Biomes & Nature Meteor Revival: Making Meteorites a Legitimate Biome

Looks like we're getting some mini biomes in 1.3.6. Maybe we'll get something like this one since they are experimenting with new biome generation mechanics.

i know this thread is old and all, but i wanted to use the meteor drifter for a mod im making, or at least base an enemy off of this. would it be fine if i used it?

Great idea! Signature:
Code:
[url=http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/meteor-revival-making-meteorites-a-legitimate-biome.960/][img]http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/meteor-biome-png.9736/[/img][/url]

Last edited:
I find it unfair that the Meteorite "biome" is such a dull and depraved area to be in. You go there and you get attacked by endless waves of mindless, flaming drones. It's pretty cool the first time you experience it, but after that it causes a reaction that is something along the lines of: Oh, right. We have to do this again. -_-

I think it's a bit unfair to the Meteorite biome, don't you? Why not make it a more worthy of that title?

index.php

My idea: Add new enemies that spawn in the Meteorite biome, and give it the ability to spread and become its own special biome if allowed to grow and expand. Instead of a big, ugly crater, you have the birthplace of all new biome with its own flora and fauna, making it more than just a big dumb hole full of rock.​

Also, if the Meteorite became a full, independent biome, there would no longer be the issue of using Meteor Heads to grind Key Molds, so Meteor Heads could start dropping items in Hardmode again! Yay!

(Read the whole thread thoroughly to get the full scope of changes that are proposed by this suggestion thread.)

Biome Size

As you gathered from reading above, a Meteor crash site will start to spread it's own biome. Wherever a Meteor crashes, the Meteorite will Ionize (the word I'll use to describe the corruption/conversion into the Meteorite biome) every convertible block within 5 blocks of any given tile of Meteorite (conversions are listed below), and then spread at a reasonably slow rate from there.

The biome will be able to spread a maximum of 50 blocks away from a Meteorite. Any Ionized tile that is not within this range will be able to be converted back, so you can eliminate a Meteorite biome by mining up the Meteorite itself. Tiles that are being converted would check how many tiles of Meteorite are within a given radius. If there are 50 tiles of Meteorite within 50 blocks of the tile, then it is susceptible to being converted. (Same if there are 40 tiles within 40 blocks, 30 tiles within 30 blocks, etc.) If the check fails, then the block will be purified rather than spread.

Simplified version: The more Meteorite there is, the more the biome can spread. Getting rid of the Meteorite will cause the biome to shrink.

Biome Spread

index.php

Ionized Grass is a rusty-brown tinge and sprouts orange blossoms.

index.php

Stone isn't actually converted, but glowing, Ionized Moss will creep across the surface.

index.php

Sand turns into Ironsand, which looks like powdered Meteorite with a weaker glow. Cactus sprite by @Zoomo.

index.php
index.php

Trees will be made of Ironwood. Equipment would be one tier above Ebon/Shadewood. Sprites by @Vikri.

Water turns a sort of pale brownish color, like dirty water.

If there is a Clay tile where Ionized Grass wants to grow, that Clay will be turned into Dirt.

Everything else is safe from being converted.

Enemies

New mobs to spice up the variety of threats you are faced when hanging out near a Meteorite, and new loot for the original Meteor Head!

View attachment 141818
Meteor Head
* Very common. (Not as common as they are now, though.)
Health: 26
Damage: 40
Defense: 6
* Inflicts the "On Fire!" debuff.
Drops:
Meteorite.png
Meteorite - 33% - Meteorite will be reliably farmable by killing Meteorite mobs, so you don't have to harvest the Meteorite itself!
View attachment 141820 Unstable Meteorite Core - 1/75 - A new accessory, which is elaborated on below!
View attachment 141856 Ferrous Rock - 1/750 - It's shaped suspiciously like a Meteor Head...
View attachment 26154 Ancient Meteor Helmet - 1/1000 - The only missing piece in the nostalgia-rich Ancient armor series!

index.php

Sprite by Vikri.
Meteor Slime
* Somewhat common. (About as common as Demon Eyes.)
* Spawn during the day.
Health: 30
Damage: 30
Defense: 18
* Jumps higher than most other Slimes.
* Has a burning visual effect when falling.
* Inflicts the "On Fire!" debuff for 3 seconds; 20% when grounded, 75% when falling.
Drops:
Meteorite.png
Meteorite - 50%

index.php

Sprite by Vikri.
Spiked Meteor Slime
* Somewhat uncommon. (A bit more common than Devourers.)
* Spawns at night.
Health: 35
Damage: 42
Defense: 24
* Shoots burning spikes at the player.
* Jumps higher than most other Slimes.
* Has a burning visual effect when falling.
* Inflicts the "On Fire!" debuff for 3 seconds; 20% when grounded/spike attack, 75% when falling.
Drops:
Meteorite.png
Meteorite - 50%

View attachment 9359
Sprite by Vikri.
Ionized Worm
* Uncommon. (About the same rarity as Devourers.)
* Will not leave the Meteor biome.
Health: 50
Damage: 34 (
index.php
), 26 (
index.php
)
Defense: 2 (
index.php
), 6 (
index.php
), 10 (
index.php
)
Drops:
View attachment 26154 Ancient Meteor Helmet - 1/250

View attachment 29873
index.php

Alien Flower
Attack animation by Milt69466. (Thanks a lot!)
* Very uncommon. (Not especially rare though.)
* Stationary enemy which occassionally fires damaging Spores into the air that follow the player as they float down.
Health: 80
Spore Damage: 40
Contact Damage: 30
Defense: 4
Drops:
View attachment 141817 Xenospore Balloon - 1/30 - Another new accessory, and this one is... a Balloon?

