Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Maybe it could work

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No it's boring and makes mages weak

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Uniquepotatoes

Terrarian
As of now, anyone can get meteorite early by bombing orbs and then using sticky dynamite or other explosives to quickly gather large amounts of meteorite ore. Meteorite armor combined with the space gun is very powerful and can easily defeat EoC and carry you up to WoF.

To make it a bit more balanced but keep the power of the set i suggest to make naturally spawned meteorite resistant to explosives and increase the needed pickaxe power to deathbringer/nightmare. This would mean you could get it by failing or winning BoC/EoW as both of these bosses drop shadow scales/tissue samples before they are fully defeated. The result would be that mining meteorite would take more effort and the chances of getting it pre EoC would be very small.

A possible addition is to make it lose it's explosion resistance post BoC/EoW or post EoC depending on how easy it should be to get it pre BoC/EoW

The possibility of making this expert only is also there and would make it unique.

This isn't a super important suggestion but i think it would make mage weapons such as gem staves and vilethorn more fun to use and balance the game. Possible downsides is mage only playthroughs will be harder (especially in crimson worlds) and pure mage EoC will be a lot harder to do without a waterbolt. This could be negated by adding more pre EoC mage weapons giving people less OP options than meteorite.

To compensate for this phaseblades (and sabers because they're underpowered anyways) would gain increased attack, speed and possibly autoswing.

TL;DR

Make meteorite post EoC and possibly change some stuff to make it fit better

I would agree if mining meteor was not such an ungodly boring activity. Doing it without explosives sounds even worse. I don't know if it's possible for a block to change its properties after a threshold is crossed.

I also don't support nerfing meteor until the amount of ore required to craft armor is dropped.

I also don't support nerfing meteor until the amount of ore required to craft armor is dropped.
wdym
[doublepost=1509739838,1509739782][/doublepost]And this is why the making them explosive resistant until EoC is defeated could work (hellstone already does this but with hardmode)
[doublepost=1509739934][/doublepost]And it's not that hard to mine it

Meteors only appear when you've destroyed a shadow orb, by the time you've figured out to reach the shadow orbs while surviving the corruption. then you're already strong enough to defeat EoC or EoW likely.

If you're able to reach the shadow orbs easily because you know what to do, would you want to penaltise yourself to make that part harder to obtain?
I mean, once you know how to defeat the Eye of Cthulhu (platforms, sunflower, shurikens, nurse) then that wouldn't matter much either, would it?

Meteors only appear when you've destroyed a shadow orb, by the time you've figured out to reach the shadow orbs while surviving the corruption. then you're already strong enough to defeat EoC or EoW likely.

If you're able to reach the shadow orbs easily because you know what to do, would you want to penaltise yourself to make that part harder to obtain?
I mean, once you know how to defeat the Eye of Cthulhu (platforms, sunflower, shurikens, nurse) then that wouldn't matter much either, would it?
That isn't true at all. It may be arrogant, but I consider myself an expert at Terraria, and when starting a new world that I don't want to spend too much time starting out in, I make a dive for the corruption and smash a few orbs. It's far too easy to cheese through the first half with meteor gear. You definitely don't have to be able to "survive the corruption" or be "strong enough to defeat EoC or EoW" to break an orb.

Of course I want to penalize myself, that's the point of a video game. To have it otherwise is boring.
[doublepost=1509746839,1509746766][/doublepost]
not really just kill the heads and mine
The many, many heads with huge attack power that can go through walls? While at the same time mining hundreds of blocks on a deadly surface in an odd pattern?

As i said the possibility of making it lose it's explosion resistance post eoc is there
[doublepost=1509747689,1509747636][/doublepost]and it's not that hard with a pickaxe either, just kill the head with your nightmare/deathbringer pickaxe and use platforms - not saying it's easy, but should it be?

It's a sandbox game. You don't have to use early Meteor gear if you don't want to. You don't even have to use it at all.

Space Gun may be a bit above the earlygame power curve, but you pay for that strength by being forced to listen to PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW for hours upon hours, nonstop, unending, oh my god Jeff just let go of the mouse button we're idling at home at noon, I swear to god I'm going to snap your mouse in half if you keep this up. That's it. Oh my god, that's it. Somebody get me a water bucket. I'm taking this into my own damn hands

As i said the possibility of making it lose it's explosion resistance post eoc is there
[doublepost=1509747689,1509747636][/doublepost]and it's not that hard with a pickaxe either, just kill the head with your nightmare/deathbringer pickaxe and use platforms - not saying it's easy, but should it be?
You can't knock heads back far enough with a pickaxe for them not to overwhelm you.
It's a sandbox game. You don't have to use early Meteor gear if you don't want to. You don't even have to use it at all.
Let's just make the player start with a Star Wrath then. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Let's just make the player start with a Star Wrath then. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Attempting to invalidate a point of discussion by deflecting and providing a slippery slope comparison. Try again.

