Weapons & Equip Making the Expert Items better

?hanya?

Terrarian
Hello.

In my last post which was about corruption and crimson, I got a lot of feedback which was mostly negative. Basicly, they were saying that expert items are made to be used until endgame. After thinking about it started to make a lot of sense so this post will be about making some expert items better.

Brain of confusion Brain tentacles
The brain of confusion is an object that is extremely talked about right now so I will not say too much. I have realised something that might help finding the brain of confusion utility:

Ichor lowers defense - Worm scarf grants more damage resistance;
Cursed flames deals damage overtime - Brain tentacles 2% life steal with every weapon.

If you are asking yourself why only 2%, If I made it 1% higher, you could be invincible with the fetids and some accessories that grants more dmg, critical chance, inv frames, etc.

Hive pack

When the honey regen buff is active, getting hit will spawn bees.

Bone glove

Change 33% to 50% chance not to comsume bones and change damage from 11 to 17.

Spore sac

The spores spawn 1.20x faster.

Gravity globe

The gravity globe will now only flip the player (not the world) and you will get 10% damage increase while in reverse gravity (For Post-Moon Lord modded bosses).

I would be glad to have feedback once again!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Glad to see I didn't scare you off last time, I always feel super bad after things like that happen...
Don't forget you can reply directly to your feedback using the reply and quote buttons!
Brain tentacles 2% life steal with every weapon.
Mmmmmmmm this is pretty overpowered... Especially with things like Holy Arrows and also the fact that impure summoners exist. I'm unsure how to fix this though, I might leave the task of fixing this up to Bame.
Hive pack

When the honey regen buff is active, getting hit will spawn bees.
Um... well... this... has the same problem as the honeycomb, except you can only use the ability for about 30 second after touching a liquid that significantly hinders your movement? I don't think adding a bunch of I-frame spammers to an extremely niche scenario is a buff... Especially not for endgame melee in particular. Plus, the Honey Comb (which is basically this with better uptime) is incredibly underpowered, because again, getting hit in expert mode is not a good idea.
Bone glove

Change 33% to 50% chance not to comsume bones and change damage from 11 to 17.
I guess this makes it a little better, but it certainly isn't something you'd want to use in endgame (or even the end of prehardmode...)
Spore sac

The spores spawn 1.20x faster.
Decent idea, actually! The spores hit really hard, and boosting their spawnrates by 20% probably makes them even better at their job. I mean, you wouldn't want to use them for bosses (except maybe grounded ones like Golem) but it would still be nice for general exploration and the Solar Pillar.
Gravity globe

The gravity globe will now only flip the player (not the world) and you will get 10% damage increase while in reverse gravity (For Post-Moon Lord modded bosses).
I don't think a buff like this is too necessary. It doesn't actually flip the world, it just flips your interface alongside the player. Meaning the first change would probably be better suited to a toggle in settings (and also wouldn't be too difficult to implement). Also, if a mod encourages use of it, can't the mod developer just modify the globe to do that damage increase themselves?

These ideas are actually quite a lot better than your last ones. Keep trying!

Thanks again for the feedback! Just realised I forgot to answer my previous post... But I will try to fix a little my suggestions!

Glad to see I didn't scare you off last time, I always feel super bad after things like that happen...
Don't forget you can reply directly to your feedback using the reply and quote buttons!

Mmmmmmmm this is pretty overpowered... Especially with things like Holy Arrows and also the fact that impure summoners exist. I'm unsure how to fix this though, I might leave the task of fixing this up to Bame.

Um... well... this... has the same problem as the honeycomb, except you can only use the ability for about 30 second after touching a liquid that significantly hinders your movement? I don't think adding a bunch of I-frame spammers to an extremely niche scenario is a buff... Especially not for endgame melee in particular. Plus, the Honey Comb (which is basically this with better uptime) is incredibly underpowered, because again, getting hit in expert mode is not a good idea.

I guess this makes it a little better, but it certainly isn't something you'd want to use in endgame (or even the end of prehardmode...)

Decent idea, actually! The spores hit really hard, and boosting their spawnrates by 20% probably makes them even better at their job. I mean, you wouldn't want to use them for bosses (except maybe grounded ones like Golem) but it would still be nice for general exploration and the Solar Pillar.

