Master Mode

The-Vecter

Skeletron Prime
I just hope master mode won't be similar to calamities deathmode.
I feel like deathmode is just hard for the sake of being hard. I haven't played it yet but I have seen videos about it.
My main issue with it is how you can't get hit to deal significant damage to bosses, and how much grinding calamity has in general.

Just as Expert seems to be finely tuned to stand up to multiplayer servers of 3~4 players, I expect Master is going to be tuned towards multiplayer servers of 5+ players.

No amount of Expert health scaling in the world can stand up to the might of ten people using optimized gear.

Just as Expert seems to be finely tuned to stand up to multiplayer servers of 3~4 players, I expect Master is going to be tuned towards multiplayer servers of 5+ players.

No amount of Expert health scaling in the world can stand up to the might of ten people using optimized gear.
What? There's no kind of "tuning" towards specific player counts in Expert, if anything it gets more difficult the more people are around with the ridiculous boss scaling.

I just hope it focuses more on new attack patterns rather than just buffing stats and making it something that nohitters have already completed.
Yes, PLEASE, something new. I don't quite know how I can fully express how ripped off I felt when essentially the only real significant changes were to the bosses, in both attacks AND drops.
Actually, even THEN, the bosses were changed at seemingly random. Queen Bee, the Mechs, and Golem seem to be literally the same, the Cultist has 0 Expert drops, and the Moon Lord's only change was making his strongest attack even stronger (without even making it move any differently, I think)????

Oh wait, the Granite Elemental can defend, I guess. C o o l.

Yes, PLEASE, something new. I don't quite know how I can fully express how ripped off I felt when essentially the only real significant changes were to the bosses, in both attacks AND drops.
Actually, even THEN, the bosses were buffed at seemingly random. Queen Bee, the Mechs, and Golem seem to be literally the same, and the Moon Lord's only change was making his strongest attack even stronger (without even making it move any differently, I think)????

Oh wait, the Granite Golem can defend, I guess. C o o l.
Spiked Slimes have a burst attack in all directions, lava slimes make lava fall when they die... Bats can inflict the most irritating debuff in the game... probably other stuff too, I'm fairly happy with expert mode, actually. Also granite golems can defend in normal mode iirc, they just die a lot faster so you're less likely to see it :p

Spiked Slimes have a burst attack in all directions, lava slimes make lava fall when they die... Bats can inflict the most irritating debuff in the game... probably other stuff too, I'm fairly happy with expert mode, actually.
Oh yeah, there's actually eight enemies with Expert Mode abilities. How'd I forget Longarm Zombies?
...That's still kind of low, though, for how many enemies are IN the game. I don't think any Event enemies are affected, either.

I’m honestly not really sure how I feel about the concept of Master mode, however I can’t fully judge until it’s actually released.

I got into terraria through playing in a world of 3 people, so my first full playthrough was in expert mode. Expert mode is fun once you start to get used to your world, but the beginning can be absolutely dreadful. It’s more that I’m worried about the extreme difficulty of master mode taking away from the fun of the game.

Last edited:
...the beginning can be absolutely be dreadful...
Escenceuuuuhh.png

*Flashbacks to extended periods of Longarm Zombie spawn-camping*

I’m honestly not really sure how I feel about the concept of Master mode, however I can’t fully judge until it’s actually released.

I got into terraria through playing in a world of 3 people, so my first full playthrough was in expert mode. Expert mode is fun once you start to get used to your world, but the beginning can be absolutely be dreadful. It’s more that I’m worried about the extreme difficulty of master mode taking away from the fun of the game.
I'm sure as long as I resort to my ultimate class (ranger/summoner) I won't have much trouble. Especially since they're buffing summoner so much in early game.

I really hope it's more than "enemies have 3x stats now, enjoy", because that's just boring.

As Bry-ccentric said they should mess with AI's more; the Mechs' patterns (mostly Retinazer and especially Prime) feel outdated, Golem is still an easy-to-farm joke, meanwhile Cultist is more like a gateway rather than an actual boss. Also new enemy attacks, Expert mode added a few but it feels like they ditched the idea very early on. How about some rare Armored Skeleton or Skeleton Archer variants that actually use the Beam Swords/Marrow they carry, or some new ninja moves for Bone Lee?

If they don't want to add extra loot that's fine, but at least make it feel like i'm not just playing Expert mode but with stronger enemies.

I really hope it's more than "enemies have 3x stats now, enjoy", because that's just boring.

As Bry-ccentric said they should mess with AI's more; the Mechs' patterns (mostly Retinazer and especially Prime) feel outdated, Golem is still an easy-to-farm joke, meanwhile Cultist is more like a gateway rather than an actual boss. Also new enemy attacks, Expert mode added a few but it feels like they ditched the idea very early on. How about some rare Armored Skeleton or Skeleton Archer variants that actually use the Beam Swords/Marrow they carry, or some new ninja moves for Bone Lee?

If they don't want to add extra loot that's fine, but at least make it feel like i'm not just playing Expert mode but with stronger enemies.
Oh god, if cultist got a massive buff so that he became one of the most intense bosses in the game I would love it so much. His attacks are cool right now, but so easy to dodge after a single victory.
I hope they give him elaborate and crazy spells to obliterate us with :D

How about some rare Armored Skeleton or Skeleton Archer variants that actually use the Beam Swords/Marrow they carry, or some new ninja moves for Bone Lee?
OOOOH, that reminds me of my Old-Gen Console suggestion where I did that with the Console-exclusive armor, and now I realize that Relogic could TOTALLY integrate some, if not ALL, of the Old-Gen Console content into Master. I've definitely made a case for it, anyways.

If you mean Ocram, then I think it's much better for the game if him and all of his content stays removed. There is currently nothing you can salvage about him: His design looks like something out of a JRPG that doesn't fit anywhere in Terraria, he literally copies EoC's AI with some lasers added, and his drops clash directly with Chlorophyte gear and armor (and Chloro armor already has the problem where it's technically good but you replace it instantly). You'd have to remake the entire thing all the way down to his design, and you might as well design a new boss at that point.

If you mean the Console variants for enemies, then I'd actually love that and it fits perfectly with my idea, they'd just need tweaking

Last edited:
If you mean Ocram, then I think it's much better for the game if him and all of his content stays removed. There is currently nothing you can salvage about him: His design looks like something out of a JRPG that doesn't fit anywhere Terraria, he literally copies EoC's AI, and his drops clash directly with Chlorophyte gear and armor (and Chloro armor already has the problem where it's technically good but you replace it instantly). You'd have to remake the entire thing all the way down to his design, and you might as well design a new boss at that point.

If you mean the Console variants for enemies, then I'd actually love that and it fits perfectly with my idea.
Yeah I was talking about pretty much everything─ESPECIALLY the exclusive enemy variants─though an omission of Ocram would be understandable.
I, uh, may or may not have actually proposed a completely new Ocram AI already. I don't know what to do with the design, though I feel like his clashiness could kinda work if he was exclusive to the hardest mode. Would need a makeover, though, as the spirte looks slightly dated?????

What? There's no kind of "tuning" towards specific player counts in Expert, if anything it gets more difficult the more people are around with the ridiculous boss scaling.
From my own personal experience, Expert multiplayer is extremely comfortable to play with a group of three or four players.

Boss scaling exists, but doesn't really ramp up to keep up with the player count "effectively" until somewhere around the ninth or tenth player adding another 100% to the boss's HP pool. Until then, yes, the bosses are gaining more HP, but your group is gaining far more firepower than they are HP.

E: Of course, this is all subjective. It's just my own personal opinion on the matter. I have my own reservations on Master mode but I'll save having an opinion on it until I'm able to sink my teeth into it. It's likely going to remain multiplayer-only for me.

Last edited:
To my knowledge expert gets easier with more people on the server, since a boss's health isn't increased by 100% for every player.
The values are much less than that and differ a lot per boss, based on the boss's difficulty. I don't have the numbers, but it can be googled.

So the more people there are, the easier it will be to take down a boss.

To give some insight into how Expert Mode scaling works:

Every new player beyond the first one (which means that if you're the only player on a Multiplayer server, the scaling is identical to Single Player) adds a certain value (I'll call this "per player scaling", or PPS) to the Expert Mode scalar. PPS starts at 0.35 per player and increases every time a new player joins, but with diminishing returns: the first "extra" player (so the second to join the server overal) has a PPS of 0.35, the second has a PPS of ~0.567, the third has a PPS ~0.711 and so on until the PPS starts approaching 1: the tenth new player has a PPS of ~0.975, so around that point you stop noticing a significant increase. This means that from approximately 10 players onward, every player adds 100% to the original health of a boss (so for example a boss has a base health of 1000, a new player would add approximately 1000 extra health).

However, there is also an additional dampening that kicks in once the total scaling (so that of all player combined) reaches 8 (which happens once 10+ players are present in a server), which can shave off up to a third off the total scaling (at 255 players present, which isn't exactly common), but at lower numbers (~15 players) is more sensibly in the range of one tenth. Total scaling also has a hard cap of 1000, but as far as I'm aware the highest scaling that can be achieved (on a full server without modifications) is 171, and you'd need 1496 players to actually reach the hard cap.

Whether or not Master Mode will follow the same scaling is well beyond me, but I just wanted to clear up some confusion about the current state of affairs. :)

I just hope Master Mode will at least be possible if you're going solo, Revengance and Death Mode plays dirty and cheap with singleplayer.

UPDATE: I tried out MasoMode too, and uh... I think it's beatable in theory.

Last edited:
Heh, I wonder if it will bring in the old Mud and Ash blocks falling when you dig a nearby block, or the cactus hurting on contact. Or make all enemies shot lasers on the player.

Back
Top Bottom