Mass Storage Design

Monkey

Official Terrarian
Mass Storage Designs

Hey Terrarians,

I am new here, that being to the forums, and being fairly new to the game. So go easy on me for presentation and content. ;)

I would also like to iterate my apologies to the staff if this is posted in the incorrect location.

Ok, I am a seasoned Minecraft player, so the storage method within Terraria is abnormal to me, especially the quick stack feature.

As I have plundered my way through various forums and Youtube videos with the hopes of finding a storage design that fits ME, I have realized that not many people use the old fashioned method, alternatively they make a storage system that caters towards the quick stack mechanic, which is fine, but for me it looks ugly unless done with care, and even after that can still prove an issue at locating certain items, when the time comes.

So back to the point of finding something for ME, eventually I realized that I was not going to find what I was looking for so I began on a little project using my knowledge from other sandbox games, to develop a storage system that had the core component of ME.

I want to show everyone a simple, stackable mass storage concept.

I have tried too make it as mundane as possible, using very basic resources to show that it can be built without infinite platinum and a 24 hour mining session. This also means that this design can be altered drastically with either the layout or the blocks used, to look truly magnificent.

I must also iterate that I play Terraria on the Xbox One, so currently we lack certain items the PC Terrarians have. That being crafting stations, item frames, etc... which highly hinders my building ability especially since I wanted to label my ore chests etc... with the corresponding item frame. Fingers crossed for the 1.3 update to come out as soon as possible.

eA4fnf1.jpg

ydIYC2x.jpg

bmM6A9g.png

1. Crafting Stations - The signs that you can see say a corresponding crafting station that needs to be placed there, again I am on the Xbox One so we lack some crafting stations ( I think PC Terrarians have 2 more than we do? ) each of the crafting stations will fit, including the bottle for alchemy, and the bookshelf at the very bottom.
  2. Ores & Bars - The signs that you can see say the corresponding ore & bar that should be in that chest ( This comes back to my point of lacking item frames, these would make it look much more organised, and more pleasing to look at. And again we lack some ores PC Terrarians have. )
  3. Blocks - For mundane blocks. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours, maybe label a stone chest since you get a mass amount while mining ( Also I made this design stackable, so if you was to ever reach the capacity, you could extend it. ).
  4. Building Blocks - For more intricate blocks, pillars, walls, more fancy blocks. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  5. Potions - You can merely store your potions here, and/or if you would prefer you could also store ingredients for making potions here. Maybe segregate each side for potions that help with bosses and one with basic enhancement potions. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  6. Mob Drops - This pillar would contain all mob drops and / or boss drops. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  7. Nature Based Drops - This pillar would be for containing various flowers, mushrooms, stars? etc... I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  8. Weapons & Ammo - This pillar would contain all your excess weapons, after playing for a couple of weeks a realized this deserves its own category. Too many weapons haha. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours. Maybe label the chest's for specific weapon types : Ranged, Magic etc...
  9. Tools - This pillar would contain all excess tools. It is not often that you find tools, or get one to drop. But if you are playing a world from start to finish, sucking it dry of content, you will surly go through a plethora of tools, weapons, gear sets. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours. Maybe label the chest for specific types : Pickaxe, Axe etc...
  10. Equipment & Accessories - This pillar would contain all of your excess equipment & accessories. I noticed you also get a lot of accessories and equipment throughout your journey, so I thought its only right that it gets its own pillar. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  11. Mechanics - This pillar would contain all of the different wiring, wrenches, traps etc... ( More things are available on the PC version, so a must have for PC Terrarians. ) This could have signs, I just decided not to label these chests.
  12. Fishing - This pillar would contain all of the excess fishing items : Fishing Rods?, fish, items. Completely up to you on what items are stored here. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  13. Dyes, Furniture, Statues & Banners - This pillar would contain all of these various items, I felt like this is needed since you strangely pick up a lot of furniture, banners & statues on your travels. Especially certain events. This can be altered in the way that it is layed out, that being the banners being actually placed rather than being stored in a chest.
  14. Armour - ( I am from the UK, different spelling ;) ) This pillar would feature an Armour stand for every Armour set in the game, ( Why put it in a chest, when you can put it on a mannequin and make your base look cool. )

K4NP7OY.png

kGfrYki.png

1. Fishing - This section would contain all of the excess fishing items : Fishing Rods?, fish, items. Completely up to you on what items are stored here. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  2. Equipment & Accessories - This section would contain all of your excess equipment & accessories. I noticed you also get a lot of accessories and equipment throughout your journey, so I thought its only right that it gets its own section. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  3. Weapons & Ammo - This section would contain all your excess weapons, after playing for a couple of weeks a realized this deserves its own category. Too many weapons haha. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours. Maybe label the chest's for specific weapon types : Ranged, Magic etc...
  4. Nature Based Drops - This section would be for containing various flowers, mushrooms, stars? etc... I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  5. Mob Drops - This section would contain all mob drops and / or boss drops. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  6. Ores & Bars - The signs that you can see say the corresponding ore & bar that should be in that chest ( This comes back to my point of lacking item frames, these would make it look much more organised, and more pleasing to look at. And again we lack some ores PC Terrarians have. )
  7. Armour - ( I am from the UK, different spelling ;) ) This section would feature an Armour stand for every Armour set in the game, ( Why put it in a chest, when you can put it on a mannequin and make your base look cool. )
  8. Mechanics - This section would contain all of the different wiring, wrenches, traps etc... ( More things are available on the PC version, so a must have for PC Terrarians. ) This could have signs, I just decided not to label these chests.
  9. Potions - You can merely store your potions here, and/or if you would prefer you could also store ingredients for making potions here. Maybe segregate each side for potions that help with bosses and one with basic enhancement potions. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  10. Tools - This section would contain all excess tools. It is not often that you find tools, or get one to drop. But if you are playing a world from start to finish, sucking it dry of content, you will surly go through a plethora of tools, weapons, gear sets. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours. Maybe label the chest for specific types : Pickaxe, Axe etc...
  11. Dyes, Furniture, Statues & Banners - This section would contain all of these various items, I felt like this is needed since you strangely pick up a lot of furniture, banners & statues on your travels. Especially certain events. This can be altered in the way that it is layed out, that being the banners being actually placed rather than being stored in a chest.
  12. Building Blocks - For more intricate blocks, pillars, walls, more fancy blocks. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  13. Blocks - For mundane blocks. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours, maybe label a stone chest since you get a mass amount while mining ( Also I made this design stackable, so if you was to ever reach the capacity, you could extend it. ).
  14. Crafting Stations - The signs that you can see say a corresponding crafting station that needs to be placed there, again I am on the Xbox One so we lack some crafting stations ( I think PC Terrarians have 2 more than we do? ) each of the crafting stations will fit, including the bottle for alchemy, and the bookshelf at the very bottom.

So, now you have seen and heard, this design is well organised, easily adapted, easily redesigned everything that is needed for an eager Terrarian ( Not adding the the fact that this mixes abit of the old school sandbox style, to the new quick stack method. ). And I suppose if you wanted to make life even easier you could hook up teleporters for each section for ease of access.

I know I went of on a tangent some times, I just wanted to get my point across and to let you know a little about me and why the design came to creation.

I really hope that you Terrarians can take inspiration from this build, and please post your results once finished I would love to see what you guys can come up with using this design. Also don't be afraid to point out issues or flaws, it wont hurt my feelings, your feedback is the reason I came to the forums, with the added bonus of everyone also seeing your criticism will help them develop their own design.

I typed this up in one go, so you may see spelling errors etc.. forgive me.

I would like to thank @Penguin90x for help with the category's.

This may never be read by a single soul, maybe get lost in the sea of posts. But for the people that may or may not find this, I truly hope this helps.

- Monkey :passionate:

EDIT: Added Vertical Storage Design.

Last edited:
Hey Terrarians,

I am new here, that being to the forums, and being fairly new to the game. So go easy on me for presentation and content. ;)

I would also like to iterate my apologies to the staff if this is posted in the incorrect location.

Ok, I am a seasoned Minecraft player, so the storage method within Terraria is abnormal to me, especially the quick stack feature.

As I have plundered my way through various forums and Youtube videos with the hopes of finding a storage design that fits ME, I have realised that not many people use the old fashioned method, alternatively they make a storage system that caters towards the quick stack mechanic, which is fine, but for me it looks ugly unless done with care, and even after that can still prove an issue at locating certain items, when the time comes.

So back to the point of finding something for ME, eventually I realized that I was not going to find what I was looking for so I began on a little project using my knowledge from other sandbox games, to develop a storage system that had the core component of ME.

I want to show everyone a simple, stackable mass storage concept.

I have tried too make it as mundane as possible, using very basic resources to show that it can be built without infinite platinum and a 24 hour mining session. This also means that this design can be altered drastically with either the layout or the blocks used, to look truly magnificent.

I must also iterate that I play Terraria on the Xbox One, so currently we lack certain items the PC Terrarians have. That being crafting stations, item frames, etc... which highly hinders my building ability especially since I wanted to label my ore chests etc... with the corresponding item frame. Fingers crossed for the 1.3 update to come out as soon as possible.

eA4fnf1.jpg
ydIYC2x.jpg
bmM6A9g.png

I will now give a brief description of each pillar :

