PC Make Your Mouse Cursor More Visible

rubeszilla

Terrarian
Sorry if this has been posted before but I just found this from Reddit by Handhunter:

There is a setting in the config.json at "My Documents/My Games/Terraria" called "ThickMouseEdges" (near the bottom), put it to true and you have a pretty thick border (white default) on the cursor.
This works an absolute treat! It doubles the size of your cursor and you can change the inner colour to black for high contrast. If you want to change it from white to another colour go to this page http://www.binaryconvert.com/result_unsigned_int.html and write the colour you want in the field in the binary box with RGBA hex formatting (0xAABBGGRR), press the "Convert to Decimal" button and use the decimal number in your config.

No more losing your cursor in all that colour!

And if you want it even larger, download Endoriod99's mod here.

Sorry if this has been posted before but I just found this from Reddit by Handhunter:

There is a setting in the config.json at "My Documents/My Games/Terraria" called "ThickMouseEdges" (near the bottom), put it to true and you have a pretty thick border (white default) on the cursor.
This works an absolute treat! It doubles the size of your cursor and you can change the inner colour to black for high contrast. If you want to change it from white to another colour go to this page http://www.binaryconvert.com/result_unsigned_int.html and write the colour you want in the field in the binary box with RGBA hex formatting (0xAABBGGRR), press the "Convert to Decimal" button and use the decimal number in your config.

This was a newly added config setting in 1.3.0.3. Works like a damn charm. I am finding it so much easier to aim and manage targets since I can actually see the cursor.

Glad the option's been added. I'll have to try this because I've had an awful time losing track of the cursor during boss fights. Died a few times because of it.

A note for those not familiar with RGBA: No matter what values you use for red, green, and blue, keep the alpha channel at FF or your cursor's border will be partly to completely transparent, which defeats the purpose of making the cursor more visible. 00=entirely transparent, 77=half transparent, and so forth.

I seriously hate it when I can't find my cursor I'm like "Ahh Where's My Mouse?!?! I'm Gonna Die By Plantera AHH!!! :redmunch:" Yeaaaa

Thank you, for making this guide possible when I was playing Terraria back in 1.2.4.1 I kept losing my mouse I was like ahhhh WHERES MY CURSOR. xD Thanks

This was a newly added config setting in 1.3.0.3. Works like a damn charm. I am finding it so much easier to aim and manage targets since I can actually see the cursor.
Sorry, I looked in the settings and I can't find it. Could you tell me how to make it more visible then?

Glad the option's been added. I'll have to try this because I've had an awful time losing track of the cursor during boss fights. Died a few times because of it.

A note for those not familiar with RGBA: No matter what values you use for red, green, and blue, keep the alpha channel at FF or your cursor's border will be partly to completely transparent, which defeats the purpose of making the cursor more visible. 00=entirely transparent, 77=half transparent, and so forth.
I wan't too sure of what the alpha was (Im used to just RGB) until I read this. I kept putting it as 00 because I knew 00 for the RGB was no color. Thank you for being the one comment that I needed.

Pleased to be of help!

By the way, I went ahead and started on a Windows application that lets you pick colors and displays them in various formats, including the packed decimal needed for mouse border color in config.json. So far it doesn't save the results to your settings, so it's still copy-and-paste.

If anyone is interested, see my thread "Curses! Styled Again" in the General Mod Discussion forum. I've posted a screenshot, a download link, and a note on proper download safety precautions (i.e., always use your malware scanner on downloads).

This removes the most tedious part of the job, converting your color into a packed decimal number. Until I finish the program you'll still need to copy that number and paste it into your config.json file manually.

Last edited:
Oh. My. God.

This is going to be a lifesaver. I sometimes had to stop in the middle of a busy event to look for my cursor. My teammate actually started blaming me for missing the target, but "I just can't see where I'm aiming!". :D

I'll try both, increasing the size and the color of the cursor.

Thank you for this post! Like the others that randomly lose their cursor, there's little that is more frustrating!

I don't suppose in that configuration file there is any way to change the font is there? I have posted in here about changing the font, but so far, no help :'(

Yeah, i lose my cursor when in boss fights, this is useful.
Can't be asked to do all of this, it'll take for EVER!

Nice thread :cool:

Righty, I've finished a working version of my Terraria mouse pointer customization program. You can download if from my Google Drive using a link in this post:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?posts/629662/

Please note the precautions. I posted them not because I think this is a dangerous program but because you can't be too safe when dealing with downloaded programs someone else wrote.

Hope this will help avoid the hassle. I look forward to a future version of Terraria that makes this little utility obsolete, but for now it's the easiest way to make your mouse pointer look the way you want it to.

I died back in 2013 when I first got the game because of this...:) I just make the cursor Teal usually works but then ice biomes...

Should post some good free json editors for us, as windows doesnt generally carry anything that supports it (i dont think). One I found on CNET. http://download.cnet.com/Free-JSON-Editor/3001-2213_4-76170769.html?hlndr=1 if I'm not supposed to post links without permission or anything I'm sorry, and wasn't doing it to ba bad :)

No special tools required, JSON is just text. Windows Notepad works fine.

My little Curses! program (mentioned above) handles color selection, format conversion, and backups. But any plain-text editor — meaning "not a word processor" — will let you edit JSON files.

Back
Top Bottom