Important Many links here will be broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunnel King

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The contents of the original T-MEC Social Group were moved to here in January/February 2019, as part of removing the social group feature.

Because of the non-standard process we had to use to move the content, an unfortunate side effect is that links to other T-MEC threads within the old social group will no longer be valid. We had to create entirely new threads for the post content. There is really no reasonable way that I could have manually found and manually updated all of these 'internal' links as I was moving the content - it would have taken me years to do that, given the large number of threads/posts and links involved.

What is almost certainly broken:

- URLs that include thread references to other T-MEC social group threads, that look like this example:
Code:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/multiplayer-wiring-mechanics-issues-anomalies-pc-1-3-0-8.40828/
Because the Social Group plugin mucked with the basic structure of Xenforo threads, Social Group threads were not compatible with 'normal' threads and we could not simply relocate them. We had to create a new 'normal' thread and merge the posts from the original SG thread into that. (The plugin did not alter the structure of posts as far as we can tell; that's why this method worked.)

What is possibly broken:

- URLs for quoted passages from other T-MEC thread posts. If the system inserted the reference by post ID (as it seems to have done pretty consistently in my spot checks), then everything should be fine and the URLs should still work correctly. However, it is possible that some of these quote references may have used a thread/page#/post# reference, and if so those are likely broken.
qutoed posts.png

What should still be fine:

- Links to threads and sites outside of the T-MEC Social Group. For example, links to the Suggestion Section, to reddit, to Steam, etc. should all work as intended.
- Images uploaded to TCF (attachments). These are stored separately within the Xenforo system, and should not be affected by the location of the post(s) that reference them. This also applies to attached world files, zip files, etc.
- Images and videos embedded into posts. As long as the content is still available on the hosting site, these should be fine. Note that if sites like puush, s33, etc. that are primarily for temporary image hosting were used, those links may be broken, but they would have been broken before I moved the threads as well. Same goes for YouTube videos that have been taken down for whatever reason - that is beyond our control and has nothing to do with moving the thread content.

What can be done to resolve this?

If you are the author of posted content here and can find/fix any such links in your content yourself, that would help immensely. The thread names should still be the same here as what they were in the Social Group.

Many people have left/become inactive, so their content is unlikely to be updated. If you see a broken link and can provide us with a working one, you can Report the post and give the the information for the staff to update.

Beyond that, 'it is what it is', unfortunately. The alternative would have been to lose all of the content (4+ years worth) when the Social Group feature gets removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom