Weapons & Equip Making boring weapons more unique

crimson already has the concept of having slighly better weapons than corruption, by the cost of having a harder environment and enemies, but while some crimson weapons would be able to heal the player, corruption would be focused on inflicting unique DoT effects, also maybe the health drain of some crimson weapons could be replaced by a explosion of blood drops once killing an enemy
Life Drain and Vampire Knives are very powerful, so I think if we're putting lifesteal onto more crimson weapons, @Maaaaaaango is right. Also, "unique DoT effects". DoT isn't very unique, it is something that is seen in lots of places throughout the game.

The effects on demonite and crimtane didn’t need to be super fancy because it is still just demonite and crimtane, but I felt like they should have something small.

I settled on making Demonite inflict Weak (-4 defense and reduced contact damage) and Crimtane weapons giving a very small 0.5hp/s of regen, and nerfed the damage on some weapons on both to compensate.

Not sure if the regen on the crimtane gear needs to be somewhat lower, but it’s only 30 HP in a minute on what I decided on and you have to be constantly attacking, so I think it’s good enough.

I settled on making Demonite inflict Weak (-4 defense and reduced contact damage) and Crimtane weapons giving a very small 0.5hp/s of regen, and nerfed the damage on some weapons on both to compensate.

Not sure if the regen on the crimtane gear needs to be somewhat lower, but it’s only 30 HP in a minute on what I decided on and you have to be constantly attacking, so I think it’s good enough.
I think that makes sense and doesn't make crimson too overpowered in prehardmode.

When you hit enemies, the swords teleport away and come back again to hit the enemy up to two extra times. It’s probably not as strong as Terra Blade, but it’s distinct enough imo.
Fair point, but still, they both use similarly-sized projectiles and have relatively similar DPS. If the projectiles did something like inflict a debuff, it would be pretty distinct compared to all the other weapons of its tier.

Fair point, but still, they both use similarly-sized projectiles and have relatively similar DPS. If the projectiles did something like inflict a debuff, it would be pretty distinct compared to all the other weapons of its tier.
Maybe Influx Waver just needs a differently shaped projectile. Flying Dragon is contemporary with both swords and I never felt it was especially boring despite its similar functionality to the Terra Blade.

Maybe Influx Waver just needs a differently shaped projectile. Flying Dragon is contemporary with both swords and I never felt it was especially boring despite its similar functionality to the Terra Blade.
Well, it is pretty different. The Flying Dragon's projectiles go through blocks and disappear after flying a certain distance, and the Influx Waver and Terra Blade do neither.

Beam Sword and Influx Waver could both probably be given different looking projectiles. Enchanted Sword is fine since the idea is from Zelda and it’s fine for Terra Blade and its materials to shoot swords for consistency, but Beam Sword and Influx Waver could use new projectile sprites.

Last edited:
Also leaving some ideas:

Ever heard of something called obsidian swordfish? It is literally a stronger gungnir but with less range and also pre-mechs (and also requiring some agonizing lava fishing). My rework idea:
add a right click ability to dash at your cursor while holding the spear infront with a short invincability frame given, kind of like a parry. After successfully striking an enemy with a dash attack, It increases your critical damage from 200% to 400% for 3 sec (Given that it has an absurdly high amount of critical strike chance by default) and increases your defense by 20, and this ability has a cooldown of 1.5 sec.
This rework makes it more of a support weapon than a boring short ranged spear that is immensely difficult to get. Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of it being stupidly hard to obtain (duh)

Alright, I added a bunch stuff to the thread that I've been working on and picking out over the last couple days. I think I'm mostly finished with it myself, but if you have any weapons you yourself think are boring, I'd love to hear your ideas. Some weapons I personally think could get more attention are things like Blowgun, Golem Fist and Heat Ray.
Honestly I think that the Blowgun is fine, since there are only 4 dart weapons in the entire game. That said, you could do something similar to what you did with Tsunami, such as a purely visual change to darts fired out of it.

I can't think of any ideas that make the Golem Fist exactly interesting, but I can think of some changes that would make it much more usable. It could extend to the cursor then retract without going farther, so that it can have much more range and give it more of a chance to deal damage. Also, its fire rate and fist velocity could be increased, but its base damage lowered, so that it can hit more accurately but not have too much DPS.

The Umbrella and Tragic Umbrella could block the Rain projectile fired by Angry Nimbuses, just to give them a fun little niche.

Starlight's projectiles should have triple the range they do now, but to compensate they shouldn't pierce infinitely and should have less DPS.

The Rotted Fork should get lifesteal like the Crimtane weapons, and should fire a damaging blood drop that is not affected by gravity.

Gungnir should fire a projectile similar to your suggestion for Excalibur, but stick into enemies instead of piercing, and look like a spear. That would make it the single-target melee equivalent to Excalibur.

The Deadly Sphere Staff's minions should change based on the different modes. Here are my suggestions for the modes:
  • The mode with blades on either side would have crit chance.
  • The mode with spikes would leave spikes in enemies that deal damage over time and can be stacked.
  • The mode with small fire jets would leave sparks that fall on enemies and deal damage.
  • The mode with blue fire jets would make the minion move faster.

