NPCs & Enemies Meteor Heads Should Still Drop Meteorite in Hardmode Worlds

Sorenroy

Terrarian
As far as I can tell, Meteor Heads are the only enemies that work this way, but if there are more, then they should also follow this rule. If a drop is obtainable from a creature before you enter Hardmode, it should still be available once you've passed that threshold. For many creatures, the drop chance decreases as more items enter the pool, but they never disappear entirely. I don't mind having a list of renewable and non-renewable items, but an item should not be renewable up until a point. It's difficult enough making large builds out of rare blocks like meteorite as it is, it gets far more frustrating being halfway though a build and finding your all out of the block.

And, I know it's an option to just start a new world, but as someone who likes for all of there character/world combos to be self contained, it seems like a very minor change to just have Meteor Heads stay consistent.

The reason for this is that the Meteor heads have all their drops removed in hardmode to prevent soul farming with them as they override all other enemies. But really though I think they should still drop money and Meteorite ore.

The reason for this is that the Meteor heads have all their drops removed in hardmode to prevent soul farming with them as they override all other enemies. But really though I think they should still drop money and Meteorite ore.

I didn't realize that there was an actual reason behind it. I guess it makes sense, but there are so many ways to farm souls that it doesn't seem that game breaking to keep Meteor Heads dropping their items. And that's assuming there's no way to make a workaround so that they can't be abused (some type of Meteor Head exeption for soul drops).

Thinking about this more, there are mobs that disappear completely when transitioning to Hardmode (like the Wall Creeper), which makes stuff like their banners unobtainable. Less of an obvious fix than stuff like the Meteor Heads though. Also, if their other drops are obtainable in other ways, the banner becomes simply a decorative item with no effect on a Hardmode world. Still would be nice for them to have a low spawn chance so you can still get more if you want.

iirc, the specific reason for why Meteor Heads were nerfed the way they were is just how easy it was to AFK-farm them. If you equip turtle armor, meteor heads die as soon as they touch you while only dealing 1 damage to you. This meant you could park yourself in an underground Corruption/Crimson/Hallow/Jungle, leave your game running overnight, and get tons of free souls and/or biome keys, as well as tons of money. Granted, you can still do this as a money farming strat by just making a pre-hardmode world, but still. One would think the more elegant solution to this would be making it so that Meteor Heads are specifically incapable of dropping souls and keys, rather than gutting their drop table entirely as soon as you enter Hardmode.

I'll probably propose this in another part of the forum, but there could be another method for obtaining meteorite in hardmode that would circumvent the need for Meteor Heads to drop it and thus become farmable for souls and biome keys. With the release of the 1.4 update, the most elegant solution (that I can think of) would be to put meteorite ore into the loot table for hardmode fishing crates. This would still lock off easy access to meteorite during the early stages of the game, but would allow it to continue to be a renewable resource even if the source changes. Thematically, the Azure Crate (hardmode Sky Crate) probably works the best, but given the pattern of the three cross-biome chests being the ones that give ore, it could be an addition to the Pearlwood, Mythril, and Titanium Crates instead.

So minding my own business playing Terraria at 2:00 AM tonight and I finally beat the Destroyer of Worlds and the next night a meteor unexpectedly fell from the sky. I thought that meteors falling was linked to destroying Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts and decided to look it up on the wiki. While the Official and Fandom Wikis differ on exactly how to spawn a meteor, both say that there is a 2% chance of a meteor falling on any given night. I suppose a mix of luck and play-stile (leaving meteor where it lands in most of my worlds) made it so that this random occurrence never happened before. But if this 2% is the case in hardmode, that means that meteorite is a renewable resource both pre- and post-Wall of Flesh.

While the change in Meteor Head drops is still odd from a mechanical sense when compared with all the other enemies in the game, the core issue of a resource becoming finite only after progressing the game does not seem to be as crushing, even if the mechanism by which you have to work to obtain hardmode meteorite become much harder.

Back
Top Bottom