Hardmode

View attachment 141811
Meteor Drifter
* Uncommon floating enemy.
* Very aggressive towards anyone within the Meteorite biome.
Health: 300
Contact Damage: 40
Projectile Damage: 50
Defense: 36
* Fires a narrow spread of three yellow-green energy projectiles at any interlopers.
* Projectiles have a 75% chance to inflict Electrified for 4 seconds.
Drops:
Meteorite.png
3-5 Meteorite - 100%

View attachment 141827
Ion Shifter
* Uncommon worm enemy.
* Will not leave the Meteor Biome.
Health: 600
Damage: 65 (
index.php
), 50 (
index.php
)
Defense: 24 (
index.php
), 30 (
index.php
), 42 (
index.php
)
Drops:
View attachment 26154 Ancient Meteor Helmet - 1/200

Equipment

So you're probably interested in those new items you saw up there! Well fear not, this section explains them all!

Crafted Items
Recipes require the same standard amount of Wood as the existing Wood equipment.

index.php

(Sprite by @Vikri)
Ironwood Armor
Helmet: 2 Defense
Breastplate: 2 Defense
Greaves: 1 Defense
Set Bonus: +1 Defense
Total: 6 Defense

index.php

Ironwood Sword
Damage: 11
Knockback: 5
Use Time: 20

index.php

Ironwood Bow
Damage: 9
Use Time: 26
Velocity: 6.6

index.php

Ironwood Hammer
Damage: 8
Knockback: 5.5
Use Time: 28
Power: 45%

Furniture
Crafted with Ironwood using the standard recipes. Sprites by Vikri.

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Looted Items
Drop details are found in the Enemies section.

View attachment 141856
Ferrous Rock
* Pet item.
* Suggested by Baconfry and named by Flakmaster.
* Summons a Pet Meteor Head, sprited below.
View attachment 141859 View attachment 141812
"Hard to get close to, but is really warm on the inside."

View attachment 26154
Ancient Meteor Helmet
* Originally suggested by CraftedNightmare Here!
* A much older version of the Meteor Helmet with identical stats.
5 Defense
7% Increased Magic Damage

View attachment 141820
Unstable Meteorite Core
'The beating heart of a sentient floating rock.'
* Accessory.
* When equipped, press [Down] to increase fall speed, gain knockback immunity while falling, and set nearby enemies On Fire! for 3 seconds.
* The user has a burning visual effect while this ability is active.

View attachment 141817
Xenospore Balloon
'I wouldn't hold it by the string if I were you.'
* Accessory.
* Grants an additional jump and increases jump height.
* Jumping releases a cloud of 6 spores that deal 10 damage each on contact with enemies.
- This only affects the jump added by the balloon; additional jumps are unaffected.

Accessory Tinkering
Combination Accessories that are crafted at the Tinkerer's Workshop.

View attachment 141816
Meteoric Horseshoe
* Grants immunity to fire blocks and knockback.
* Press [Down] to increase fall speed, gain knockback immunity while falling, and set nearby enemies On Fire!
Recipe:
View attachment 141820 Unstable Meteorite Core
Obsidian_Horseshoe.png
Obsidian Horseshoe

View attachment 141814
Alien Horseshoe Balloon
"Skew gravity in all sorts of interesting ways!"
* Grants an additional jump and increases jump height.
* Jumping releases a cloud of spores that damage enemies on contact.
* Grants immunity to fire blocks and knockback.
* Press [Down] to increase fall speed, gain knockback immunity while falling, and set nearby enemies On Fire!
Recipe:
View attachment 141817 Xenospore Balloon
View attachment 141816 Meteoric Horseshoe

Conclusion

As far as I can tell, this thread is the best received of all of my biome suggestions, and there's still room to expand! Feel free to leave comments, ask questions, and share your own ideas for expanding the Meteor biome! Feedback is always appreciated!
at first i was a bit hezitant as ðe post said ðat ðe biome could spread but ðe fact ðe spread is limited to being nearby to a metiorite means it couldnt really get out of hand, i never really realized metiorites are a biome but knowing ðat ðey should definetly be expanded & i like ðe way u did it, overall very good idea

Very well made idea but wouln't the whole world become left over meteorite biome eventually? perhaps the spread will "unspread" once the meteorite stone is gone

Back
Top Bottom