Items Metal Detector

Bryce's Games

Skeletron Prime
Hey everyone, bryce here with another suggestion. Today I bring you the metal detector!
"Are you tired of wandering everywhere underground to find ores?"
"Not really."
"You're supposed to say yes! Anyways, if you are, this item is for you! Just hold it out, and walk around. If you are over a vein of more than 10 ore, the detector will make a beeping sound! Then, just dig down and gather your supplies. Easy, right?"
"What if you get stuck in the hole you dug."
"Let's not worry about that now!"
Anyways, for a full explanation, the metal detector will allow you detect ore that is below you. It is sold by the merchant for 5 gold once he has moved in. When a vein of more than 10 ore is discovered, it will be displayed on your map, but no other blocks in that area. It has a reach of 2 blocks in either left or right directions of the player, and can see any ore that is no more than 80 ft below your standing position. Now the complicated part. Remember how I said it can scan 2 blocks on the left or right of you? Well, that's 4 total, plus the 2 your character takes up, times the 80 down...
4+2x80=242
That's a lot of tiles. It will help you lazy players find ore without having to go mining. However, this isn't always as efficient. Considering how much ore you can find on the walls of caves, this is safer and will not get you killed (as easily), but you may find less ore.

Oh, wait, I almost forgot something. It can also detect hardmode ores.

If you were wondering what the hell this thing looks like, well, here it is.
metal detector.png

I honestly think I did a pretty good job on the sprite, but uh, you guys can be the judge of that.
Anyways, that's just about the end of this suggestion. I hope you enjoyed this suggestion, and make sure to check out the similar threads list.

~Peace
Scan Cannon by Szgamer
Flash and beam lights by SnailsAttack

Last edited:
When I first read this I thought you'd make this an accessory, but the sprite you provided makes it look more like something you hold. I'd certainly prefer it as an accessory, given its limited usefulness as you may not always find ores you need and the fact that you're really vulnerable if it's a held item, especially in early hardmode.

Highlighting the ores on the minimap sounds nice, although it shouldn't display any ores outside of its reach. For example, if only 3 ores of the vein are in the search range, only these are displayed, but you'll be notified of a large vein below you regardless. By the way, 80 feet are 40 blocks, and 2+4x80=242. (2+4)x80 = 480, however.

Overall, I think this item is a poor-man's version of the Spelunker Potion. It works only in one direction and you don't know what you bump into (until you identify it on the minimap) and it leaves you vulnerable (if it's held). Given its limited use, two times in the entire game (searching Gold tier and searching Cobalt-Mythril Tier), it's something players will buy and keep stored in a chest, but catch dust quickly.

Surprised no one has posted anything yet, I think its a pretty darn good idea.
Thanks, man!
When I first read this I thought you'd make this an accessory, but the sprite you provided makes it look more like something you hold. I'd certainly prefer it as an accessory, given its limited usefulness as you may not always find ores you need and the fact that you're really vulnerable if it's a held item, especially in early hardmode.

Highlighting the ores on the minimap sounds nice, although it shouldn't display any ores outside of its reach. For example, if only 3 ores of the vein are in the search range, only these are displayed, but you'll be notified of a large vein below you regardless. By the way, 80 feet are 40 blocks, and 2+4x80=242. (2+4)x80 = 480, however.

Overall, I think this item is a poor-man's version of the Spelunker Potion. It works only in one direction and you don't know what you bump into (until you identify it on the minimap) and it leaves you vulnerable (if it's held). Given its limited use, two times in the entire game (searching Gold tier and searching Cobalt-Mythril Tier), it's something players will buy and keep stored in a chest, but catch dust quickly.
You are right. It may gather dust, but it will be useful for some amount of time (sort of like the mining helmet). I will also add your measurements.

It may gather dusy as @Emral said, but that is true for so many items that are already in the game, so I don't think that's a concern. I don't see a reason for it not to be in the game, so why the hell not?

Back
Top Bottom