Game Mechanics Mediumcore players dropping boss-like bags instead of a whole inventory

<Pipemax32>

Terrarian
If you played mediumcore, you know what i mean, you die once and you have to go and 1-grab everything, which could be hard if you grabbed more than 5 items to survive, and 2- sorting your inventory afterwards.

If a bag was added, that dropped when you die, you would right click it and everything would drop (maybe remember the order they were in so its less of a hassle)

Medium-core needs a complete rework. It's completely outdated as is. Personally I'd severely lower the % of inventory that is dropped, perhaps limiting it to non-equipment items.

Agreed - by the time a player reaches hardmode in their world, enemies will have the ability to oneshot a Mediumcore player who just died and is trying to retrieve their items.
Even worse, the accessories which give the player utility, such as the bare necessity that is Hermes Boots or variants, are also lost. The player character had might as well have been a Hardcore, because everything becomes capable of hitting for immense damage, some even capable of oneshots.

+1

If I could put in my own suggestion for it though, I’d say to probably make it so that ammo, equipment, and items in the hotbar are all kept through death, but the rest is lost.

Last edited:
also make it so items automatically return to where they were in your inventory
it is extremely annoying to move your pets, hooks and other equipment to where they were
maybe make some "shadow spots"(autlines/transparent versions of dropped items) which would be placeholders for droppe items

I like the idea, but I feel like the ability to put all of your inventory into a bag could be seriously abused.

How about instead of having to right click to open the bag, it auto opens once the player picks it up. So people can’t transport these bags around

Remembering what items were in which slot before dying and making items return to that slot is sensible and something that I've supported for a long time.
The loot bag idea, while sounding good, would be (a) a lot of work to implement, since the entire contents of the inventory would have to be saved in a single item, which is a mechanic that simply doesn't exist currently, and (b) incredibly abusable for compact item storage – just take all the stuff you want to put into one bag and kill yourself at your base.

The other ideas people have made in this thread – that mediumcore characters only drop part of their inventory upon death – I am strongly against. If you think Mediumcore is too difficult, you might want to start keeping chests of backup equipment around your base. If you do it right, you're almost as strong after death as you were before. If that's still too much, play softcore. Mediumcore is all about the difficulty of making sure you can get your stuff back when you die – that's literally the only difference between Softcore and Mediumcore. Those of you comparing Mediumcore to Hardcore should maybe get a bit more experience with both, since (a) Mediumcore allows you to keep your character upgrades upon death and (b) Hardcore would require you to leave the world to get a new character, which deletes all that stuff you dropped.

If you want something that's like Mediumcore, but you only lose the stuff that wasn't important anyways, there could be a separate difficulty ("marginally-less-softcore"), but until then, why not play Softcore and drop all of that stuff manually when you die?

Honestly, my experiences with Mediumcore have been a lot of fun. If you plan ahead properly and have a bit of skill, a Mediumcore corpse run can be an adrenaline-filled few minutes of awesome.

Back
Top Bottom