Biomes & Nature Meteor Revival: Making Meteorites a Legitimate Biome

I've never actually thought of this, or something similar. In fact, the general concept is very interesting and exciting. The idea is elaborated on heavily, which is also a sign of good development and effort. And as well as that, the formatting and finishing touches, that includes the obvious spritework, are incredible and add to the various factors of quality which I love ever so much. Good job on this. Oh no, that was an understatement; fantastic job.

I like the idea of having a limited infected area which gives meteorite a bigger purpose in the context of the game, such as for asthetics in housing. My concern is that, for one, you're buffing the biome by giving it some of the most annoying enemy AIs which hit for a ton at the first-meteorite stage of the game. I propose lowering their stats a bit. Meteor heads are allowed to hit hard as they're no problem to take care of.

How would the spreading-back part of your idea work? Would ionized sand be reconverted by purity aswell or would the player have to wait for corruption or hallow to come until the ionized sand is gone? Despite that, I'm against turning clay blocks into dirt blocks, as that's a certain one-way street, as clay is one of those blocks which can't be converted whatsoever, meaning, they wouldn't be reconverted.

Back to the problem with the sand: If one, for some reason, would want to make an artificial ionized desert, would they be able to keep it up without using meteorite? Else providing Ionsand Bricks for building would be a way of giving the material some use., despite these deserts not being possible in that case.

Also, I'm not too fond on the furniture graphics as they don't really exert enough character, but that's just my nitpicking. I like the idea of this biome and with a few tweaks here and there I'd look forward to seeing this in the game.

I like the idea of having a limited infected area which gives meteorite a bigger purpose in the context of the game, such as for asthetics in housing. My concern is that, for one, you're buffing the biome by giving it some of the most annoying enemy AIs which hit for a ton at the first-meteorite stage of the game. I propose lowering their stats a bit. Meteor heads are allowed to hit hard as they're no problem to take care of.
Meteor Heads are way too easy to farm. :l The other enemies are uncommon/rare, which means they deserve better stats than meteor heads.
I'm against turning clay blocks into dirt blocks, as that's a certain one-way street, as clay is one of those blocks which can't be converted whatsoever, meaning, they wouldn't be reconverted.
:sigh: Yeah, enough people are concerned about that that I'm going to change it.
Back to the problem with the sand: If one, for some reason, would want to make an artificial ionized desert, would they be able to keep it up without using meteorite? Else providing Ionsand Bricks for building would be a way of giving the material some use., despite these deserts not being possible in that case.
Yes, you would have to place Meteorite in order to sustain an artificial biome. The more Meteorite you place, the further it's able to spread. (Tiles that are being converted would check how many tiles of Meteorite are within a given radius. If there are 50 tiles of Meteorite within 50 blocks of the tile, then it is susceptible to being converted. Same if there are 40 tiles within 40 blocks, 30 tiles within 30 blocks, etc. If the check fails, then the block will be purified rather than spread.)

I see... would this conversion also affect artificial mushroom biomes partially consisting of meteorite ore for visual effects?

I don't know if the spreading idea is good. Maybe that should only be possible in hardmode?
It would be interesting to see un-mined meteors begin to spread/infect the world in hardmode, with new hard-mode tier mobs. So, my thoughts exactly.

Cool idea, it would be nice if the "radioactive" properties of meteorite begin to convert nearby biomes during hardmode, giving players both a reason to mine up all meteors before defeating the WoF or a reason NOT to mine up all the meteorite.

I find it unfair that the Meteorite "biome" is such a dull and depraved area to be in. You go there and you get attacked by endless waves of mindless, flaming drones. It's pretty cool the first time you experience it, but after that it causes a reaction that is something along the lines of: Oh, barf. It's you again. -_-

I think it's a bit unfair to the Meteorite biome, don't you? Why not make it a more worthy of that title?

index.php
My idea: add new enemies that spawn in the Meteorite biome, and give it the ability to spread and become its own special biome if allowed to grow and expand. Instead of a big, ugly crater, you have the birthplace of all new biome with its own flora and fauna, making it more than just a big dumb hole full of rock.

Spread

First thing I propose is that a Meteor crash site will start to spread it's own biome. Wherever it crashes, the Meteorite will Ionize (the word I'll use to describe the corruption/conversion into the Meteorite biome) every convertible block within, lets say, 4 or 5 blocks away from any given piece of Meteorite (conversions are listed below), and then spread at the same rate of post-Plantera Hardmode biomes.

