Meteorite farm

jimbojones27

Terrarian
Heyo yall I think I've finally found the hardest thing to almost AFK farm in the game (you probably can AFK farm it but it'd be a lot slower- and it's already slow)
Meteors-
There are two ways to farm it- meteor heads have a chance of dropping meteor in prehm- which is lame as it is prehm and its a 2% drop chance.

Second way is by causing meteor strikes. I didn't actually know you could cause meteor strikes- but now you can spawn as many Meteors as you want. Killing BoC or EoW will increase the odds to 50%.

Meteors can then be forced to spawn at a specific X location by using chests. This is quite a large project but not too bad if you just spam chests everywhere.
These Meteors can then enter one wide gaps and travel down to the bottom of the world (have not tested all the way to underworld, however I assume so). This allows for a lot more meteorite to spawn than usual, as there will be no meteor on the surface to count towards the maximum value.

A meteor strike cannot spawn on a Meteors strike, which is interesting but makes sense. This means that you'll have to provide a new location for each meteor to hit.

We also need blocks for the Meteors to land on and we need blocks that can be automatically replaced- I was thinking obsidian
Screenshot_20221107-003306_Terraria.jpg
This is where it gets difficult- I would need to find a way to generate a solid obsidian block. This block would need to be made with water and lava channels on each side. It would be made such that the layer of obsidian formed below it would support the lava above it that would for the next obsidian layer.

This obsidian generator would be built several times in the same X coordinate.

Once all the obsidian has generated the farm would he ready to run. The Meteors would spawn with a 50% chance each night.

Screenshot_20221107-003250_Terraria.jpg

Each obsidian block (bar the lowest) would have a line of actuators running through to allow a meteor to strike the lowest block.

For this system to work well you'll have to detect a meteorite strike. Meteors strike at midnight. When midnight strikes (or even the morning after to be safe) we can teleport to the block of obsidian and spawn a buggy from a buggy statue. If a meteorite has striked a buggy won't be able to cross the obsidian block because of the crater.

If there hasn't been a meteorite strike the buggy will cross the entire flat block hitting a pressure plate, sending you back to the brain of cythulu kill chamber. (Don't worry you literally have all day the bug can take its time)

You can only have brain of cythulu active in a crimson biome, so this allows only two bloody spines to be used a day, one to spawn in BoC, and a second one wasted. BoC can be killed in a fairly predictable short amount of time and teleporting away from the crimson despawns the boss.

So the hardest thing about implementing a farm like this is the block of obsidian generators. So I would really love some help if anyone has any good ideas on how to get something like that to work.

I don't think I'll attempt building this until I have a laptop as it would be very tedious to test/ build something of this magnitude on my phone hahaha.

But if any of you brave people wanna give this a go tell me how it went!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-004224_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221107-004224_Chrome~2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20221107-003950_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221107-003950_Chrome.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 81
Well using grates comes to mind, but you are going to have a problem with making a solid uninterrupted obsidian mass.
Yes this will be the most challenging bit. Working with liquids in mechanisms is always a pain lol.

I don't think it'll be impossible but I don't want the whole thing to be massively overcomplicated lol. More complex something is the more things that'll go wrong especially with unpredictable liquids lol

Well using grates comes to mind, but you are going to have a problem with making a solid uninterrupted obsidian mass.
I made a prototype of an obsidian cube generator. Low key a pain to build but is reliable and not as hard as I was thinking.
Only thing is it's like not liquid efficient at all lol. But ya know I think there's some very slow liquid dumpers that can refill these whilst you wait for Meteors to fall lol.

I made an obsidian generator a long time ago using pumps with a pool on each side just refilling themselves and a guided spot for the 2 liquids to touch making the obsidian….so just stand there mining over and over.