Starlight's projectiles should have triple the range they do now, but to compensate they shouldn't pierce infinitely and should have less DPS.
Fun fact, Starlight’s beams of light aren’t a projectile, they’re part of the weapon sprite. You’ll see this if you line up a large enemy where both the end of the blade and the beams of light hit: they only take damage once.

The Rotted Fork should get lifesteal like the Crimtane weapons, and should fire a damaging blood drop that is not affected by gravity.
I actually did do the same thing to Rotted Fork as the other crimson weapons (and Ball o’ Hurt), it’s in the multiclass section on the post. I like the blood projectile though, I’ll add something like that in, although it would make more sense for a blood drop to fall to gravity a bit.

add a right click ability to dash at your cursor while holding the spear infront with a short invincability frame given, kind of like a parry. After successfully striking an enemy with a dash attack, It increases your critical damage from 200% to 400% for 3 sec (Given that it has an absurdly high amount of critical strike chance by default) and increases your defense by 20, and this ability has a cooldown of 1.5 sec.
Maybe it should just give you a regular double-tap-a-direction dash that goes left and right instead, just for consistency’s sake. Regular old Swordfish could have something similar too.

I really like the change to night's edge. Having a projectile will make it more useful during boss fights. As of right now, I craft it in pre hardmode, slap it inside a chest, then takes it out post mechanical bosses to make the true night's edge.

Bone Sword should throw crossbones similar to the 1.4.1 Bone Glove.

Adamantite Glaive and Titanium Trident should fire a projectile similar to the North Pole, but without the snowflakes. Adamantite Glaive's projectile would pierce two enemies before breaking, while the Titanium Trident's wouldn't pierce at all.

Gladius should receive a buff if the player is wearing the Gladiator set.

Cobalt Sword should make the player faster and jump higher when holding the sword. After striking an enemy, the user would get the Ninja Stealth buff for three seconds. This makes the player swing faster, go even faster, and jump even higher. Also, it should be renamed to Cobalt Katana.

Cobalt Naginata, on critical hit, should give the player Ninja Stealth for ten seconds.

Palladium Pike, on critical hit, should make the enemy burst into flames, sending fire spikes to nearby enemies.

I actually did do the same thing to Rotted Fork as the other crimson weapons (and Ball o’ Hurt), it’s in the multiclass section on the post. I like the blood projectile though, I’ll add something like that in, although it would make more sense for a blood drop to fall to gravity a bit.
Speaking of the Rotted Fork, why doesn't the Corruption have a spear? The Crimson has an equivalent to the Ball o' Hurt, so why not?

Bone Sword should throw crossbones similar to the 1.4.1 Bone Glove.

Adamantite Glaive and Titanium Trident should fire a projectile similar to the North Pole, but without the snowflakes. Adamantite Glaive's projectile would pierce two enemies before breaking, while the Titanium Trident's wouldn't pierce at all.

Gladius should receive a buff if the player is wearing the Gladiator set.

Cobalt Sword should make the player faster and jump higher when holding the sword. After striking an enemy, the user would get the Ninja Stealth buff for three seconds. This makes the player swing faster, go even faster, and jump even higher. Also, it should be renamed to Cobalt Katana.

Cobalt Naginata, on critical hit, should give the player Ninja Stealth for ten seconds.

Palladium Pike, on critical hit, should make the enemy burst into flames, sending fire spikes to nearby enemies.
I debated giving something to Hardmode ores, but the issue is that they are literally 18 different weapons and I would have to give them similar and thematically fitting but distinct attacks that also follow a general progression in power *and* don’t do something that other weapons don’t already do. I just settled with changing Hallowed and letting the ore weapons be ore weapons, tbh. I like the idea of Cobalt giving more mobility though.

Speaking of the Rotted Fork, why doesn't the Corruption have a spear? The Crimson has an equivalent to the Ball o' Hurt, so why not?
No idea, tbh. Maybe the Dark Lance would make more sense as a demonite + shadow scales craft, help lighten up the loot pool of the hell chests, give it a relevant role, and make it more consistent between world evils though.

You can double post on your own threads. I am unstoppable.

It's just Big Crimson trying to keep us Corruption folks down, man!

Maybe it was an oversight on the devs part? Easy to miss a forgettable early-game spear weapon. Or my conspiracy actually is correct and they want Crimson to be more enticing.
No idea, tbh. Maybe the Dark Lance would make more sense as a demonite + shadow scales craft, help lighten up the loot pool of the hell chests, give it a relevant role, and make it more consistent between world evils though.

You can double post on your own threads. I am unstoppable.
we need to stop him. he's gone mad!

When are you planning on adding my, @CursedSliver's and @Mr. Spruce Tree's ideas?
It's just Big Crimson trying to keep us Corruption folks down, man!

Maybe it was an oversight on the devs part? Easy to miss a forgettable early-game spear weapon. Or my conspiracy actually is correct and they want Crimson to be more enticing.
I actually think that the Crimson is better and already more enticing than the Corruption.

Back
Top Bottom