Votes: 31 70.5%
  • No!

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I still can't see the sprites! *crie*

Votes: 30 68.2%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
First of all, I'd like to see these suggestions implemented along with an expansion of the Ocean biome. It's otherwise too small to be worth it.

These suggestions are, like ocean fauna, assorted and highly varied. But they're all (mostly) associated with equipment, so I stuck 'em here.

By the way, a huge cookie goes to Zoomo for spriting almost all of these, as well as Jestex and Corenality, who provided amazing sprites without me even asking! Unless specified otherwise, these are all by Zoomo.

But first let's start with the equipment that isn't from the Ocean biome.

Lamprey
Rarely obtained by fishing in the Crimson.
This is the counterpart to the Purple Clubberfish. A lamprey in real life is essentially an eel with a deathly suction cup for a mouth that drains the juices out of enemies...perfect for the Crimson!

Think of it as an inferior Piranha Gun. When you use it, the lamprey's head shoots out and latches onto an enemy for constant damage. Differences: Lamprey does far less damage, has severely restricted range, and does not automatically seek out another target once the current one is dead.

Lamprey.png

Here's the Lamprey's item sprite, complete with the fitting Crimson palette.

Now the Ocean biome goodies.

Hatchet_Fish.png

Hatchetfish
An axe, because some people don't like chainsaws. Fished out of the Jungle biome Ocean biome, because the freshwater hatchetfish is much too flimsy to imagine cutting down a tree with. Has the same axe power as the Sawtooth Shark.

Yes, it was in fact Zoomo who ended up convincing me to use the marine hatchetfish.

Cleaner Wrasse copy.png

Cleaner Wrasse

A tool obtained by fishing in the Ocean. -1 to range.
It removes the Corruption and Crimson from one block at a time. In real life, the Cleaner Wrasse cleans parasites and food scraps from the teeth of large predatory fish.

uD47roi.png

Pistol Shrimp
Fished out of the Ocean. A gun that is faster than the Musket and stronger than The Undertaker. Unique property: with each shot, it fires a short-range burst of bubbles that deals the same damage as a Musket Ball, even if it's out of ammo. Sprited by Jestex!

In real life, the Pistol Shrimp (or Snapping Shrimp) is known for its ability to stun prey with a high-powered bubble fired from one of its claws. Incredibly cool.

And enemies with their drops:

Remora
An uncommon enemy in the Ocean biome. They are more likely to be found attached to sharks (Sharks will have a chance to spawn with a Remora attached, which gives them a different sprite), and when such a shark is killed, the Remora is released. Remoras have a 5% 10% chance of dropping a Suction Pad.

Shark_Remora.png
So this is what a shark looks like when it spawns with a Remora.

Remora.png
And here's Zoomo's Remora by itself, when its ride is dead.

Suction_Cup.png

Suction Pad
An accessory that allows the user to cling to background walls by hitting the up directional key. Once attached, you may hit down to fall normally, or space to jump. Need to think of some tinkers.

Stingray.png

Stingray
Spawns at rest on the floor of the Ocean biome, and aggressively chases players that get close. 1% 5% chance of dropping a Stingray Barb.

Stingray_Barb.png

Stingray Barb
A very fast but rather short spear that has a 33% chance of inflicting Venom.

Shark_Gills.png

Shark Gills
Slowly restores breath while moving in water. It only kicks in after 2 seconds of movement, though. In real life, all sharks (except bottom dwellers like the Nurse Shark) must continually swim to keep breathing, so that was pretty easy to fit into game balance. 2% drop rate from Sharks. (And then I might want to make the Diving Helmet a 1% drop from Pink Jellyfish, Crabs, Sharks, and Barracuda.)

Can be tinkered with Jellyfish Diving Gear to make a Shark Suit. No, not Arctic Diving Gear. Sharks generally prefer tropical waters, and I think the Greenland shark is far too obscure. Just wear Frostsparks and quit complaining.

Barracuda.png

Barracuda
May spawn and replace Sharks in the HM Ocean. Offensive stats slightly better than Arapaima. They tend to school in real life, so perhaps we'll make it so Barracuda never spawn alone. Still need to think of special drops for this one.

2r5coar.jpg

Nurse Shark
Shares AI with the Stingray. A rare enemy that drops pieces of the Nurse Costume when killed, even outside of Halloween. I know, hilaaaarious. Sprited by Corenality!

Cormorant_Staff.png
Cormorant.png

Cormorant Staff
A summoner weapon that summons Cormorant minions. Cormorants attack enemies by hovering over them and making dives, but otherwise behave mostly like Ravens.
In the absence of enemies, Cormorants will seek bodies of water and make dives every ten seconds, then fly back to their owner to drop off their fish if they caught any. The success rate starts at 20%, but is affected by fishing power bonuses and penalties.

Cormorants behave roughly this way in real life (except they aren't suited for combat). Certain cultures do in fact use them for fishing, but slip metal rings around their necks so they don't steal the catch!

Minnow (Thanks DakotaSpine!)
This is a 5HP passive that spawns in any surface body of water excluding the ocean. It can be caught with a Bug Net, and either released, stuck in a terrarium/aquarium, or used as bait. (20% power.)

The tricky thing is that when at least one Minnow is present, their spawn rate becomes quite high.

Giant Enemy Crab
2000 health
50 damage (contact)
34 damage (bubble)
44 defense
Look at those stats. Do they not scream "miniboss"?

Occasionally releases a cluster of much smaller homing detonating bubbles.

It's actually made of 3 parts. Two of them are its pincers.

Crab Pincer
100 health
90 damage
200 defense
These are by the crab's sides at all times, and tank pretty much any non-piercing attack.

Drops:

Carapace
Equipable
Increases defense by 10 when not moving.

Crustacean Claw
A sort of spear with a snapping animation.
80 melee damage
Slow speed
20% chance to instakill anything with less than 1000 maximum health

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Let me know what you think, and hopefully this gets at least some people interested in how amazing nature can be.

Last edited:
I really loved the idea behind all the fish related Tools and Weapons in 1.2.4.1, I would love to see more things like this added into the game. Definitely in love with some of these.

(Sorry for double posting)
As someone who loves sharks and the ocean in real life, I really love the idea of the ocean in Terraria being brought more to life. As much as it sucks that I cannot view the, presumably, amazing sprites I can the general gist of these ideas. Some helpful ideas:
-Can the suction pad, shoe spikes, and climbing claw mix to create like a 3rd dimensional wall climber. That's the only tinker I imaged it with.
-I love love love all the new mobs you've created. But I would love it if you could make a sort of Giant squid miniboss for hardmode. After you kill him then the Truffle worms will start to spawn. And to spawn him you need to take a squid with a fishing net ( something you can make the angler sell to pick up Goldfish, Squid, Minnows, and The Snail things.) Take a squid and craft it with 5 souls of fright to spawn it underwater. It would be an underwater fight and kinda like a sideways skeletron battle. With tentacles instead of arms.
-There should be a random chance during world gen that spawns a coral reef on one side of the ocean, it'll use the coral block given from quests and it will have Moray Eels and More tropicalesc fish. And that could be where you spawn the Giant Crab Boss you made.

Love all these ideas <3

Maybe you can make another minion: The Gannet
Dives at enemies doing massive damage
Same as cormorant with fishing but has 50% fishing power
Can attack underwater without getting slowed in dive

Box Jellyfish
Damage: 100
Venom debuff
HP: 5 but damage is done if you use a melee weapon

All I needed to see was the pistol shrimp for me to love this, also don't forget the mantis shrimp!

Neat concept, good ideas. An overall great suggestion, one that I think would work well in-game.

This is a really, really cool idea! I love oceans and marine biology, so this would be amazing to be added! IMO, rather then completely replacing sharks in Hard Mode, they should just spawn as well in HM. Also, what if there was a Megalodon miniboss? Or a species of prehistoric marine reptile? (Liopleurodon? :p Or we could go with Tylosaurus)

I like it would help out the ocean which is lacking great for the surface ocean...
pity I can't see the sprites :(

Here's an idea I had to add on to this suggestion, since Barracuda's aren't as aggressive towards humans in reality, it would be pretty cool if instead of replacing sharks, they could spawn kinda like the hardmode ocean's Pirahna's. Make them spawn in groups and swarm you, and instead replace the shark with something like a White Death (a nickname for the Great White Shark, the appearance could be larger and more faithful to the great white), or Megalodon (although that's more fitting of a miniboss/boss)

I really don't know how this thread died so quickly, its an amazing one with some awesome content. All of the enemies and tools are completely unique!

Back
Top Bottom