I made an obsidian generator a long time ago using pumps with a pool on each side just refilling themselves and a guided spot for the 2 liquids to touch making the obsidian….so just stand there mining over and over.
Screenshot_20221112-173841_Terraria.jpg

Well that is a much easier way of making an obsidian farm, however it's more about the way it generates for me. This is the first prototype for the meteorite farm, I went with honey blocks over obsidian as honey and water are much easier liquids to delete compared to lava. The idea is to have many of these farms stacked on top of each other and you'll slowly make a lot of meteorite.

I like your design…it is well thought out. However what “draws” the meteorite to it? I don’t understand that…just chance?

Ok, this has peaked my interest lol

However what “draws” the meteorite to it? I don’t understand that…just chance?
You can manipulate meteorite spawns by placing chests every 70 blocks: "Meteors will not land within 35 tiles of an NPC or a Chest." (See: The meteorite (biome) wiki page)

I'm thinking there's three ways of generating blocks for the meteorite to spawn in.
  • Obsidian generator: This is the option we're looking into right now. People have figured out very efficient ways of generating water and lava in this forum. If the other options fail this will definetly work. But I'm more interested in the other options.
  • Sand Generator: If we make a spawn area for antlions, and then move them using hoiks, we can use them to generate sand blocks every 3.33 seconds.
  • Artificial spider cave: Spider caves naturally generate cobweb. functional spider walls can be crafted with cobweb, and then turned into infested spider walls by throwing them into the simmer. If this works and the meteorite recognizes cobwebs as solid blocks, this could potentially be the easiest way of making this farm.

Though I also wonder what you could want this farm for..
Maybe an infinite supply of meteorite bullets? :D

Last edited:

I'm thinking there's three ways of generating blocks for the meteorite to spawn in.
  • Obsidian generator: This is the option we're looking into right now. People have figured out very efficient ways of generating water and lava in this forum. If the other options fail this will definetly work. But I'm more interested in the other options.
  • Sand Generator: If we make a spawn area for antlions, and then move them using hoiks, we can use them to generate sand blocks every 3.33 seconds.
  • Artificial spider cave: Spider caves naturally generate cobweb. functional spider walls can be crafted with cobweb, and then turned into infested spider walls by throwing them into the simmer. If this works and the meteorite recognizes cobwebs as solid blocks, this could potentially be the easiest way of making this farm.

I'm pretty sure that Meteorite Bars are one of the most profitable to sell, especially in Pre-HM. This would be a really easy money farm.

I like your design…it is well thought out. However what “draws” the meteorite to it? I don’t understand that…just chance?
Ah well that's the easy part, Meteors can't spawn within 35 blocks I think of chests so it's very easy to narrow it down to a single point.

You can manipulate meteorite spawns by placing chests every 70 blocks: "Meteors will not land within 35 tiles of an NPC or a Chest." (See: The meteorite (biome) wiki page)

A lot of the old water duplication methods have been patched. I've seen some newer water dupers but they can be inconsistent and slow.
Cobwebs are a very nice idea, the only problem is that cobwebs need blocks to grow from. I haven't done much research into cobweb growth yet but that could be a very viable strategy.

As for antilons, it'd a very interesting idea. 1 sand every 3.33 seconds is very quick. So I quickly designed a 2 player farm that can get max npc limit for just antilons. So like 185 Antillons gets like 55 sand a second. Oof i must be calculating wrong cus that would be 200000 sand an hour. I've got to find a mobile friend to try it out with lol

Ok, I ran some simple tests on how fast the cobweb can regenerate, and it's just waayy too slow. It takes multipe days for it to fill up, and the cobweb only spawns on spider walls that are near blocks, so there goes that theory.

For the antlion farm, I first wanted to test how many antlions would spawn in the most ideal of conditions, so I made this:

Capture 2022-11-26 02_18_51.png

As it turns out, antlions have a very low spawn rate. So low in fact, that after being in that AFK farm for 5 minutes, CERO antlions spawned. I had water candles, a battle potion, and 10x the spawn rate through the power menu in journey mode, but no antlions spawned. I waited 10 minutes more to see if they could even spawn, and they did eventually appear. But they're such a rare enemy that I don't think a farm can be built relying on these mobs. Specially considering the fact that for maximum efficiency, the meteorite farm should be able to replace all blocks in 24 real-world minutes (that's how long a terraria day is).

It seems that an obsidian generator is the only viable solution

We could use the giant ocean of lava in a large "Drunk Seed" world as a lava source:

2022-11-26 03_01_04-Terraria_ A Bunnies Tale.png

Though I feel ike the biggest challenge with this will be timing the transfer of liquids correctly, to make a solid square of obsidian.

Ok, I've managed to design an obsidian generator that generates the obsidian into a solid square :happy:

According to the wiki, the metorite needs a 30x30 area of solid blocks, so I expanded the obsidian generator.
Capture 2022-11-26 22_36_32.png

Capture 2022-11-26 22_35_52.png

Last edited:
Ok, I ran some simple tests on how fast the cobweb can regenerate, and it's just waayy too slow. It takes multipe days for it to fill up, and the cobweb only spawns on spider walls that are near blocks, so there goes that theory.

For the antlion farm, I first wanted to test how many antlions would spawn in the most ideal of conditions, so I made this:

View attachment 392554

As it turns out, antlions have a very low spawn rate. So low in fact, that after being in that AFK farm for 5 minutes, CERO antlions spawned. I had water candles, a battle potion, and 10x the spawn rate through the power menu in journey mode, but no antlions spawned. I waited 10 minutes more to see if they could even spawn, and they did eventually appear. But they're such a rare enemy that I don't think a farm can be built relying on these mobs. Specially considering the fact that for maximum efficiency, the meteorite farm should be able to replace all blocks in 24 real-world minutes (that's how long a terraria day is).

It seems that an obsidian generator is the only viable solution

We could use the giant ocean of lava in a large "Drunk Seed" world as a lava source:

View attachment 392555

Though I feel ike the biggest challenge with this will be timing the transfer of liquids correctly, to make a solid square of obsidian.

Ok, I've managed to design an obsidian generator that generates the obsidian into a solid square :happy:

According to the wiki, the metorite needs a 30x30 area of solid blocks, so I expanded the obsidian generator.
View attachment 392653

View attachment 392654
This is a very nice obsidian generator, seems much more reliable than mine was, idk why I never thought to use pumps lmao. Although a meteor needs a 30×30 area to land in the meteorite can go much further than this range and may disrupt the lizhard/unexplodable blocks when it lands. But I feel like your design is very expandable. There are some very slow liquid dupers that people have discovered in 1.4 but I hear they are v temperamental, sometimes they lose liquid rather than gain. But a reliable slow liquid duper could fit one of these farms very well due to how long it takes for Meteors to strike.

With the antilons, yeah I never really saw that working too well unless you had a 2 player set up. Would still be annoying- better to leave this as a cool sand farm.

On sand I made a machine that can allow a player to place massive blocks of sand.
Although less automatic it's probably easier to set up.

Although a meteor needs a 30×30 area to land in the meteorite can go much further than this range and may disrupt the lizhard/unexplodable blocks when it lands

Actually, thanks to this Wand of Sparking video, we know that the game would rather crash than destroy lizhard temple blocks. More testing needs to be done though.

Considering you're already having to play manually in order to defeat the Brain, with how slow and temperamental the other options are the path of least resistance is likely just using Dirt Bombs to fill in the intended crash site.

While an automated mechanical answer is always the best solution, there's a lot of stuff that has to be done manually here.. it'd just be a lot simpler to fill in your crash site with dirt like that and mine it out after the crash while using a bed to advance time between meteors.

Last edited:
I did it finally used the dirt bomb method as liquids were too awful.
Heres a youtube video on how it works

Attachments

• Meteor_farm.wld
    92.9 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom