Mechanic playthrough

Gaelon

Official Terrarian
I'm starting a vanilla playthrough as the Mechanic, where my only weapons are traps and the Combat Wrench. If anyone is willing, I'd love suggestions on trap-centered arenas, and if anyone knows of a good vanity setup that looks as much like the Mechanic as possible, that'd be welcome, too. I'll be posting updates here, and if I record it, and I can insert the videos, I'll put them here, too. Tell me your ideas!

This was actually an idea I had myself... 😅 💁‍♂️

...I'll likely never get around to doing it, but I figured I'd give you some of the mental notes I had about mine [since I can't find my old ones anyway].
  • Miners Set [+Helmet] will pretty much due for Vanity, but I think you can easily swap it and the Plumbers Set around.
  • Toolbelt Accessory, because of course...
  • Some good [device themed] Weapons would be Landmines, Bombs, Dirt Bombs [themed Bombs], all the usual Jungle Temple Traps, obviously any pre-Hardmode Dart Traps, I think Geysers should work well, but I could never find any prior to 1.4 [so I have no experience with 'em].
  • For aesthetics, I'd say buy up a LOT of Yellow and White Team Block, so you can make most dangerous areas have "construction barricades".
20200510150909_1_a.jpg

• I know that Tin and Copper are good candidates for "construction Barricades" too, but I'm not sure which is the easiest to obtain first, to get started almost right away?? 🤔🍵

This was actually an idea I had myself... 😅 💁‍♂️

...I'll likely never get around to doing it, but I figured I'd give you some of the mental notes I had about mine [since I can't find my old ones anyway].
Thank you! Perfect! I didn't quote the whole list, but I'll respond to the whole list.
1) I tried to find something good, but only found the Plumber's Set. I haven't tried the Mining Set. I'm using Familiar Hair, with the best hairdo I found, so no visible helmets.
2) All building and wiring accessories and tools. I've got the Gizmo Pack, The Plan, and wire path separators.
3) If it can be set off by wiring, or placed and stepped on, it counts. If I have to use it directly, like a weapon, it doesn't count. Bombs don't, but Explosives, cannons and Explosive Bunnies do. Bombs still work for mining, though.
4-5) As for aesthetics, most of it will be "make it work now, make it look good later". I like having it look good, but it has to be practical first. And I'm lazy. As for what I can get, between the amount of wire I'll need and the fact that many things only generate one type per world, or are more rare than is feasible, I'm using Builder's Workshop. My rules are, roughly, "if it's for building or wiring, and I'm progressed far enough to get it, (i.e., Demolitionist moved in for dynamite, Picksaw acquired for Temple traps, etc.) I can get it from the Workshop." That'll need refining, but it's a good start. What'cha think?

@Gaelon sounds good to me! The thing about custom playthroughs, is that you learn quite a bit by doing it, you'll almost never be completely prepared or be able to think of everything. So long as you have the essentials, you should do fine. I'm actually diggin' the "make it work first, make it look good later" mind-set, that's probably the part I would've fallen short... 😅 💁‍♂️

Here's a very rough picture of my main base. Don't mind inconsistencies, it's four screenshots glued together. View attachment pixlr_20220616155735796.jpg I have teleporters to most of my pylons and a few other places, a light switch and auto-shutoff for the lights when you leave through the automatic actuator door. And also heart/star statues on a switch and timer. This is the kind of setup, if not exactly the same, that I plan to set up in each biome in the Mechanic's world.

Here's a very rough picture of my main base. Don't mind inconsistencies, it's four screenshots glued together.
Just so you're aware, Photo Mode allows you to take snapshots of larger images that might trail-off the screen. In other words, you can take snapshots of an entire grand structure, keeping its quality in-tact! 😁 🧰

Example:

beacon_of_fate_2020.jpg

Well I made a pretty easy WoF killer- basically 100 Boulder traps on a long run way hooked up to a 15 second timer. Pretty easy to make with like a dart trap and a 5 second timer. The only thing is I made it on a drunk world which has the big lava lake in it. This made the position of the eyes stay pretty consistent for the whole fight- for a normal world quite a bit of terraforming might be needed

Two things:
  1. Mobile Terraria looks good! I had no idea it was that much different from the PC version [wow]!
  2. The "title cards" are far too short-lived to read, I kept having to pause the video [six to 8 seconds is a good amount of time for title cards/ subtitles].

Two things:
  1. Mobile Terraria looks good! I had no idea it was that much different from the PC version [wow]!
  2. The "title cards" are far too short-lived to read, I kept having to pause the video [six to 8 seconds is a good amount of time for title cards/ subtitles].
Yeah, they were my biggest worries. Most of them were about 2-4 seconds, but the title ones were too long for that.

I've  finally begun work on the second episode. It's almost 6 hours long, though. It'll take me a while.

Something necessary has come up which means not only do I not have space for the recordings, but I won't even have space for Terraria itself, which is saddening. I won't be able to continue this series, or even finish the playthrough, and for a while at least, I'll be to busy to be on the forums, too. I'm sorry to those looking forward to this, but the setup is still there if you want to try it yourself. It's quite fun, and killing the EoW with a stack of darts isn't unsatisfying. I'm sad to leave behind perhaps the best video game ever, but necessity requires it for now. Goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom