Game Mechanics Match maximum stack size for explosives

Ami

Terrarian
dynamite stack size 30
bomb stack size 99
grenade stack size 99
Beenade stack size (builds from grenade) 999

Specifically the grenade/beenade one. I use beenades for a portion of the game, and it feels a bit stilted to turn five stacks of grenades into one stack of beenades.

As for grenade/dynamite, I like using those to build mineshafts when I want to go down in a hurry, but I've found that the dynamites' tendency to take up real estate in the inventory is more of an argument to use bombs than the price difference.

Perhaps there's some kind of consideration behind these decisions that we're not appreciating, whatever the reason(s) for the different sizes may be they surely wouldn't matter by the time a player reaches the end game.

How about as an alternative to straight-up changing their base stack count the Demolitionist could sell a consumable item for upgrading them, unlocked after different bosses are defeated in that given world. Think of it like a Demon Heart, another consumable that's only available to a player that doesn't have the effect already. This would justify allowing 999 stacks of all explosives without harming any concerns the devs had when they set those stack limits for the early game.

Through the use of third party mods it has been proven that items can stack up to 9999 without a problem in vanilla game, even after said mod is removed and game cache is verified by Steam. I believe this compromise takes everything into consideration.

It's true there may be a reason that stack sizes are different, but I have a hard time seeing it. Dynamite costs were cut by 83% to make them more accessible, but as I only use them to make hellevators, it's a little awkward to take up a quarter of your inventory for an item that parallels bombs, which allow you to travel further and faster (shorter fuse time) with fewer inventory slots occupied and at a lower cost.

While demolitionist selling.. say.. "an explosives pouch", which allows you to stack more items would be a solution, it's a little unprecedented. Nothing else straight up increases stack sizes like that. I would buy it, but how would it be explained? What purpose would it serve? How much coding and aggravation would need to go into making something like this? Would it be equippable? What if you unequipped it after making your stacks? Would it be consumable? How does eating a potato allow you to carry 10x more bombs?

Personally I wouldn't mind if Terraria just raised the stack size of everything to 999, or heck, 9999. I don't feel like the limits really add anything to the game, aside from minor annoyance.

What purpose would it serve? How much coding and aggravation would need to go into making something like this? Would it be equippable? What if you unequipped it after making your stacks? Would it be consumable? How does eating a potato allow you to carry 10x more bombs?
Through the use of third party mods it has been proven that items can stack up to 9999 without a problem in vanilla game, even after said mod is removed and game cache is verified by Steam. I believe this compromise takes everything into consideration.
So what I typed is a thing, also I don't believe we've ever had an explanation given for the Demon Heart. Does the Character eat it? How does consuming it give you extra accessory space? Why can we only ever use one? Why would we ever need an explanation behind items now as opposed to before?

I don't have anything against you or you voicing your opinions but please present some valid points if you don't fully support this. I'm sorry but I can't help but feel you're trying to advocate debates using fallacies as the premise, which I'm completely against. The way over stacked items work is that you can't re-stack them to the values they were if your character is currently restricted, so there are fewer issues there than you might think.

This is Terraria, so please keep discussions constructive.

an explanation given for the Demon Heart
A sixth accessory slot is deemed necessary by the developers for the players to face expert HM, and only that.

Here more numbers for a stack of explosives is simply convenience. Rather than something like a demon heart, just increase the stack and be done with it. The only real barrier to a :red:load of bombs is money, which is very easy to get. Only deterrent to holding lots of it, is, as we are discussing, the stack limit.

This is Terraria, so please keep discussions constructive.
She might be confused about a few things, but her reply was not exactly deconstructive. She wants a simpler solution to stack size problem. Like how when we move from 250 to 999 for common materials and blocks. No one needed to eat AllBlock or some such nonsense just to hold more blocks, did they? The same thing for explosive stack isn't too much to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azu
numbers for a stack of explosives is simply convenience
I believe it's not quite that straight forward, and it would appear that the devs thought that too as evident from the fact it's at the number it is currently.
Explosives have a game impact in both mining time and damage dealt, this damage being a type that isn't reduced by defence so it's understandable that they should have lower carrying limits initially. As such they also carry a lot more intrinsic value than their counterparts of other things found in chests or sold by NPCs at the stage you gain accessory to them.

These factors are why if they were to change it'd be at a point where their usefulness has diminish to the player and they're no longer as willing to toss out hundreds of explosives, but at that stage the change in stacking probably wouldn't matter to many. There is a degree of sense to retaining the status quoter and making a change to them should consider the implications it might have on pacing a new play throughs or fist time players. Games are a form of expression, a media that wants to convey an experience of something in certain ways, like mining and fending for yourself with limited mobility, taking in surroundings.

The best implementation I can think of is to have each Life Fruit granting increased stacks of miscellaneous items in addiction to their health buff. Power fantasies shouldn't hugely affect game play at that point and likely cause little quarrel with this change, though if you have something to dispute with that feel free to share.

Back
Top Bottom