The biome will be able to spread a maximum of 50 blocks away from a Meteorite. Any Ionized tile that is not within this range will be able to be converted back, so you can eliminate a Meteorite biome by mining up the Meteorite itself. Tiles that are being converted would check how many tiles of Meteorite are within a given radius. If there are 50 tiles of Meteorite within 50 blocks of the tile, then it is susceptible to being converted. (Same if there are 40 tiles within 40 blocks, 30 tiles within 30 blocks, etc.) If the check fails, then the block will be purified rather than spread.

Simplified version: More Meteorite=Bigger biome. Getting rid of Meteorite will cause the biome to shrink.

Conversion

index.php

Grass turns a rusty-brown tinge and sprouts orange blossoms.

index.php

Stone isn't actually converted, but a glowing, Meteorite-colored moss will spread across the surface.

index.php

Sand turns into Ionsand, which looks like powdered Meteorite with a weaker glow. Cactus sprite by @Zoomo.

index.php
index.php

Trees will be made of Ionwood. Equipment would be one tier above Ebon/Shadewood. Sprites by @Vikri.

Water turns a sort of pale brownish color, like dirty water.

Any Clay that is within 1 tile of an Ionized block will be turned into Dirt.

Everything else is safe from being converted.

Items

These are the stats of the Ionwood equipment I described earlier.

(Recipes require the same standard amount of Wood as the existing Wood equipment.)

index.php
(Sprite by @Vikri)
Ionwood Armor
Helmet: 2 Defense
Breastplate: 2 Defense
Greaves: 1 Defense
Set Bonus: +1 Defense
Total: 6 Defense

index.php

Ionwood Sword
Damage: 11
Knockback: 5
Use Time: 20

index.php

Ionwood Bow
Damage: 9
Use Time: 26
Velocity: 6.6

index.php

Ionwood Hammer
Damage: 8
Knockback: 5.5
Use Time: 28
Power: 45%

index.php

Also, Baconfry suggested a Meteor Head pet-summoning item. Ferrous Rock (Thanks for the name, FlakMaster!) would be a 0.067% (1/1500) drop from Meteor Heads, and summon a miniature Meteor Head (sprited above) that follows the player around as a pet.

Enemies

A couple of new mobs to make it more interesting. Meteor Heads are incredibly boring on their own.
(Sprites by @Vikri)

Meteor_Head.png

Meteor Head
*Very common. (Not as common as they are now, though.)
Health: 26
Damage: 40
Defense: 6
*Inflicts the "On Fire!" debuff.

index.php

Meteor Slime
*Semi-common. (About as common as Demon Eyes.)
*Spawn during the day.
Health: 30
Damage: 30
Defense: 18
*Jumps higher than most other Slimes.
*Has a burning visual effect when falling.
*Inflicts the "On Fire!" debuff; 20% when grounded, 100% when falling.

index.php

Spiked Meteor Slime
*Somewhat uncommon. (A bit more common than Devourers.)
*Spawn at night.
Health: 35
Damage: 42
Defense: 24
*Shoots burning spikes at the player.
*Jumps higher than most other Slimes.
*Has a burning visual effect when falling.
*Inflicts the "On Fire!" debuff; 20% when grounded/spike attack, 100% when falling.

View attachment 9359
Ionized Worm
*Uncommon. (About the same rarity as Devourers.)
Health: 50
Damage: 34 (
index.php
), 26 (
index.php
)
Defense: 2 (
index.php
), 6 (
index.php
), 10 (
index.php
)

Furniture

Furniture sprites by @Vikri:
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Conclusion

Well, that's about it. Feel free to leave comments and ask questions. Feedback is always appreciated.
Why isn't this a thing!

Pretty cool idea, definitely would be a great addition to give the Meteor biome a bit more use to people who don't want magic gear, and to just give it some more life.

You get support, though mostly because I want a meteor head pet.

You know, I kind of want a meteor head miniboss at this point.

Stage 1 could be a hunk of meteor/meteor golem/something, and in Stage 2 some sort of alien monstrosity could burst out of it, likely foreshadowing the Lunar event.

Back
Top Bottom