NPCs & Enemies Making the Frost Legion Legit

stormconure

Duke Fishron
(Idea partially inspired by @Leinfors during a talk on his Lihzahrd Invasion thread)
Note: I have since been informed that threads by SzGamer have similar concepts, so I'm offering this as a slight alternative.
Thanks to @SilverHexxitFights for the sprites!

Face it, the Frost Legion is kinda pathetic. It's just a bunch of snowmen that drop nothing but snow blocks. And the only thing it does is let Santa Claus move in. Santa just sells a bunch of random Christmas junk that doesn't seem worth fighting an invasion to obtain. I think it should be improved. A lot. Better enemies, better loot, better results. Let's get to it, shall we?

First of all, a change to the drop tables.
-Mister Stabby has a 50% chance to drop 1-3 throwing knives.
-Snowman Gangsta has a 75% chance to drop 1-3 musket balls.
-Snow Balla drops snowballs at the same rate as goblins' spiky balls.
-Mister Stabby has a 2% chance to drop a Sharpened Machete or Steel Shank.
-All snowmen drop 5-20 silver coins.

Also (idea by PulseFox) all snowmen take double damage from fire-type attacks.

New Miniboss: Mutant Killer Snow Goon (Calvin and Hobbes, anyone?)
Health: 750
Damage: 30 contact, 50 snowballs
Defense: 15
Knockback Resist: 50%
Wields a snowball machine gun.
Getting hit by a snowball (from you or a snow balla) will heal him for 20 health.
Sometimes creates Mister Stabbys.
Drops: Snowball Machine Gun (2%)

Sharpened Machete
index.php

Boomerang type weapon. Acts exactly like Bloody Machete when thrown.
Damage: 40
Knockback: average

Steel Shank
(Sprite Pending)
Shortsword. Average reach.
Damage: 35
Speed: 15
Knockback: weak
Crit: 10%

Snowball Machine Gun
Damage: 30 ranged
Attack Speed: 6
Ammo: Snowballs

After the Frost Legion has been defeated, it has results other than Santa Claus.
-Hand Warmers are added to the drop tables of all mobs that can inflict Chilled or Frozen.
-Corruption/Crimson/Hallow spread is slightly slowed while in an ice biome.

So, yeah, that's about it. Any other ideas are appreciated. What do you think?

Last edited:
The Frost Legion is pathetic, yup. Giving them loot that's already buyable from merchants isn't going to make them less pathetic though. I'd rather see them drop money instead.

Try giving them some unique loot, like a Tommy gun or a slingshot or a magic water pistol or other toy-like weapons. A huge carrot sword perhaps (although the Horsemen's blade already looks like one. :p ).

-Hand Warmers are added to the drop tables of all mobs that can inflict Chilled or Frozen.
Meh, it's a useless accessory anyway. Does anyone even use it?
Neutral about this one.

The drops of throwing knives, snowballs and musket balls while being nice ideas, seem like more of a nuisance really. The concept of the hand warmers and the corruption slowing down is quite good though.

Maybe you could think of more interesting drops for the snowmen to make it more akin to the pirate invasion, which has many unique drops.

EDIT: As Gotcha! mentioned, hand warmers aren't all that useful. Maybe have them drop Warmth Potions, or would that be too much?

The Frost Legion is pathetic, yup. Giving them loot that's already buyable from merchants isn't going to make them less pathetic though. I'd rather see them drop money instead.

Try giving them some unique loot, like a Tommy gun or a slingshot or a magic water pistol or other toy-like weapons. A huge carrot sword perhaps (although the Horsemen's blade already looks like one. :p ).

Meh, it's a useless accessory anyway. Does anyone even use it?
Neutral about this one.
Oh yes, i meant to put in the coins thing. Glad you mentioned it!

I was thinking of having the Gangsta drop his gun, but couldnt think of what kind of gun it is (not much of a gun person).

For hand warmers, i think SzGamer had something about it being added to the ankh shield. Besides, i keep one in my inventory to dispell the debuff whenever it comes on.
The drops of throwing knives, snowballs and musket balls while being nice ideas, seem like more of a nuisance really. The concept of the hand warmers and the corruption slowing down is quite good though.

Maybe you could think of more interesting drops for the snowmen to make it more akin to the pirate invasion, which has many unique drops.
I will try to think of more drops from all of them, but i want to keep the knives/bullets/snowballs. It just fits.

Doesn't really seem that worthwhile for a Hardmode invasion. I mean, musket balls? Throwing knives? I get those before HM anyway.

How about this for a drop from Mr. Stabby?
(Suggested stats only.)

Icicle_Shank.png

Icicle Shank
  • Shortsword
  • Dropped by Mr. Stabby (2.3% drop chance)
  • 38 melee damage
  • Very Fast speed
  • Weak knockback
  • 8% Critical Strike Chance

Doesn't really seem that worthwhile for a Hardmode invasion. I mean, musket balls? Throwing knives? I get those before HM anyway.

How about this for a drop from Mr. Stabby?
(Suggested stats only.)

View attachment 19556
Icicle Shank
  • Shortsword
  • Dropped by Mr. Stabby (2.3% drop chance)
  • 38 melee damage
  • Very Fast speed
  • Weak knockback
  • 8% Critical Strike Chance
Yes but it's free ammo. I did that on purpose. And the bullets and knives can be crafted into hardmode stuff so getting them for free can be helpful.

For that shank, i always thought of stabby as having an actual knife, not an icicle... Is it ok if i use it but make it just a normal metal shank?

I'm fine with that. The Icicle Shank was actually inspired by an item in Team Fortress 2, more or less.

Yeah, you're right, it looks like Stabby has a metal dagger in-game, though an icicle is a cool concept.

What if the Frost Legion had a sort of Pirate Captain: Snowy Capone, or something?

They don't necessarily have to drop the stuff they're holding. I like SilverHexxitFights' Icicle Shank. I think it suits them. :)
Ok, if that does sound better... I guess i can change it...
I'm fine with that. The Icicle Shank was actually inspired by an item in Team Fortress 2, more or less.

Yeah, you're right, it looks like Stabby has a metal dagger in-game, though an icicle is a cool concept.

What if the Frost Legion had a sort of Pirate Captain: Snowy Capone, or something?
Yes, thats a good idea. A miniboss snowman?

I always imagined a miniboss snowman with some kind of Gatling gun, or whatever. I'm not a very good spriter (the Icicle Shank was pushing it) so I'm not sure I would be the best to make it.

I always imagined a miniboss snowman with some kind of Gatling gun, or whatever. I'm not a very good spriter (the Icicle Shank was pushing it) so I'm not sure I would be the best to make it.
I have something else in mind...

Mutant Killer Snow Goon (Calvin and Hobbes refenrece)
Sometimes spawns Mister Stabbys at his location.
Wields a snowball machine gun cannon.
Damage: 30 contact, 50 snowballs
HP: 750
Movement Speed: slow

Can he be stun locked, like the Captain?
Yes, he has knockback resistance, but is easy to stunlock.

Sticking to the calvin and hobbes theme: getting hit by a snowball (from you or a snow balla) will heal him for 20 health.
Well his kinda focused on the drops themselves; mine has additional stuff as well (im adding a miniboss). I guess they are different enough...

Well his kinda focused on the drops themselves; mine has additional stuff as well (im adding a miniboss). I guess they are different enough...
With the inclusion of this other thread of mine...
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/enemies-should-be-dropping-ammo-if-they-use-ammo.1706/
...only the Throwing Knife drops and the new Miniboss are unique to this thread.

Luckily for you, those are both actually really good ideas. The new enemy would be interesting to fight... definitely unique.

The only thing I can think that would make it better is a Snowball Machinegun drop.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/enemies-should-be-dropping-ammo-if-they-use-ammo.1706/
...only the Throwing Knife drops and the new Miniboss are unique to this thread.
Wow, i never saw that thread...
Luckily for you, those are both actually really good ideas. The new enemy would be interesting to fight... definitely unique.

The only thing I can think that would make it better is a Snowball Machinegun drop.
Thanks! And I cant believe I never thought of the snowball machine gun drop... Im being really derpy today :p

I like the idea. Of all invasions, the frost legion is indeed the most pathetic and useless.
Not sure if they should drop musket balls and throwing knifes, though. The sharpened machete also seems pretty redundant; We already have the Bloody Machete. As you said, it functions in the exact same way, and I can't see it being different enough in appearance to be worth adding instead of something we don't have yet. I don't know what else they should drop then, but despite the difference in damage I think we should have them drop something that we don't more or less already have in the game.

I like the idea. Of all invasions, the frost legion is indeed the most pathetic and useless.
Not sure if they should drop musket balls and throwing knifes, though. The sharpened machete also seems pretty redundant; We already have the Bloody Machete. As you said, it functions in the exact same way, and I can't see it being different enough in appearance to be worth adding instead of something we don't have yet. I don't know what else they should drop then, but despite the difference in damage I think we should have them drop something that we don't more or less already have in the game.
The machete was supposed to be a HM upgrade to the bloody machete. As for the knives and bullets, i thought they should drop the ammo they use (like in SZ's thread he mentioned earlier).

Shortly after considering the Gatling gun, I agreed with Conure on the Snowball Machinegun. The Snowball Cannon really deserves an upgrade.

The machete was supposed to be a HM upgrade to the bloody machete.
I know, but as I said it just seems slightly redundant to me. Guess that's just me, though.
As for the knives and bullets, i thought they should drop the ammo they use (like in SZ's thread he mentioned earlier).
I think it'd be kind of a nuisance though, even more than the snow blocks they drop (and especially the ones they place) are now.

Back
Top Bottom