I don't think a buff like this is too necessary. It doesn't actually flip the world, it just flips your interface alongside the player. Meaning the first change would probably be better suited to a toggle in settings (and also wouldn't be too difficult to implement). Also, if a mod encourages use of it, can't the mod developer just modify the globe to do that damage increase themselves?

These ideas are actually quite a lot better than your last ones. Keep trying!

Brain tentacles

Not really sure how I should fix this one, I would either lower the percentage to 1% or set a max number of healing you can get per sec. Example: 5 max hp can be healed per sec (60 secs = 300 hp) or lower/higher

Hive Pack

Completely different from what I said, I would make some bees (not the small ones) come out of the player every 5 secs doing dmg depending on the situation. (Hardmode = 2x dmg | Each 100 life stack = 1.1 dmg so at 500 hp you would get 1.5x dmg | Plantera is beaten/Cultist is beaten = 1.75x dmg) I don't have the bees dmg values with me rn so idk if that still isnt enough or if it is overpowered.

Bone Glove

The bone glove is probably the hardest to fix but I think I got it. Being able to craft reinforced bones or other bone-type ammo would allow it to be balanced in pre-hardmode while still being used in hardmode.

Also I thought the gravity globe flipped the world so yeah, I guess it dosen't need to be fixed.

I would be glad to have feedback again!

EDIT:

Adding other dmg bonus to hive pack: Twins are beaten/Destroyer is beaten/Prime Skeletron is beaten = 1.75x dmg (Total of 393-541 per bees in endgame (1 to 4 bees per 5 sec))

Last edited:
I think you're on the right track with the Brain but I'd prefer some kind of n health returned per n damage dealt system since these percentile systems favor fast-firing weapons that will still regen the same health per hit as heavy-hitters. As for the rest it seems like stat changes that don't confront the core problems with the item (except the spore sack, more spores for that is fine)

I think you're on the right track with the Brain but I'd prefer some kind of n health returned per n damage dealt system since these percentile systems favor fast-firing weapons that will still regen the same health per hit as heavy-hitters. As for the rest it seems like stat changes that don't confront the core problems with the item (except the spore sack, more spores for that is fine)
I thought the percentage was of damage dealt, not total health?

Brain tentacles

Not really sure how I should fix this one, I would either lower the percentage to 1% or set a max number of healing you can get per sec. Example: 5 max hp can be healed per sec (60 secs = 300 hp) or lower/higher

Hive Pack

Completely different from what I said, I would make some bees (not the small ones) come out of the player every 5 secs doing dmg depending on the situation. (Hardmode = 2x dmg | Each 100 life stack = 1.1 dmg so at 500 hp you would get 1.5x dmg | Plantera is beaten/Cultist is beaten = 1.75x dmg) I don't have the bees dmg values with me rn so idk if that still isnt enough or if it is overpowered.
Brain Tentacles basically gives increased regen that improves with kills, which I like.

I have yet to test it myself, but the wiki says friendly bees deal 7-8 damage, or 8-11 damage with the Hive Pack. So yeah, Honey Comb suuuuuucks.

Ok I think I get your point. Then I will change it again by making it this way:

You can heal by 1.5% of your weapon dmg one time per second. (180 hp healed in 60 secs with meomwere with no accessories or buffs.)

Then I will change it again by making it this way:

You can heal by 1.5% of your weapon dmg one time per second. (180 hp healed in 60 secs with meomwere with no accessories or buffs.)

Since most weapons hit for less than 100, and the ones obtained at the time you'd get this have 30 at most, this is literally worse or on practically the same level as a Band of Regeneration during half the game. That % needs to be upped a lot, and then we run into the opposite issue: Weapons with high attack end up being way too good.

An item that gives the same special ability to every single weapon without restriction is asking for trouble. There is no way you can balance this universal lifesteal concept since there is going to be at least one item that will make you immortal when used with it.

The only real way to balance life steal is for the percentage of life restored to decrease for each major milestone, but then that creates more problems.

Though one more way it could be done is if the health restored was capped at maybe 5 per attack, or had a cool down if a certain hps(health per second) was reached, and I think something like that is already in vanilla Terraria, 40 health I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom