Weapons & Equip Making boomerangs more unique and viable

Boomerangs in Terraria are fun to use, but can get pretty boring eventually for a few reason. Most of them are basically exactly the same, and the only unique ones only have homing or slightly different movement to differentiate them from other boomerangs. We have 5 (6 if you include Fruitcake Chakram) pre-boss boomerangs that function exactly the same with only stat differences, only two pre-mech boomerangs (both of which are extremely rare), one pre-Plantera boomerang that sucks and is probably the worst mech boss item, and a Golem drop as the last boomerang in the game, which doesn't sound too bad, but then you realize that it's horrible for the pillars and Moon Lord. Also, something called boomerang stacking does exist, but it's pretty much just throwing out more boomerangs at once for more damage.

This suggestion aims to add special effects to a variety of boomerangs to make them a lot more unique as well as buffing some boomerangs that are subpar. Green text means a buff, orange text means a change that doesn't directly affect the power of the weapon, such as a recipe change or a retier, and red text means a nerf. Let's begin.

Wooden-Boomerang.png
Wooden Boomerang
Changes:
  • Velocity increased to 8
  • Knockback increased to 6
This boomerang doesn't need any special effects in my opinion, it's a very early game weapon that you'll use for only the first in-game day and it's not like those need to be special and unique. I've increased the velocity and knockback though, so that it becomes a better option for keeping away enemies.

Enchanted-Boomerang.png
Enchanted Boomerang
Changes:
  • Enemies hit by the boomerang will release multicoloured sparks every half second for 10 seconds. The sparks create light and deal no damage
  • Now requires 8 Gold or Platinum Bars as well as a Wooden Boomerang and a Fallen Star
This effect was designed specifically with the underground in mind. This boomerang will allow you to not only illuminate the enemies you're actively attacking, but also know precisely where every enemy you are attacking go. The recipe change was to give Wooden Boomerang more longevity.

Shroomerang.png
Shroomerang
Changes:
  • Inflicts a new debuff called "Spore Infection" which lasts 5 seconds. Every time an inflicted enemy is hit, it releases spores that track down and damage other enemies nearby and deal 20% of the hit's damage
  • Drop chance increased from 1% to 5%
  • Can now drop from Spore Skeletons as well as Spore Bats
This effect is intended to encourage weapon switching. You would attack with Shroomerang to apply Spore Infection, then attack with a stronger weapon to make the spores deal more damage. The spores would be similar to Dark Harvest's tag, in that they'd be released from an enemy, deal no damage to the enemy, and attack enemies around it. I also made it significantly more common so that it's a realistic option.

Ice-Boomerang.png
Ice Boomerang
Changes:
  • Upon striking a block or enemy, the boomerang shatters into several ice shards which behave like Crystal Serpent's secondary projectiles
  • Damage reduced from 16 to 14
This change should allow boomerang users to hit around corners. Like Crystal Bullets, this could become exceptionally powerful for bosses, so it'll probably need more of a stat nerf than I wrote here.

Bloody-Machete.png
Bloody Machete
Changes:
  • Now sprays harmless blood in all directions upon hitting an enemy
  • Drop chance increased from 0.05% to 0.1%
  • Can now drop from any enemy during Halloween instead of only from "weak" enemies
This weapon doesn't need to be much more unique in my opinion because it already has unique movement after traveling a certain distance, it just needs to be much more common and spray blood everywhere because yes.

Thorn-Chakram.png
Thorn Chakram
Changes:

• Now inflicts a DoT (damage over time) debuff that deals 3 DPS and stacks up to three times, similar to Daybreak's. When an enemy is inflicted with this DoT debuff, thorns appear to be sticking out of it.
  • Damage reduced from 25 to 24
While it isn't exactly a boring boomerang since it ricochets off blocks, I thought it could utilize the first part of its name more. The damage nerf was to both account for the DoT and nerf the boomerang a bit since it's pretty strong right now.

Flamarang.png
Flamarang
Changes:

• While in the air, the boomerang will drop a flame downwards every 0.5 seconds. The flames will act like Cursed Dart flames and will linger in place for 3 seconds after hitting a solid block.
  • Now stays in place for a bit after hitting an enemy, similar to Combat Wrench
This effect will come in handy for OOA, as you could fire the boomerang over the heads of the enemies every so often, and for WoF, as the flames could hit multiple parts of the boss and it might run into the flames if you have a hellbridge.

Bananarang.png
Bananarang
Changes:

• Now gives the user a version of the Plenty Satisfied buff for 5 seconds after being used. This version does the same thing as Plenty Satisfied but is a separate buff
  • Drop chance increased from 3.33% to 50%
A thematically fitting effect that makes up for the fact that it can't get modifiers, and a significant rarity change that it desperately needed. The Plenty Satisfied buff will be renewed every time the boomerang is thrown, so it will be a permanent buff as long as you are attacking, and could potentially be used alongside another weapon for better DPS. If it gave regular Plenty Satisfied it would override Well Fed and Exquisitely Stuffed, which would be bad, so I made it give a separate buff that isn't mutually exclusive with other food buffs.

Light-Disc.png
Light Disc
Changes:

• Velocity increased to 35
  • Can now smart bounce towards enemies
  • Damage increased from 57 to 60
  • Can now only stack to 3
It is quite ironic how these are called "Light Discs" yet their velocity is comparable to that of many pre-Hardmode boomerangs. I've significantly increased the velocity and buffed the damage, but lowered the maximum stack size to compensate, though I'm not sure whether that compensates enough.

Possessed-Hatchet.png
Possessed Hatchet
Changes:
  • Inflicts a new debuff called "Possessed" on enemies the boomerang hits, which releases a yellow projectile called a Sun Spirit whenever that enemy is hit. Sun Spirits deal 33% of the hit's damage and behave like Spectre Mask projectiles
Basically a Shroomerang upgrade, but can also damage the original enemy. Like with Shroomerang, this effect will encourage swapping weapons in order to deal more damage, however the debuff will go away once the Sun Spirit is released, meaning you have to switch to Possessed Hatchet for every Sun Spirit.

That's it for now! If you have any ideas for Fruitcake Chakram, I would really appreciate if you shared them.

Last edited:
Boomerangs are severely underrated IMHO. I actually learned to appreciate them in the last Hardcore Legacy run I did a while back in 1.3.5. I got the idea about using "weapon swap" only after getting the Hero Outfit, because in the Smash Bros. series, Link can toss out a boomerang, and also act immediately afterward. Example:

I'm not very good at weapon-swapping, but I think y'all get the general idea...

Enchanted-Boomerang.png
Enchanted Boomerang
Changes:
  • Enemies hit by the boomerang will release multicoloured sparks every half second for 10 seconds. The sparks create light and deal no damage
This effect was designed specifically with the underground in mind. This boomerang will allow you to not only illuminate the enemies you're actively attacking, but also know precisely where every enemy you are attacking go.
There isn't really a situation where you are going to start attacking an enemy, get interrupted by whatever before killing it, and then completely lose sight of it in less than 10 seconds such that this effect is useful. Especially not this early in the game where you are not really trying to kill enemies so much as avoid them entirely.
Wooden-Boomerang.png
Wooden Boomerang
Changes:
  • Velocity increased to 8
  • Knockback increased to 6
This boomerang doesn't need any special effects in my opinion, it's a very early game weapon that you'll use for only the first in-game day and it's not like those need to be special and unique. I've increased the velocity and knockback though, so that it becomes a better option for keeping away enemies.
Is there really a point in buffing it if it's still going to be immediately upgraded to the enchanted version anyways?
Shroomerang.png
Shroomerang
Changes:
  • Inflicts a new debuff called "Spore Infection", which, every time the inflicted enemy is hit, releases spores that track down and damage other enemies nearby. The spores do 33% of the weapon's base damage
  • Drop chance increased from 1% to 5%
  • Can now drop from Spore Skeletons as well as Spore Bats
This effect is intended to encourage weapon switching. You would attack with Shroomerang to apply Spore Infection, then attack with a stronger weapon to make the spores deal more damage. The spores would be similar to Dark Harvest's tag, in that they'd be released from an enemy, deal no damage to the enemy, and attack enemies around it. I also made it significantly more common so that it's a realistic option.
The question is: Is the Spore Infection damage based off the Shroomerang's, or the weapon that hits? Because one makes it a situational PreHardmode sidearm and the other turns it into one of the best weapons in the whole game.
Ice-Boomerang.png
Ice Boomerang
Changes:
  • Upon striking a block or enemy, the boomerang shatters into several ice shards which behave like Crystal Serpent's secondary projectiles
  • Damage reduced from 16 to 14
This change should allow boomerang users to hit around corners. Like Crystal Bullets, this could become exceptionally powerful for bosses, so it'll probably need more of a stat nerf than I wrote here.
Forget hitting corners, this is a big DPS buff. It needs a big DPS buff, so there isn't much wrong with this change.
Thorn-Chakram.png
Thorn Chakram
Changes:

• Now inflicts a DoT (damage over time) debuff that deals 3 DPS and stacks up to three times, similar to Daybreak's. When an enemy is inflicted with this DoT debuff, thorns appear to be sticking out of it.
  • Damage reduced from 25 to 24
While it isn't exactly a boring boomerang since it ricochets off blocks, I thought it could utilize the first part of its name more. The damage nerf was to both account for the DoT and nerf the boomerang a bit since it's pretty strong right now.
This is honestly a completely unnecessary change.
Flamarang.png
Flamarang
Changes:

• While in the air, the boomerang will drop a flame downwards every 0.5 seconds. The flames will act like Cursed Dart flames and will linger in place for 2 seconds after hitting a solid block.
This is meant to make it good against the wall but what will most likely happen is that the hungries will constantly block it and thus you'll just have to pray that the bottom eye positions itself right on top of your bridge to deal any damage at all.

Being one of the few long range melees in preHardmode what this weapon probably needs is either higher damage and/or return speed, doesn't need to be good against the Wall especially if we want to treat Hellstone gear as post evil boss.
Bananarang.png
Bananarang
Changes:

• Now gives the user the Well Fed buff for 3 seconds after being used
  • Drop chance increased from 3.33% to 50%
A thematically fitting effect that makes up for the fact that it can't get modifiers, and a significant rarity change that it desperately needed. The Well Fed buff will be renewed every time the boomerang is thrown, so it will be a permanent buff as long as you are attacking, and could potentially be used alongside another weapon for better DPS.
But you are not eating the bananas...
Light-Disc.png
Light Disc
Changes:

• Velocity increased to 35
  • Can now smart bounce towards enemies
  • Damage increased from 57 to 60
  • Can now only stack to 3
It is quite ironic how these are called "Light Discs" yet their velocity is comparable to that of many pre-Hardmode boomerangs. I've significantly increased the velocity and buffed the damage, but lowered the maximum stack size to compensate, though I'm not sure whether that compensates enough.
Sure. Honestly just remove the stacking entirely and make it a multithrow weapon.
Possessed-Hatchet.png
Possessed Hatchet
Changes:
  • Inflicts a new debuff called "Possessed" on enemies the boomerang hits, which releases yellow projectiles called Sun Spirits whenever that enemy is hit. Sun Spirits deal 50% of the hit's damage and behave like Spectre Mask projectiles
Basically a Shroomerang upgrade, but can also damage the original enemy. Like with Shroomerang, this effect will encourage swapping weapons in order to deal more damage.
This new debuff is a universal 50% damage increase. In a weapon that's already good. This is not ok.

There isn't really a situation where you are going to start attacking an enemy, get interrupted by whatever before killing it, and then completely lose sight of it in less than 10 seconds such that this effect is useful. Especially not this early in the game where you are not really trying to kill enemies so much as avoid them entirely.
Yeah I see your point, this wasn't really a boomerang I wanted to change much anyway.
Is there really a point in buffing it if it's still going to be immediately upgraded to the enchanted version anyways?
I should probably change Enchanted Boomerang's obtainment method because this is an issue.
The question is: Is the Spore Infection damage based off the Shroomerang's, or the weapon that hits? Because one makes it a situational PreHardmode sidearm and the other turns it into one of the best weapons in the whole game.
It's based off the damage of the weapon that hits. I forgot to mention that Spore Infection wouldn't last that long.
This is honestly a completely unnecessary change.
Like with Enchanted Boomerang, this wasn't one of my priorities for changing so yeah it's not important.
This is meant to make it good against the wall but what will most likely happen is that the hungries will constantly block it and thus you'll just have to pray that the bottom eye positions itself right on top of your bridge to deal any damage at all.

Being one of the few long range melees in preHardmode what this weapon probably needs is either higher damage and/or return speed, doesn't need to be good against the Wall especially if we want to treat Hellstone gear as post evil boss.
I could perhaps make this function like Combat Wrench where it doesn't come back immediately after hitting an enemy (it would have way less velocity so I'd assume it would stay in place longer), that way if it hits The Hungry it won't be completely screwed. Also the flame effect was more designed with OOA in mind than WoF.
But you are not eating the bananas...
When the bananas come back, they do reach the mouth zone so maybe?
Sure. Honestly just remove the stacking entirely and make it a multithrow weapon.
I don't have any problems with the stacking at all so I see no need for that.
This new debuff is a universal 50% damage increase. In a weapon that's already good. This is not ok.
I wanted to make it a stronger effect than Shroomerang's but I guess I didn't really think about how OP this would be in the grand scheme of things.

Back
Top Bottom