, like the trash slot being highlighted in a noticeable way. Maybe have that as an option for players that don't trash items often, but want to avoid accidental trashes.

All of the above being said, I'm still fine with just reintroducing the option to disable quick trashing completely, as I don't use that feature personally. (only ever unintentionally, and detrimentally to my Terraria experience)
Good ideas, apparently the favorite item system doesn’t solve in every situation after all.

Yes, please. Anything that would help with this issue would be extremely appreciated.

I have deleted so many items without paying attention that it is honestly killing my will to play Terraria.

I feel ya . . . when 1.4 dropped I was coming back from minecraft and went to put my armor and accessories in storage. I ended up accidentally trashing my Beetle Armor and several melee-focused accessories. It took me a ridiculous amount of grinding to get back to where I was, especially since I had a habit of selling old equipment I didn't need any more. It was like starting Hardmode from the beginning.

Same.I accidently deleted some of my informational accesories and my solar eruption.Even though the game is nit being updated anymore,This should have been toppriority for features

I've accidentally deleted objects too many times, and I've seen lots of others do it, also since 1.4 has a different hotkey and I constantly switch between tmodloader and that I am always mixing up the hot keys, so I support this.

Last edited:
Yes! I haven't even really made it to hardmode, and we're already spending a lot of time on inventory management - and have lost a lot of stuff.

Any chance someone could mod this out?

Back
Top Bottom