Weapons & Equip Making boring weapons more unique

Quick update to add in some items: three of the prehardmode boomerangs, three of the whips, and Tsunami (although Tsunami's is purely visual). I also nerfed the Fiery Greatsword and changed the effect I gave Magic Dagger.

I'll try out and add in some more of your suggestions like the Chik, Mushroom Spear, Nettle Burst and Frost Hydra soon. I’ll also rework my ideas for Pygmies and Breaker Blade at some point.

I've come up with an idea for the Unholy Trident. It's simple, but I think if, instead of piercing, it could stick in enemies like Daybreak, it would help set it apart from other weapons of its tier. As it is, there isn't much of a reason to use it over weapons like the Magical Harp, so the piercing effect isn't particularly important to it.

I've come up with an idea for the Unholy Trident. It's simple, but I think if, instead of piercing, it could stick in enemies like Daybreak, it would help set it apart from other weapons of its tier. As it is, there isn't much of a reason to use it over weapons like the Magical Harp, so the piercing effect isn't particularly important to it.

Its pierce is actually quite helpful for the weapon against things like Plantera or small crowds during an early Eclipse, more so because magical harp has almost nonexistant knockback. I wouldn’t want to remove its pierce.

Maybe we could compromise and have it leave kind of an “after image” of itself in enemies as it pierces them, getting weaker as it pierces more enemies but inheriting the Bone Javelin/Daybreak ability as well.

I think you should really look at some ammo, many ammo options are almost never used, or have boring effects. I think making ammo option more interesting would have a bigger impact than just changing a few weapons.

For example, cursed bullets, cursed arrows and venom bullets only inflict their respective debuff which usually doesn't do much.

Flaming arrows are just worse than frostburn arrows, and frostburn arrows are just as cheap.

bone arrows tried to be a 'budget unholy/jester's arrow' but they don't seem to do that well

Jester's and unholy arrows basiclly do the same thing, the only real difference being the way they are obtained.

Silver/tungesten bullets are just a damage boost for pre hardmode guns.

Rockets basically have 3 tiers of ammo, rocket IIIs are objectively better than rocket Is, and mini nukes are objectively better than those. The only advantage the lower tiers have is thier lower cost, which really doesn't matter post plant. Also cluster rockets only work on like, 4 of the launchers in the game, and two of those are totally outclassed by the time you beat the martians.

One idea I had was to make cursed bullets stick to tiles, they could sort of act like mines then. Still unsure what to do about the others.

Rockets basically have 3 tiers of ammo, rocket IIIs are objectively better than rocket Is, and mini nukes are objectively better than those. The only advantage the lower tiers have is thier lower cost, which really doesn't matter post plant. Also cluster rockets only work on like, 4 of the launchers in the game, and two of those are totally outclassed by the time you beat the martians.

I could make the explosion radius decrease as you go up in tiers, so that the higher tier rockets are still better but you’d occasionally have a reason to use the lower tier ammo.

Flaming arrows are just worse than frostburn arrows, and frostburn arrows are just as cheap.

Could probably do something like give Frostburn a lower velocity or make the debuff less inconsistent. I’d definitely choose to nerf Frostburn over buff Flaming, tbh.

Don’t know what I’d do with things like silver bullets and the debuff arrows, but I’ll come up with something.

my idea for the blood butcherer:
it should affect the bleeding defect.After all it is the blood butcherer." Enemies can never regenerate health in any way, so Bleeding inflicted by this weapon will damage enemies, instead of preventing natural health regeneration. " qoutingf the wikipedia,the qoute itself is not about weapons it self.it should also genreate more red/blood particles.

I could make the explosion radius decrease as you go up in tiers, so that the higher tier rockets are still better but you’d occasionally have a reason to use the lower tier ammo.
It would feel weird if 'mini nukes' had a smaller blast radius than rocket Is. Honestly rockets may need a compltete rework, rename rocket I to basic rocket, and then give every other rocket special effects.

It would feel weird if 'mini nukes' had a smaller blast radius than rocket Is. Honestly rockets may need a compltete rework, rename rocket I to basic rocket, and then give every other rocket special effects.

I think it’d be fine if Mini Nukes had the strongest of both stats, because you need shroomite. With those excepted, I think it’d be fine to make Rocket III have a smaller explosion.

