Sprites Making Living Trees Growable

652Graystripe

Plantera
This was originally going to be part of a much larger suggestion that's coming in, but I decided to post it separately. It's easy enough to tell from the title.

Living_Tree_Seed.png
Living Tree Seed
-Found in Living Chests
-Can be bought from the Dryad for 2
GoldCoin.gif

Effectively, when planted, this will begin to grow a living tree in several days' time - better yet, it's specific to the biome it's in, including Boreal, Palm, Pearlwood, Shadewood and Ebonwood living trees. I've divided the mechanical explanation into pieces so as to make it as clear as possible, especially from a coding standpoint.

To plant the seed at all:
-5 horizontal grass tiles of the same type are needed
-These tiles must have 5 blocks of empty space on either side
-There must be at least 10 vertical blocks for the tree to begin to grow

To grow a full tree:
-A rough trapezoid of space, free of all monsters, critters and players, must be available:
--4 blocks at the base
--20 at the top
--45 blocks tall
IF the above conditions are met;
THEN the tree will wait two days and begin to grow, even if the player is on-screen.
Layers will be added, one by one, until it's complete all the way up.
The tree will never grow partially - this is to make block calculation easier on the game.

Of course, these living trees can occur naturally as well, in the Crimson, Ocean, Corruption or Tundra. Hallowed trees will occur only if a tree is taken over fully by the Hallow.

Wands and leaf wands are available if you guys want them, but that's auxiliary.

I assume that these living trees would not contain a basement? I.e. they'd be the type that doesn't have a chests or hollow passage inside it? Would it produce roots? (I'd say no to keep things easier, otherwise you need to avoid it replacing player placed blocks and that could get messy.)

When I envisioned a growable living tree, I always thought it'd be Acorn + [something] = Golden Acorn. Then the golden acorn would have a chance of growing into a living tree or a normal tree. I can't remember what the something is though...

I assume that these living trees would not contain a basement? I.e. they'd be the type that doesn't have a chests or hollow passage inside it? Would it produce roots? (I'd say no to keep things easier, otherwise you need to avoid it replacing player placed blocks and that could get messy.)

When I envisioned a growable living tree, I always thought it'd be Acorn + [something] = Golden Acorn. Then the golden acorn would have a chance of growing into a living tree or a normal tree. I can't remember what the something is though...
Yep, just garden-variety living trees.

As for the Golden Acorn, I'd probably make the "something" an early-game crafting item - perhaps demonite/crimtane, or jungle spores.

Back
Top Bottom