Game Mechanics Merge thrower weapons with melee instead of ranged.

qwerty3.14

Terrarian
This is something I've had on my mind for quite a while. In case you haven't heard thrower weapons are going to be merged with the ranger class in 1.4. I Generally feel it would make more sense to put them in the melee class. There are a lot of reasons I feel this way.

A big one is that there are already a lot of melee weapons that the player visibly throws. Like shadowflame knife, vampire knives, scourge of the corrupter, Daybreak, boomerangs... etc. The bone javelins are even bugged to where its projectiles are considered melee projectiles. I have also played mods that tried to 'expand' the thrower class by turning some melee weapons into thrower weapons, so there defiantly seems to already be a fuzzy line between these two classes.

Melee speed is basically Throwing velocity. The melee speed stat gives projectiles created by melee weapons a higher initial velocity which is exactly what the throwing velocity stat does for current thrower weapons.

Melee needs a bit of help in prehardmode while ranger is already busted. Really the only good melee weapons in pre hardomde are the enchanted sword, alkalis, falcon blade, and yoyos. And there aren't any good melee weapons for dealing with late prehardmode bosses. Again in hardmode you have stuff like the shadowflame knives so melee characters throwing things isn't unfamiliar territory.

Addressing some reasons why thrower might be merged with ranged:

Throwing knives/ grenades were ranged prior to 1.3,
I don't think this is enough of a reason on its own to make thrower ranged. Changes are made in an attempt to make the game better and changing it back is just the same. I feel like these weapons fit a a melee character better mechanically

Ranger's need more armor in pre hardomde and thrower has 2 armors.
I agree with this, but that doesn't mean you should bring over all the thrower weapons with it. I think ninja armor would be nice as melee. And fossil could be overhauled to be a more offense oriented ranged armor while necro (with a defense buff) could be the defense oriented ranged armor. Bone weapons wouldn't fit with the armor class wise but that didn't stop jungle weapons and armor.

Throwing weapons are consumed similar to ammo.
I would say this is the strongest reason for merging with ranged but I again don't think it's enough of one. Throwing weapons are consumed directly while ammo needs a medium to be dispense. This may seem like a small difference but this changes how they work mechanically significantly. Ammo consuming weapons can use different ammo for different situations, while consumed thrown weapons are fixed. They feel just like melee weapons with the caveat that using them a lot will make them disappear.
There are two thrown weapons that make this awkward though. The bone glove and the ale tosser. It's a tossup between whether these should be melee or ranged weapons, on one hand they consume ammo, on the other the player visible throws things with them, and their ammo is limited to one type.

Back
Top Bottom