Weapons & Equip Making the mana bar useful for all classes.

Wurm

Terrarian
Surely I'm not the only one who compulsively maxes out their mana bar at the start of the game then never actually uses it due to the fact that I'm running a ranger build, Then resenting the mana bar due to how little I use it, So here are a few halfassed ideas to make the bar more than just an ammo bar for mages!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step one: Rework projectile melees.

Okay, Gonna get the most controversial part of this thread out of the way immediately. The fact that melee class has basically become a mage class without mana useage has been a peeve to many people on this forum, With alot of people stating a wish to simply remove projectile melees alltogether only for people in favor of melee's mageification to post pictures of duke fishron stating "you try beating this with melee", Well I got a middle ground for you guys: Make projectile melees MORE like mage weapons!

It's simple really, Make it so that the projectile attacks of melee weapons cost mana to fire, Thereby preventing infinite spamming from across the screen. When the mana bar's depleted the sword can still swing but it loses its ability to fire projectiles, HOWEVER!! Swords that fire projectiles get a buff to go along with this: Hitting enemies with the sword itself generates mana. Enough so that if you're constantly hitting enemies with your sword you can fire projectiles and STILL have a positive mana gain, Encouraging melee players to actually get in close when they can to get some of that sweet manasteal.

I feel this would solidify melee's role as a CQC class while still allowing you to get the hell away from fishron, People who don't want to get in close to recharge their swordbeams can just stock up on mana pots to get around this change alltogether.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step two: Make magic GUNS (laser weapons and what have you) count as magic AND ranged, Allowing them to gain bonuses from both armor types and share prefixes.

This one's kinda weird, But as a ranger I so often find myself ogling those sexy laser guns and using them frequently to mow down trash enemies to save my bullets, Even though I can't get any bonuses on them due to them being awkwardly lumped in with all those silly magic wands and possessed Steven king novels. I for one feel like rangers should get some laser love too!

Step three: Weirdass accessories!

So I got a few random accessory ideas that I just felt like shoehorning in for the hell of it, But who cares because it's (kinda) themed with the rest of the thread!

Eldrich rune. (Props if you get the reference)

Ranged criticals deal QUAD DAMAGE and cost a third of the weapon's base damage to crit.

Downside: If mana bar is empty ranged weapons cannot crit.

Does not work while mana sickness is active.

Tier: ??? (reader's choice)

Obtained by: ???(Reader's choice)

Portable bullet press.

While equipped: Bullets (and arrows, Because terraria logic) aren't consumed while the wearer has sufficient mana, Instead X (reader's choice) points of mana are consumed in place of the bullet.

Bloodlust charm. (placeholder name)

While equipped: Melee critical melee hits drop a single heart pickup, Melee crits also cost 20 mana. (a full star), Melee weapons cannot crit if mana is depleted.

More? (insert your ideas here.)

Aaaaand that's about it, Leave your gripes and/or approval down below. Preferably gripes as I like hearing what people think is wrong with my ideas.

Last edited:
That would make Warriors Manly again
10/10
I would love the game even more with this Nerf to Ranged-Magic-Spaming-Swords

Great, because we need to make warriors even closer to just being mages. Apart from that change, I like this suggestion. But I don't see the need to change projectile melee weapons, as stupid as they may be.

This is a good suggestion EXCEPT everything you suggested here could just be remedied by mana potions without the minus damage

I actually touched on this subject in my thread idea of adding a new set of weapons with mana costing mechanics. My thread is about trying to simulate constructive conversations about what new weapons you'd add to revamp melee combat.

The issue with changing the hierarchy of existing content is that it'll change what people are used to, the things they currently like. One such user showed great concern that my suggestion was going to inadvertently bring back the mechanic that melee projectile effects cost mana again.

What I proposed was a block feature on one of my ideas that costs mana per-"something" to mitigate damage. This would mean it couldn't be abused for long periods but give melee a means to combat at point blinks ranges again 'late game'. I thought pretty much everyone wins if that happened. We get a whole new style of combat with matching new weapons but leave the existing weapon as they are for those that do enjoy them.

I support the intention of this thread but I think you should rework it to try and satisfy a higher majority of players.
I'd greatly appreciate it if people could help contribute to promoting the subject that melee needs more fun/engaging combat late game beside shooting endless projectiles.

The change to melee weapons would give Boomerangs, flails and yoyos a point in that, while they would be worse than projectile melee weapons in terms of range and inmediate DPS, they would have the advantage of not being forced to stop after several attacks.
As for laser guns being hybrid weapons, they should also get ammo for their ranged abilities.
As for the accessories, they shouldn't prevent weapons from dealing critical hits upon running out of mana. Rather, they should simply make crits behave as if the accessories weren't used.

As for the accessories, they shouldn't prevent weapons from dealing critical hits upon running out of mana. Rather, they should simply make crits behave as if the accessories weren't used.
Good point, Though I'll refrain from altering the OP until it appears that more people are in favor of this change.

One Idea:

Enchated Turtle Shell(craft from Frozen Turtle Shell someway):

Reduce the damage by 30%, consume 1 mana for each damage absorbed.
If the mana is not enough, it will absorb damage as much as it can.
Also give a debuff call Mana Stun for 1s each time effected, when the debuff is on, you cannot regenerate mana and cannot restore mana in any ways(can't drink a mana potion, can't pick a star and the Magic Cuffs won't work), this is to prevent it being too powerful.
Doesn't work when the mana drops to 0 or in debuff of Mana Sickness, still work in debuff of Mana Stun.

Step one: Rework projectile melees.

Okay, Gonna get the most controversial part of this thread out of the way immediately. The fact that melee class has basically become a mage class without mana useage has been a peeve to many people on this forum, With alot of people stating a wish to simply remove projectile melees alltogether only for people in favor of melee's mageification to post pictures of duke fishron stating "you try beating this with melee", Well I got a middle ground for you guys: Make projectile melees MORE like mage weapons!

It's simple really, Make it so that the projectile attacks of melee weapons cost mana to fire, Thereby preventing infinite spamming from across the screen. When the mana bar's depleted the sword can still swing but it loses its ability to fire projectiles, HOWEVER!! Swords that fire projectiles get a buff to go along with this: Hitting enemies with the sword itself generates mana. Enough so that if you're constantly hitting enemies with your sword you can fire projectiles and STILL have a positive mana gain, Encouraging melee players to actually get in close when they can to get some of that sweet manasteal.

I feel this would solidify melee's role as a CQC class while still allowing you to get the hell away from fishron, People who don't want to get in close to recharge their swordbeams can just stock up on mana pots to get around this change alltogether.
Huh. I wasn't prepared to make an angry rant against a middle ground.

I wonder how viable using up all your mana as a mage and attacking with a projectile melee weapon would be.

Back
Top Bottom