NPCs & Enemies Merchant Merchandise - Improvements and Changes

View attachment 29544
Hey, @Brutallama, I was glancing through your armor sets again, and it occurred to me that these sprites would be perfect for the Duralium equipment in the main post. It's super weird, because Duralium is supposed to be an upgrade for Steel equipment, and this sprite set is called "Druasteel..." :confused: Mind-boggling, right? Heck, that armor even looks kind of like spruced-up nicely polished Steel armor:
steel-armor-png.135388
View attachment 29545
This is totally weird and I totally want to use those sprites.
They really do look similar
index.php

View attachment 29544
Hey, @Brutallama, I was glancing through your armor sets again, and it occurred to me that these sprites would be perfect for the Duralium equipment in the main post. It's super weird, because Duralium is supposed to be an upgrade for Steel equipment, and this sprite set is called "Druasteel..." :confused: Mind-boggling, right? Heck, that armor even looks kind of like spruced-up nicely polished Steel armor:
steel-armor-png.135388
View attachment 29545
This is totally weird and I totally want to use those sprites.
If you'd like to use it, go ahead :happy: and you're right... they do look strikingly similar :p

Steel armor looks magnificent! I don't care about all the other stuff, this gains my support just for that armor!

Most of the stuff here sounds nice, but I don't know about the Steel and Duralium stuff.
Now, as @Lecic said, the Steel stuff would be nice in MP so you don't have to grind as much to get the equipment for everyone, but to me, it just seems like giving the Merchant a whole new set of equipment is just... too much. Besides, it'll fill up eight slots in the merch's inventory (unless I overlooked something), and something that's more powerful than Platinum costing less than silver also seems a bit off-balance. Now, of course, if it's so expensive that when farming bosses for the money to buy it, you actually get enough resources to craft Shadow/Crimson armor, it wouldn't really work either, so I'm a bit out of ideas there. Also, Steel is actually just modified Iron, so it wouldn't be logical for it to be that much better, but I know, Terraria logic.
Still, to get back to the issue at hand: I don't think the Steel equipment really fits Terraria. I don't have a logical or rational reason for it, it's just a feeling. Similarly with the Duralium equipement, another whole equipment set just doesn't seem right. Also, there's no aluminium in the whole world of Terraria, but after murdering the Keeper of the Underworld and releasing ancient spirits, the Merchant suddenly has access to Duralium equipment.
Next up, this would pose a sort of balance issue IMO: Up until now, use you activate Hardmode, you quickly go to the Corruption/Crimson to smash some altars ang get mining so that you can be prepared before the biomes spread too much. This way, you could pile some money beforehand, and once you enable hardmode, you immediately get a shiny new set of armor that may or may not be better in different aspects, but gives you a 10% movement speed bonus, which will probably make it somewhat easier to survive in early HM, as you'll be able to smash a bunch of altars faster than the Wraiths can come, all in all reducing the challenge of the first few minutes of Hardmode.
I might have been exaggerating a bit here, but to me, the Steel and Duralium don't quite fit, don't quite make sense and aren't quite balanced. Don't ask me how to balance them though, as I can't really work on something that doesn't seem to have a place where it is.

Also, sorry for the Wall of Text. I tend to get carried away when criticising something.

Besides, it'll fill up eight slots in the merch's inventory (unless I overlooked something), and something that's more powerful than Platinum costing less than silver also seems a bit off-balance.
You did miss something.
Iron_Broadsword.png
Tin_Pickaxe.png
Lead_Hammer.png

Randomized equipment
[...]
Each day, the Merchant will sell not just a Pickaxe and an Axe, but instead offer a random selection of a Bow, Broadsword, Pickaxe, Axe, and Hammer, selling any three of those items.
[...]
He would also have a 10% chance each day to sell a full set of armor instead of tools and weapons.
Taking the Steel/Duralium route would require making a sacrifice to the deities of RNG, and only 3 slots would be occupied at any given time.
Also, there's no aluminium in the whole world of Terraria, but after murdering the Keeper of the Underworld and releasing ancient spirits, the Merchant suddenly has access to Duralium equipment.
"Terraria logic."
Next up, this would pose a sort of balance issue IMO: Up until now, use you activate Hardmode, you quickly go to the Corruption/Crimson to smash some altars ang get mining so that you can be prepared before the biomes spread too much. This way, you could pile some money beforehand, and once you enable hardmode, you immediately get a shiny new set of armor that may or may not be better in different aspects, but gives you a 10% movement speed bonus, which will probably make it somewhat easier to survive in early HM, as you'll be able to smash a bunch of altars faster than the Wraiths can come, all in all reducing the challenge of the first few minutes of Hardmode.
I have never heard anyone say that +any% movement speed was in any way OP. >_>
I might have been exaggerating a bit here, but to me, the Steel and Duralium don't quite fit, don't quite make sense and aren't quite balanced. Don't ask me how to balance them though, as I can't really work on something that doesn't seem to have a place where it is.
They're more powerful than the precedent tier but not quite as powerful as the successive equipment. What's off about the balance?

You did miss something.

Taking the Steel/Duralium route would require making a sacrifice to the deities of RNG, and only 3 slots would be occupied at any given time.
Oh. I somehow assumed Steel and Duralium would always be available in full, since they're under seperate headings. Also, there's this:
(The Merchant would always sell Steel, since there isn't a true tier upgrade.)
Which may suggest that it's always sold in full.
I have never heard anyone say that +any% movement speed was in any way OP. >_>
I know. I didn't say it was OP in any way. I just said that it'd make the beginning of Hardmode easier, thus taking part of the thrill out of what I remember one of the most awesome parts of the game when 1.1 first hit.
And it just doesn't seem right that after enabling Hardmode, we suddenly get a whole new set of equipment out of thin air. I mean, single items, consumables, stuff like that being sold after beating a boss sounds alright, but a whole set of equipment... just seems wrong.
They're more powerful than the precedent tier but not quite as powerful as the successive equipment. What's off about the balance?
The first thing, as I said, is that Steel is less expensive than Platinum while being stronger than that (I just compared the Bow prices right now, but a Platinum Bow would have to cost 1g5s if I'm not mistaken, so a Steel Bow for 28s seems a little cheap).
The Duralium Armor seems to have a somewhat high defense, as it gives a total of 24 defense, whereas Cobalt Armor has an average defense (mean of all three possible sets) of about 20.67, which is significantly less than that. This way, Duralium is closer to Palladium Armor, which has an average defense of about 25.33, than it is to Cobalt. Now, I realize that Duralium gives not as high a damage bonus as the Cobalt Ranged and Melee sets, but it still seems to be on about he same level as Cobalt, rather than half a tier below it.

Wait. Now I'm helping you balance Steel and Duralium, even though I actually feel like they don't quite fit at all. You tricked me. Congratulations.

Also, there's this:
[...]
Which may suggest that it's always sold in full.
The three pieces of equipment would invariably be Steel, as opposed to Tin sometimes being Iron or Iron occasionally being Lead.
I know. I didn't say it was OP in any way. I just said that it'd make the beginning of Hardmode easier, thus taking part of the thrill out of what I remember one of the most awesome parts of the game when 1.1 first hit.
Cobalt Greaves grant a +10% movement speed bonus, too, though.
The first thing, as I said, is that Steel is less expensive than Platinum while being stronger than that (I just compared the Bow prices right now, but a Platinum Bow would have to cost 1g5s if I'm not mistaken, so a Steel Bow for 28s seems a little cheap).
I'll buff up the value of Silver equipment to that of Gold, if it makes you feel better.
The Duralium Armor seems to have a somewhat high defense, as it gives a total of 24 defense, whereas Cobalt Armor has an average defense (mean of all three possible sets) of about 20.67, which is significantly less than that.
It has to be stronger than Molten armor to be worthwhile. Mages and Rangers will sometimes even use Molten just because of its defense rating. Plus, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if Duralium ended up being weaker than Steel armor, would it?
And it just doesn't seem right that after enabling Hardmode, we suddenly get a whole new set of equipment out of thin air. I mean, single items, consumables, stuff like that being sold after beating a boss sounds alright, but a whole set of equipment... just seems wrong.
Maybe the problem is that Molten armor is actually a half-tier below Cobalt in power instead of a whole tier. Seriously, that thing has 25 Defense, and +17% in bonuses. Compared to Duralium's 24 Defense and +22% net bonuses, and the Cobalt Helmet set's 26 Defense and +32% bonuses, it actually appears that Duralium is a 1/4 tier above/below its neighbors.
Wait. Now I'm helping you balance Steel and Duralium, even though I actually feel like they don't quite fit at all. You tricked me. Congratulations.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cobalt Greaves grant a +10% movement speed bonus, too, though.
But you can only get Cobalt Equipment after doing the whole smashing altars thing. Wait, nevermind, now that there's fishing, you can just pile crates and open them in Hardmode. Disregard this.
It has to be stronger than Molten armor to be worthwhile. Mages and Rangers will sometimes even use Molten just because of its defense rating. Plus, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if Duralium ended up being weaker than Steel armor, would it?
Maybe the problem is that Molten armor is actually a half-tier below Cobalt in power instead of a whole tier. Seriously, that thing has 25 Defense, and +17% in bonuses. Compared to Duralium's 24 Defense and +22% net bonuses, and the Cobalt Helmet set's 26 Defense and +32% bonuses, it actually appears that Duralium is a 1/4 tier above/below its neighbors.
Problem here being that I see Molten Armor, Necro Armor and Jungle Armor as the same tier, and that tier has an average defense of ~18.67, which means that Duralium would have to have about 20 defense, which would still be more than Shadow/Crimson, and with its boni, it's justifiable compared to Platinum. If it's supposed to be class-neutral, it has to have a little less defense, since Rangers and Mages can use the increased damage too.

Problem here being that I see Molten Armor, Necro Armor and Jungle Armor as the same tier, and that tier has an average defense of ~18.67, which means that Duralium would have to have about 20 defense, which would still be more than Shadow/Crimson, and with its boni, it's justifiable compared to Platinum. If it's supposed to be class-neutral, it has to have a little less defense, since Rangers and Mages can use the increased damage too.

isn't shadow/crimson in the same tier as jungle/necro? I thought Molten was in some weird place in between tiers.

isn't shadow/crimson in the same tier as jungle/necro? I thought Molten was in some weird place in between tiers.
Well, I'd say that Shadow/Crimson is one tier, and while Shadow does give a slight melee bonus, Crimson gives all-round boni, so I wouldn't count it as the same tier as Necro and Jungle, since those give specific boni to Ranged and Magic, respectively, and since they need a Melee counterpart, I count them as the same tier as Molten. Though Molten is probably a bit stronger.

This doesn't look too much like demonite does it?
Nightmare_Armor.png

Anyway I've recolered it and changed the strite a very tiny bit. I was wondering if you'd allow me to use it in my mod?

when it comes to the "perfectly ventilated armour" quote, i always thought of it as referencing the emperors new clothes, says he has something, but doesn't
anyway i hope the merchant will become more useful then he currently is, one day...

Sounds like a good idea, a lot better than "that one guy who hangs around and gives you money for your massive heaps of vendor trash ".

One thing I could add is maybe some odd items here and there that he would sell once in a very long time, like on full moons, or similar to the Travelling Merchant.
I don't have any specific ideas though.
Very, very true. I sell all my junk, especially angel statues ;) to the merchant. And to the OP, I really like the idea of the merchant selling bottles. Farming the antillion mandibles take forever, and then I can't have a sand gun, so no unlimited sand without a new world.

Back
Top Bottom