Portfolio/Multi-Topic Map markers, Path finding and Smart cursor addition

SusiKette

Terrarian
Just a few things that came to my mind. Let me know what you think.

1. Map Markers

This could make finding certain locations a bit easier. Practical uses could be marking chests that you either can't open yet or still has loot in it, ore veins that you can't mine yet, pockets of corruption/crimson or hallow (spawned from destroying an altar) that you want to get rid of possibly at a later point with better equipment. At the beginning of the game this doesn't seem very relevant, but as you explore more and more of the map (especially in a large world) it would become more useful. Some people probably can figure other uses for them as well.

2. Path Finding

Especially for the Fighter AI and NPC AI. They are very simple. Since most NPCs are humans it makes them sometimes seem pretty dumb when they don't know how to get to where they are trying to get and just helplessly walk around. This is mostly used when NPCs return to their rooms if they have wandered somewhere. For enemies, path finding would make combat a bit more exiting especially in a less straightforward environment. Archers and other ranged enemies could seek a place where they can shoot you instead of just walking back and forth until they see you.

EDIT: For NPCs this could be also used to make sure the NPCs don't go to places where they can't get back to their room.

3. Smart Cursor for blocks

Walls and platforms already have this option, so why not regular blocks as well? This would be helpful with large building projects especially. Depending on what side of a block (wall/ceiling/floor) you point at when you start placing the blocks would be where it would start building. If you point a one block thick wall, it would start making it thicker as far up and down as long as it has range, the wall ends (for instance if a ceiling is not there yet and it is just a vertical column of blocks) or it meets a floor or ceiling. Other sides would work with a similar logic. There also could be a similar feature how you can place platforms when making a bridge. Point at the end of the bridge and it'll start extending it. This would support bridges that are thicker than just one block.

4. Biome detector

An accessory that would display the percentage rate of each biome in the surrounding area. This would be useful for those who want to rid the world of one of the spreading biomes as it would let them see if they missed any blocks when clearing an area and find a corrupted/hallowed area a little bit off screen similar to how Lifeform Detector and Metal Detector do. Only biomes present would be listed so once a biome is not listed it indicates it is not present anymore. It doesn't need to show all biomes, just the non-standard ones, such as corruption, crimson, hallow and mushroom biomes. Other biomes like forest (default biome), jungle, granite, marble, underworld, etc. would be not listed.

5. Shared map in multiplayer

This is the only multiplayer specific thing that I wish would be there. Of course depending on multiplayer type this might not be desirable, so it would be a server specific setting. Either disabled (default), share with teammates or share with all. I especially always play multiplayer with my friend in a teamwork fashion so it'd be useful to see where others have been. Map would be logged on the server side based on player position and sent to clients based on the refresh rate set in the settings.

Back
Top Bottom