NPCs & Enemies Medusas are cheap :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battle Bee

Terrarian
(...Well, that's an interesting title.)

I don't know the plural of Medusa, so I'm going to go with Medusas.

I have died to off-screen Medusas stoning me and causing me to fall to my death thrice, now. They are probably one of the cheapest, if not THE cheapest, enemies in the entire game. If one of them gets you, you're probably going to die by fall damage, lava or nearby enemies, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Probably the biggest problems are their range, and how fast they can stone you. They seem to be able to get you from 2 screens' worth of distance, and you only have about one second to save yourself. This, as I've stated before, has caused many unfair deaths from something I can't fight against.

This could be fixed by allowing you to fly, grapple and move very slowly while Stoned, making you take less damage (You've turned solid into hard rock! Why should you take more damage?), or SEVERELY reducing the range of Medusas.

Not actually related to the suggestion; the line of sight mechanic doesn't seem to work half the time. Sometimes, you might get Stoned even if you are not looking at her or if there are, like, 20 blocks between her and you.

Last edited:
I think the best way to combat it is a Blindfold accessory. It makes you immune to the stone effect... but reducing your visibility by a bit. Overall, that should have been existant if they added the Medusa enemy. Another solution is that you have to summon the Medusa, instead of it randomly spawning. That way, you at least don't have the problem in the first place until you summon it!

(...Well, that's an interesting title.)

I don't know the plural of Medusa, so I'm going to go with Medusas.

I have died to off-screen Medusas stoning me and causing me to fall to my death thrice, now. They are probably one of the cheapest, if not THE cheapest, enemies in the entire game. If one of them gets you, you're probably going to die by fall damage, lava or nearby enemies, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Probably the biggest problems are their range, and how fast they can stone you. They seem to be able to get you from 2 screens' worth of distance, and you only have about one second to save yourself. This, as I've stated before, has caused many unfair deaths from something I can't fight against.

This could be fixed by allowing you to fly, grapple and move very slowly while Stoned, making you take less damage (You've turned solid into hard rock! Why should you take more damage?), or SEVERELY reducing the range of Medusas.

Not actually related to the suggestion; the line of sight mechanic doesn't seem to work half the time. Sometimes, you might get Stoned even if you are not looking at her or if there are, like, 20 blocks between her and you.

The only way I've seemingly avoided the brunt of Medusa's effects are as playing as a summoner, then it essentially becomes a slow.
But really, was Medusa even necessary? The head isn't unique at all, just a short-range burst, and the mob can only kill you by environmental hazards (traps, other mobs, lava)
Stoning should only happen to pre-Molten armors (Demonite, Gold/Platinum, Silver/Tungsten/ Lead/Iron, Tin/Copper.)

Yeah, it's pretty :red:ing broken, either way, I think the range should just be significantly reduced, since it's not like you can really have eye contact with someone who's standing 100ft away.

I think the best way to combat it is a Blindfold accessory. It makes you immune to the stone effect... but reducing your visibility by a bit. Overall, that should have been existant if they added the Medusa enemy. Another solution is that you have to summon the Medusa, instead of it randomly spawning. That way, you at least don't have the problem in the first place until you summon it!
It could be combined with the other accessories to make the ankh charm.
Guys, we already have a blindfold accessory that's used to make the Ankh charm:
Blindfold.png

Anyway, I think Medusa shouldn't be able to stone you unless you (the player) can see it, meaning it has to be on screen and lit up by some kind of light source in order to freeze you.

Died to Medusae 2 more times.
One of them while I was going down a Hellevator.

This is starting to get comical, I've died to being Stoned and falling to my death more than I've died to anything else in this playthrough.

Yeah, medusae are incredibly cheap. An undodgeable attack that leads to almost certain death and can be cast by an enemy that isn't even on your screen yet? What could go wrong?

Definitely needs a fix. Though I don't think a range adjustment would be adequate as the only change, since it would still favor players who have a higher screen resolution or bigger monitor. There are some other ideas that would certainly help though:
  1. Give her a loud and very distinct growl when she spawns, and a different sound when she's spotted a player. This lets you know she's lurking, and when you're directly in danger.
  2. Have her stare work like the Arch-vile's magic in Doom 2. It "locks on" to the player, surrounding them with a highly noticeable graphical effect for a few seconds, and -then- does its work if the player is still in line of sight and hasn't stunned the monster to interrupt it.
  3. Alternatively, give her line of sight an actual drawn line, like what some FPS games do with their sniper enemies. It follows you for a while, then locks in place for a brief moment before "firing" the curse, giving you a chance to dodge it or at least grapple onto something.

Yeah, medusae are incredibly cheap. An undodgeable attack that leads to almost certain death and can be cast by an enemy that isn't even on your screen yet? What could go wrong?

Definitely needs a fix. Though I don't think a range adjustment would be adequate as the only change, since it would still favor players who have a higher screen resolution or bigger monitor. There are some other ideas that would certainly help though:
  1. Give her a loud and very distinct growl when she spawns, and a different sound when she's spotted a player. This lets you know she's lurking, and when you're directly in danger.
  2. Have her stare work like the Arch-vile's magic in Doom 2. It "locks on" to the player, surrounding them with a highly noticeable graphical effect for a few seconds, and -then- does its work if the player is still in line of sight and hasn't stunned the monster to interrupt it.
  3. Alternatively, give her line of sight an actual drawn line, like what some FPS games do with their sniper enemies. It follows you for a while, then locks in place for a brief moment before "firing" the curse, giving you a chance to dodge it or at least grapple onto something.
I think a range down, a visual notification and at least a 3-second timer would fix the problem for good.
It's still bull:red: that you can get insta-killed in the endgame because of an early-game enemy, but at least you would have a chance to react to it.

It's sorta funny to be zooming around on a minecart, and then to randomly fall and plummet into lava. For only like one time. These things definitely need a nerf, though. Mainly the fact that they hit through blocks. If they changed it to just be like the Medusa's head so that blocks in the way interrupt it, that would be amazing.

I must be the only one that thinks they're fine. They're damn annoying, but I've already had enough experience to be able to deal with them effectively.

The first time I got petrified I didn't even know about Medusas, I just randomly turned to a rock for a moment. The second time Medusa killed me when I was petrified. That was the time I learnt what caused the random debuff. What if sunglasses block the effect? That would be cool. Turning away from the enemy to prevent getting petrified would be great aswell.

Needs less range, that's all, though. I got frozen mid-fall and got 700+ fall damage and lost a LOT of platinum from a Medusa I couldn't even see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom