NPCs & Enemies Mermaid NPC

rongwroot2

Terrarian
Mermaid Sprite.png

The Mermaid is an NPC that sells a wide variety of items, mostly related to fishing. She arrives once the player completes 25 Angler quests

Like the truffle, she has a special requirement for her housing: That being that the house must be filled with water

She likes the desert and hates the ocean. For neighbours: She loves the Dye Trader, she likes the Angler, she dislikes the Pirate and Zoologist, and she hates the Stylist. The Angler and Dye Trader love her and the Stylist dislikes her

She sells:
  • The Byssus Spinner. This is an item of furniture resembling a spinning wheel in a large mussel. This is a crafting station which allows you to make coral furniture using coralstone blocks. It costs 10 gold
  • The Merfolk Fishing Pole. This is a unique fishing pole that allows the player to fish while submerged in water. The bobber does not float at the surface, but instead is neutrally buoyant and so hangs in the water. Water tiles that aren't exposed to the surface are still counted when using this rod. The fishing power is 30%, and it costs 20 gold
  • Several unique baits
    • The plume-fly has a bait power of 20%, but it only has a 5% chance of being consumed. With the tackle box, it can't be consumed at all. It costs 15 silver
    • The hypnotadpole has a bait power of 15%. When using it, fish will be caught automatically until the bait is consumed. It costs 1 silver
    • The kraken parazoea has a bait power of 25%. When used, it will reel in up to 3 fish, instead of just one. It costs 5 silver
  • The Shell Raft. This is a mount resembling a large clam shell used as a raft. It is slow on land, but when it's on water it is faster. It also increases fishing power by 10 when on water
  • The Bait Merging Pot. This is a powerful furniture piece resembling a large conch shell. It is placed on platforms or a table, like bottles. It allows a player to combine two baits into a single more powerful bait. The power of the new bait is calculated by the formula: (x+y)/(1+(xy/10000))=z, where x and y are the powers of the original baits. Any special traits will carry over to the new bait. It costs 20 gold and is availible only in hardmode

Overall ðis seems pretty well balanced and looks fun. I þink ðe hypnotadpole seems a little cheap but ðe low bait power balances ðat out well.

I would rather put a mermaid in the ocean not the desert. Cause you know there is no water in the desert, its why they call it a desert.
Yes I definitely agree with this. She should love the ocean not the desert. That is the only thing I disagree with on this post. And it would visually/ambience look better to have her housed at the ocean.

Still mermaids are associated with oceans, and I believe Relogic would see it the same way. Desert just makes no sense.

Edit: Very nicely and well thought out idea though.

As the others said, desert should be hated and ocean should be loved. Other than that a pretty great idea and adding a mermaid would add much to npc diversity which I really enjoy, monster npcs are awesome.
I like the idea of the bait and especially the auto fishing. Pretty op tho, so this bait type should only be obtainable late game

Back
Top Bottom