Here are some ideas I had:
  • The Aqua Scepter should be reworked into a single target weapon, like the Heat Ray, because of the Water Bolt which completely overshadows it as a crowd control weapon (give credit to @qwerty3.14 for this idea.)
  • The Leaf Blower could be changed so that instead of shooting leaves in one direction, it sprays leaves in an area in front of it at a very fast rate, so that it deals very high DPS at close range. The leaves could also stay on the ground for a few seconds, dealing continuous damage to enemies that walk over them.
  • The Laser Rifle could be affected by Meteor Armour’s set bonus, allowing you to get a direct upgrade that you can use easily immediately after killing the Wall (if you use the Space Gun to kill it).
  • The Frost Hydra could inflict Frostbite (the version of Frostburn that Frost Armour makes you inflict), and it could have multiple heads, like Hydras from mythology, that independently fire at enemies.
  • In my opinion the Raven Staff is pretty unique, but it is basic and does suffer from range problems. The only minions that are similar to it are the Finch Staff and the Optic Staff, which arguably attack in a different way. The Ravens should be able to damage enemies when trying to keep up to you, and they should be able to re-target enemies when within a larger range of you.

Last edited:
i really approve these ideas, terraria adds a lot of weapons which we just won't use because they're either underpowered or uninteresting comparing to other weapons available in the same stage
also there are my ideas for the weapons you need ideas for:

Melee:
-Light's bane and Blood butcherer: i think they shouldn't have any projectile, as very early game swords and the earliest components of the night's edge, maybe just having a chance to inflict a new effect once hitting enemies like light's bane inflicting a corruption related debuff and blood butcherer healing the user
-Katana and Muramasa could give a mobility buff to the user while being wield similar to my concept of katana weapons for a stealth class, and maybe be able to reflect projectiles when swung
-Night's edge could fire an image of itself similar to it's true variant, but with a much reduced distance, acting similar to a schyte projectile but it can't penetrate enemies
-Phaseblades could have a chance to reflect projectiles when swung aswell, it's hardmode version having a higher chance
View attachment 307712Excalibur
-Sword now swings in direction of cursor
-Every swing now shoots a small star which travels 12 tiles before disappearing and pierces one target
It would allow the weapon to deal significant damage at short range, but still kept somewhat mediocre against bosses.
-i already have a better idea for excalibur, it would send a flying slash, it travells a short distance until dissapearing and doesn't deal much of the own sword's damage but it penetrates a lot of enemies and inflicts great knockback, and the flying slash has a much bigger size than most ranged sword projectiles, the same weapon type would be ported to it's true version, but with a much greater range and travel speed, making it an option as viable as night's edge, while true night's edge would be better for bosses and dps, true excalibur would be better for crowd control

Ranged:
-Hallowed repeater could be able to fire a light arrow that goes straight whitout being affected by gravity
-Demon and tendon bows could be able to convert wooden arrows into different arrow types: demon converts then into unholy arrows and tendon into blood coated arrows that heals the user
-SMDG might have to get an effect from it's original game if it has any but if it doesn't have any so it could instead make beams from off screen that hit the same target once it gets hit by any of it's bullets or something

Magic:
-Unholy trident could be used as spear, launching the projectile for each stab, once out of mana the player will still be able to stab with it but not fire projectiles
-Leaf blower could also push enemies away while being used
-Lazer rifle projectiles could be able to bounce off tiles
-magic daggers could ignore some enemy armor

Summoner:
-Imps could stab enemies in water with little tridents
-Frost hydra could gain more heads instead of spawning extra sentries of it, or gain new heads once killing an enemy, having up to 3 heads
-I already suggested hornets to becomes buffed by hive pack in my own post, having faster and stronger stings that penetrate 1 enemy, being able to be stronger than imps with a hive pack equipped
-tempest staff could still fire projectiles while approaching the enemy, and will have the number of sharkrons limited, like firing just a volley of sharkrons at a time similar to cthulhunados

Alright, I added a bunch stuff to the thread that I've been working on and picking out over the last couple days. I think I'm mostly finished with it myself, but if you have any weapons you yourself think are boring, I'd love to hear your ideas. Some weapons I personally think could get more attention are things like Blowgun, Golem Fist and Heat Ray.

I think the Influx Waver could use a bit of change because right now, it's virtually indistinguishable from the Terra Blade.
When you hit enemies, the swords teleport away and come back again to hit the enemy up to two extra times. It’s probably not as strong as Terra Blade, but it’s distinct enough imo.

I think that adding healing properties to crimson items would make crimson so much more superior to the crupption, you would have to make the healing very very weak.
crimson already has the concept of having slighly better weapons than corruption, by the cost of having a harder environment and enemies, but while some crimson weapons would be able to heal the player, corruption would be focused on inflicting unique DoT effects, also maybe the health drain of some crimson weapons could be replaced by a explosion of blood drops once killing an enemy

Back
Top Bottom