Meteor is not a problem because every stage of the game has tools that allow experienced players to skip a little bit further ahead of where a person playing blind would be so they can advance quicker if they so choose to do so.

it's a stupid argument to say overpowered stuff is ok because you don't have to use it
[doublepost=1509749837,1509749822][/doublepost]don't defend stuff if there's no point in defending it
[doublepost=1509749926][/doublepost]and for the sound... Did you listen to the vortex beater

Attempting to invalidate a point of discussion by deflecting and providing a slippery slope comparison. Try again.

Meteor is not a problem because every stage of the game has tools that allow experienced players to skip a little bit further ahead of where a person playing blind would be so they can advance quicker if they so choose to do so.
it's a stupid argument to say overpowered stuff is ok because you don't have to use it

The thing is, as much as I would appreciate a linear progression for this game, that's just not how Terraria works. Meteorite also isn't the only tier to possess this trait, there are several other things in the game that can be obtained (sometimes even easier than this) before their weaker prerequisites, like fishing (just in general now that I think about it, what with how you can obtain hardmode ores with enough patience without even smashing a demon altar and how the Reaver Shark is easily accessible as a substitute for the Nightmare Pickaxe), gem hooks (the normal hook serves as the one with the least range and yet is also the hardest to obtain), Frost Wings being several tiers above others despite things like the Bee Wings being significantly harder to obtain, and the entire Shadowflame arsenal which can be acquired by summoning a Goblin Army as soon as hardmode begins.

I'm all for actual progression, don't get me wrong, but the state it's in currently is better. It's healthy for a sandbox game. Almost any sort of progression is simply there to give players a sense of what to do and serves as a recommendation for what gear you should be obtaining before fighting stronger enemies, but don't necessarily have to. It gives people playing the game the freedom to do whatever they please and the ability to think outside the box in terms of strategies; not everyone even thinks that they'd be able to simply smash a Shadow Orb early on because they need to prepare with stronger gear.

So essentially the progression is a guideline, but not necessarily a requirement.

The thing is, as much as I would appreciate a linear progression for this game, that's just not how Terraria works. Meteorite also isn't the only tier to possess this trait, there are several other things in the game that can be obtained (sometimes even easier than this) before their weaker prerequisites, like fishing (just in general now that I think about it, what with how you can obtain hardmode ores with enough patience without even smashing a demon altar and how the Reaver Shark is easily accessible as a substitute for the Nightmare Pickaxe), gem hooks (the normal hook serves as the one with the least range and yet is also the hardest to obtain), Frost Wings being several tiers above others despite things like the Bee Wings being significantly harder to obtain, and the entire Shadowflame arsenal which can be acquired by summoning a Goblin Army as soon as hardmode begins.

I'm all for actual progression, don't get me wrong, but the state it's in currently is better. It's healthy for a sandbox game. Almost any sort of progression is simply there to give players a sense of what to do and serves as a recommendation for what gear you should be obtaining before fighting stronger enemies, but don't necessarily have to. It gives people playing the game the freedom to do whatever they please and the ability to think outside the box in terms of strategies; not everyone even thinks that they'd be able to simply smash a Shadow Orb early on because they need to prepare with stronger gear.

So essentially the progression is a guideline, but not necessarily a requirement.
You act like these problems are systematic. They could be resolved without breaking the game.

Instead of a hard-to-understand mechanic like making meteor blocks explosive unbreakable untill [criteria] is met. Why not just let the meteor biome spawn after EoW is defeated?

That sounds like the most logical fix to this problem specific.

Instead of a hard-to-understand mechanic like making meteor blocks explosive unbreakable untill [criteria] is met. Why not just let the meteor biome spawn after EoW is defeated?

That sounds like the most logical fix to this problem specific.
It should be after the EoC, not EoW

You act like these problems are systematic. They could be resolved without breaking the game.
My point is to supply a different perspective that these problems might not even be problems. Whenever I do Terraria playthroughs, I usually follow the progression system in the order that you're supposed to - I wouldn't be opposed nor be even affected if it were to change.

I feel like maybe this is the wrong way to go about it. Instead, maybe ebonstone or demonite orbs and their equivalents could be bomb-resistant. Or maybe meteorites should have a later spawn requirement, like defeating the EoW.

I definitely agree that meteorite is an annoyingly powerful armor for its tier, and can be obtained very easily and very early in the game, rendering all previous tiers worthless.

Back
Top Bottom