1. Crafting Stations - The signs that you can see say a corresponding crafting station that needs to be placed there, again I am on the Xbox One so we lack some crafting stations ( I think PC Terrarians have 2 more than we do? ) each of the crafting stations will fit, including the bottle for alchemy, and the bookshelf at the very bottom.
  2. Ores & Bars - The signs that you can see say the corresponding ore & bar that should be in that chest ( This comes back to my point of lacking item frames, these would make it look much more organised, and more pleasing to look at. And again we lack some ores PC Terrarians have. )
  3. Blocks - For mundane blocks. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours, maybe label a stone chest since you get a mass amount while mining ( Also I made this design stackable, so if you was to ever reach the capacity, you could extend it. ).
  4. Building Blocks - For more intricate blocks, pillars, walls, more fancy blocks. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  5. Potions - You can merely store your potions here, and/or if you would prefer you could also store ingredients for making potions here. Maybe segregate each side for potions that help with bosses and one with basic enhancement potions. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  6. Mob Drops - This pillar would contain all mob drops and / or boss drops. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  7. Nature Based Drops - This pillar would be for containing various flowers, mushrooms, stars? etc... I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  8. Weapons & Ammo - This pillar would contain all your excess weapons, after playing for a couple of weeks a realized this deserves its own category. Too many weapons haha. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours. Maybe label the chest's for specific weapon types : Ranged, Magic etc...
  9. Tools - This pillar would contain all excess tools. It is not often that you find tools, or get one to drop. But if you are playing a world from start to finish, sucking it dry of content, you will surly go through a plethora of tools, weapons, gear sets. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours. Maybe label the chest for specific types : Pickaxe, Axe etc...
  10. Equipment & Accessories - This pillar would contain all of your excess equipment & accessories. I noticed you also get a lot of accessories and equipment throughout your journey, so I thought its only right that it gets its own pillar. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  11. Mechanics - This pillar would contain all of the different wiring, wrenches, traps etc... ( More things are available on the PC version, so a must have for PC Terrarians. ) This could have signs, I just decided not to label these chests.
  12. Fishing - This pillar would contain all of the excess fishing items : Fishing Rods?, fish, items. Completely up to you on what items are stored here. I decided not to label these chest's for obvious reasons, but don't take this as a DONT DO THIS sort of thing. Feel free to label yours.
  13. Dyes, Furniture, Statues & Banners - This pillar would contain all of these various items, I felt like this is needed since you strangely pick up a lot of furniture, banners & statues on your travels. Especially certain events. This can be altered in the way that it is layed out, that being the banners being actually placed rather than being stored in a chest.
  14. Armour - ( I am from the UK, different spelling ;) ) This pillar would feature an Armour stand for every Armour set in the game, ( Why put it in a chest, when you can put it on a mannequin and make your base look cool. )

So, now you have seen and heard, this design is well organised, easily adapted, easily redesigned everything that is needed for an eager Terrarian ( Not adding the the fact that this mixes abit of the old school sandbox style, to the new quick stack method. ). And I suppose if you wanted to make life even easier you could hook up teleporters for each pillar for ease of access.

I know I went of on a tangent some times, I just wanted to get my point across and to let you know a little about me and why the design came to creation.

I really hope that you Terrarians can take inspiration from this build, and please post your results once finished I would love to see what you guys can come up with using this design. Also don't be afraid to point out issues or flaws, it wont hurt my feelings, your feedback is the reason I came to the forums, with the added bonus of everyone also seeing your criticism will help them develop their own design.

I typed this up in one go, so you may see spelling errors etc.. forgive me.

I would like to thank @Penguin90x for help with the category's.

This may never be read by a single soul, maybe get lost in the sea of posts. But for the people that may or may not find this, I truly hope this helps.

- Monkey :passionate:

Hi @Monkey, welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing this detailed guide for how you like to organize your storage system. It's clean and well thought out. And it looks like you've got a lot of room to expand if needed, that's a big hole. ~:)

Hi @Monkey, welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing this detailed guide for how you like to organize your storage system. It's clean and well thought out. And it looks like you've got a lot of room to expand if needed, that's a big hole. ~:)

Hey @Unit One thank you for the warm welcome, I am glad you enjoy the design. I hope this will provide useful for other Terrarians at providing mass storage with the added benefit of it being well organised.

I really dig the design. I struggle with building storage for my play throughs and am always looking for new design ideas. I do like to use a sign above each chest as a visual indicator for the contents inside said chest. Only downside is that it takes up a lot of extra storage room. Really hoping they up the chest storage amounts some day (or in a future sequel).

I really dig the design. I struggle with building storage for my play throughs and am always looking for new design ideas. I do like to use a sign above each chest as a visual indicator for the contents inside said chest. Only downside is that it takes up a lot of extra storage room. Really hoping they up the chest storage amounts some day (or in a future sequel).

Thanks man, and yeah, like you said it is kinda bulky, I plan on making a vertical design in the future rather than a horizontal one. Maybe in the future I will try and make more compact versions, for people like yourself, because I know alot of people prefer more compact designs.

what about Announcement Box instead of regular signs with a pressure plate?

This is a viable method to an extent, currently console players like myself can not obtain this item.

PC terrarians on the other hand can, so I guess you guys could go right ahead.

I would love to see what PC Terrarians and Console Terrarians can come up with using this design, that being:
  • Visuals ( More vibrant block choices etc...)
  • Quality of life changes (signs, item frames, ease of access etc...)
and whatever else comes to mind.

I plan in the future to make more versions of this design in 1.2.4, and hopefully expand upon the idea even further once 1.3 roles out.

Thank you for your idea input!

- Monkey

Back
Top Bottom