TCF Suggestion Making forum navigation a bit easier

Would you use these tools?

• Total voters

Athrisir

Terrarian
A few small suggestions that could make the forums a bit easier to navigate, anyone?

Here we go:

A "Save Post" Button

Have you ever seen a post you want to see over and over again, whether it be useful info, or a funny joke, or anything you want saved? Despair no longer, TCF! Now, with a simple click of your mouse, you can save any post on the forum! The button would be down there with +Quote and Reply, under every post. You could view the list under the mouseover menu under your username.

Pros:
-Could make it easier to find specific posts

Cons:
-None, this idea actually seems quite simple and easy, with nothing to hold it back

Example:
Let's say Mangle is reading a thread. He finds a post that has useful information, so he saves the post. He could later visit a list of saved posts, and go right to the saved post! There would obviously be an "Unsave Post" option, too!

"Read Later" Button

I've always felt that we need a way to go beyond simply "Watching" a thread. How about a way to add a thread to a list of threads you want to read later/save for later? The button to add a thread to this list could be next to "Watch Thread" or under the "Thread Tools" menu. You could access your list from the menu that opens when you mouse over your name. This would be useful so we could save a thread without having to reply to it and getting unwanted (or wanted) alerts. If you have a thread on this list, maybe a little symbol of a list could appear where the sticky/watching thread symbols are.

Pros:
-Make reading threads easier
-Prevents unwanted alerts
-Overall, pretty useful

Cons:
-Might be a bit confusing at first
-We already can search threads up

Example:
Mangle wants to read the "True Copper Shortsword" (#AdvertisingDon'tHateMe) thread. However, he has to go somewhere. He can click "Read Later" and easily find the thread when he comes back.

+Quote porting between threads

Multiquote drives me crazy. What if you want to quote a funny conversation, and then PM it to your friends, or report an entire chain of arguments to a mod? Nope, it only works for the thread you add them on. My point is to let multiquote quotes be able to be inserted into any thread or PM

Pros:
-Makes recording entire conversations much easier.
-Makes Multiquote useful

Cons:
-None that I can think of

Example:
Mangle just found a funny Forum Game chain going on. He wants to save the quotes to PM to his friend so he can see. He clicks +Quote, and then goes to the PM. He can then insert quotes from anywhere that he has multiquoted previously. Simple, right?

So what do you think?

Last edited:
I definitely like the "read later" button idea, but the only thing is that these two could just be combined into one, as you could have the "read later" button on every post, instead of just the thread itself. Like you said, if you notice a specific post has good information, there's no need to write it down, instead just use "read later" for that post, because I'm sort of doubting people would want to go the extra step.

I definitely like the "read later" button idea, but the only thing is that these two could just be combined into one, as you could have the "read later" button on every post, instead of just the thread itself. Like you said, if you notice a specific post has good information, there's no need to write it down, instead just use "read later" for that post, because I'm sort of doubting people would want to go the extra step.
Thanks, let me add that up there

1: usefull.
2: I am against it because you can just bookmark it on your browser.
3: also against because you can just copy and paste it elsewhere.

Last edited:
I like every single one of those ideas, they sound pretty interesting, and appear to be as equally as useful if they were ever to be made official.

1: useful, but unnecessary. You could always copy it and paste it somewhere like a notepad file for funny/useful stuff, TCF Screenshots, or, on iDevices, use the notes app.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to provide info for the other two.

2: yes, please. Though you didn't explain the way of access that well, I really like this idea. Also, it would be useful when searching in social forums. Search function doesn't appear to include there.

3: Not needed. Quote them all, use "Save Draft" to go to the next page and keep the quotes, copy and paste it.

Just a little note, +quotes already work for different threads. It only doesn't work on PMs currently, mainly because the +quote isn't implemented in the PMs (yet?).

Most of these can be done already. Save thread=bookmark it in your browser. You can easily make a 'saved threads' folder. The same goes for watch later. With multiquote, you can simply insert the quote into the text box at the bottom of a thread, and then copy/paste it to wherever.
But that doesn't mean these wouldn't be useful.

Back
Top Bottom