Blocks & Decoration Mega Mortar

Flor3nce2456

Queen Bee
So I originally had a completely different idea for this suggestion, but doing a bit more thinking, I realized the original suggestion had some serious flaws.

The original suggestion was a giant artillery cannon that launched high-explosive and possibly nuclear shells across maps. This was meant to make PvP multi-player more interesting. Then I realized it would be effectively useless in single-player, which would have been very very bad. I had already made the sprite, however, and didn't want to scrap it, so I thought and thought and though and in the end, re-thought the whole thing. You see, I realized that such a weapon would have been very very impersonal. I mean, anyone can launch ICBMs at their opponents.

It takes a special kind of person, the one who cares genuinely enough about their opponent to assemble a real, personalized care package consisting of a crazed madman armed to the teeth riding in a flying, exploding mine cart.
Yes, I brought back the famed "mine cart glitch" in non-bug form!

Mortar.png

Mega Mortar
Place-able (7 wide x 8 tall)
The leftmost 5 tiles of the furniture piece must be on blocks.​
Requires a Drax or Pickaxe Axe or better to mine.
Takes about 40 hits to mine.​
Has a Substantial blind-spot.
Faces away from the player.
Crafting:
Cannon.png
1 Cannon
Dynamite.png
10 Dynamite
Iron_Bar.png
/
Lead_Bar.png
80 Iron/Lead Bars
Minecart_Track.png
30 Tracks
Booster_Track.png
10 Booster Tracks
Fallen_Star.png
10 Fallen Stars
Meteorite_Bar.png
5 Meteorite Bars
Hallowed_Bar.png
45 Hallowed Bars
Soul_of_Might.png
12 Souls of Might

Functionality: Players must already be riding in a mine cart to load themselves into the cannon. Loading from the front above is recommended. Upon loading, the player's map is shown. Here, they may select their "target", where they want the cannon to fire them to. Then, a hissing "fuse" sound plays for 10 seconds, followed by 2-3 seconds of silence. The player is then violently fired from the cannon, coupled with copious flame and cloud particles, instantly killing any slimes or zombies that were on the same screen as the cannon. If the player would otherwise leave the top of the world (i.e. beyond space), extra "space" is drawn around the player such that they do not experience the awkwardness of sliding around on the roof of the world.
During all this, the player is still riding the mine cart. It is not until after 15/16ths of their flight that players may dismount from the mine cart. Even when they do dismount, the mine-cart continues to fly along the original arc until it impacts a solid block, exploding with the radius of explosives but only destroying a bomb's worth of blocks.
You see, the mine cart isn't the payload that does the damage. It's the mentally insane player in full beetle armor wielding an Unreal Rocket Launcher and Rocket IVs that's the payload here. :dryadnaughty:

The 10 seconds is to mask loading times, with the last 2-3 to mask rendering time. Also it builds suspense, which is a nice bonus. :p

Additionally, the mortar's inventory sprite appear on the map for EVERYONE much the same way the NPCs do. It's sprite will face the direction it is actually facing off-map.

The blind spot mentioned is about 100-200 blocks from the front of the cannon where it is facing, and ALL the blocks behind it.

Anyhow, I think that's it!
If this thread was done anywhere else on the forum, it isn't in an easy place to find!
I might try to make a better sprite, but I kinda like the one I have right now, so I don't think I'm getting rid of it anytime soon. Anyone's welcome to make their own, though.
I will make an inventory version coupled with a support banner later.

Constructive feedback is welcome!

Last edited:
This is amazing.
Make a flat map of Lihzard brick, put this behind an automated Dart Machine Gun, and launch people when the opponents are far away and activate the Dart Machine Gun when they get too close.

GENIUS!

Looks interesting. I would love a version for fancy transport too, without all the explosions (and damage) in the end.

I like the idea! And i have feeling that when i use this it will be screaming "For Narnia" every time at 6:30 in the morning :p(yes i know cannons had nothing to do with Narnia but i love saying that :p)

I just realized there is a slight chance that Unreal Rocket Launchers might not actually exist...
Indeed. For some reason Red decided to mock rocket launcher likers like me by capping it to Godly. :(

Anyway, that's not important. I like the idea, if only because I think it's an excellent way to travel across the map. :D
4stars.gif

I made a nice evil laugh while reading this post.

This is a brilliant idea. I want it. NOW.

Also, screw Rocket Launcher's, I'm riding in with True Night's Edge swinging (or Blizzard Staff raining (or Scourge throwing (or Razorblades flying (or Magnet Spheres drifting (or... you get the point))))). Or maybe a Snowman Cannon. That's actually probably better- if you're firing at mobs you're a lot more likely to hit, and even if you aren't, haha my explosions don't hurt me.

It should be also able to shoot Cannonballs. It would either be able to shoot 33 of them at once, or would shoot a single, massive one.

Well, all I have to say is:
MORTAR KOMBAT!!!
Lame puns aside, I'm lovin' the idea of launching myself into high altitudes. I will feel like the projectile of the Clash of Clans Mortar!

Back
Top Bottom