tModLoader Metroid Mod

Massive Wall of Text Review Incoming

Terraria Metroid (or Terrariatroid) Mod Review
This mod implements some pretty good stuff from the Metroid series. I honestly do not know how to put it into proper words nor do I know how to create a proper review, but regardless, I will try to say what I liked about it, or at least put it into a list of things? I don’t know.

The Positives
I honestly love how this mod implements the Metroid bosses, for example, I really love that it’s true to how they behave but also adds some unique things to it. It took me around four days to complete the mod itself.
Attention to detail from the games within the mod is something I really enjoyed in all honesty.
The Chozo Suit System is something I honestly enjoy, in fact, certain features such as using the Diffusion Missiles without Ice would make it fire reminded me of a small idea I had for a Metroid Fusion Remake. I don’t really know what to add to this but... it certainly does add upon the Terraria experience.

The Negatives
So now to the Negatives, a few issues I probably have with this mod is mostly direction I suppose..? So what I mean is that you can get lost pretty easily and be confused as to what to do, of course, this is mostly due to it being a beta and the Wiki itself not being up yet, however, patience is key.

The player is kind of overpowered... well, kind of is putting it nicely, it’s more of you’re unstoppable if you accidentally skip something, so for example, I didn’t know where you got the Super Cooled Plasma Core until it was too late and I was at endgame and I was even playing on Expert Mode, this kind of connects to my direction segment.

Grey Voice, while honestly he is cool, he’s kind of useless..? I mean, he does give you some additional items if you want to create the other variation(s) of the Chozo Suit but, not a lot to it other than he’s a convience for other things, but other than that, he’s kind of useless.

Now this is kind of connected with the direction in that there’s a lot of items and enemies are kind of inconsistent..? So what I mean is that you have Beam Types from Fusion, Prime and Super Metroid. You’ve also got bosses from varying games as well too, now is it to say that this is a bad thing? No, not at all, it’s a little bothersome if anything. It might just be the purist in me or something.

A bunch of ideas which are no doubt impossible (and are obviously not the vision of your mod)

So some of the ideas I have will be listed as followed:

Grey Voice: Have him function as a Guide for the mod rather than just a simple Shopkeep, he helps guide the player with direction in the mod + the game so that the player does not get lost, Another addition is to possibly make it so that once you defeat a boss, he allows the player to purchase a summon of it. As you progress through the game, he gives you access to Chozo Suit Modules which you may purchase if you were incapable of finding them yourself or need them for a Recipe. (Possibly doable)
Example: If the player has obtained the Plasma Beam of the respective world, they are allowed to use the other by purchasing it from them (for 1 Platinum) rather than having to world jump.

Something I’d like to recommend is that to make the Power Suits which he sells come in the form of a “Crate” when opening the crates, it provides the entire Power Suit + Arm Cannon & Missile Cannon.

Weapons, Armors, & Tools: So as for modules, perhaps it could go as followed, Zebes Beams (V1) Tallon Beams (V2) and finally Fusion Beams (V3). Chozo Power Suit (MK1), Talon Power Suit (MK2, Fully Powered Variant), and then Fusion Suit (Weakened). (This idea would no doubt be absolutely taxing and require reworking, not to mention possibly impossible, as not only would this require... well reworking, the player would effectively be nerfed post-Moonlord, plus the Original Weapons + Armor would be removed, and at this point it wouldnt really be Terraria anymore.)

Bosses + Enemies: I feel like the bosses should be consistent, as I feel like they were specifically chosen to obtain abilities. An idea I have was that through each section of a playthrough (referring to Pre-Hardmode, Hardmode and Post Hardmode) you would fight a different era of bosses, however, the bosses would be “original” in some kind of way. So in Pre-Hardmode, you fight Zero Mission & a few Super Bosses, so for example: Torizo, Crocomire, Kraid, Ridley, and The Ancient Chozo Warrior (upgrades the default Chozo Power Suit into the Default Fully Powered Suit from Prime 1). Hardmode, you fight against Prime and a few remaining Super Bosses and then Post-Hardmode, you fight Fusion Bosses and X-Infected Mod Fauna. (Possible maybe..?)

Pre-Hardmode (You have arrived on <Insert World Name Here>):
1. Torizo
2. Kraid
3. Crocomire
4. Ridley
5. Ancient Chozo Ghost (To summon requires you to sacrifice your Power Suit, it will reward you with a new Power Suit, specifically the Standard One from Metroid Prime 1)
6. Mecha-Ridley
7. Mother Brain MK1

Hardmode/Post-Moonlord (A loud echoing roar can be heard from the depths of the Desert...):
1. Parasitic Queen (Materials for the Space Jump MK2)
2. Flahaghra (Varia Suit)
3. Thardus (Spider Ball)
4. Meta-Kraid (Materials for Super Missiles)
5. Phantoon (Materials for the Gravity Suit)
6. The Omega Elite Pirate (Materials for creating the Phazon Suit)
7. Meta Ridley (Materials for the Power Bomb)
8. Metroid Prime (Drops Metroid DNA, needed for Post-Moonlord, creates Fusion Suit)

Post-Prime (The sound of a million screams from a million worlds can be heard from the depths of the caverns):
1. Serris (Speed Booster MK3)
2. B.O.X (Materials for ???)
3. Mega Core-X (Materials for Varia Fusion)
4. Yakuza (Materials for Space Jump MK3)
5. Netorri (Materials for Plasma V3)
6. Nightmare (Materials for the Fusion Gravity Suit)
7. Infected B.O.X (Materials for Wave Beam)
8. Neo-Ridley (Screw Attack)
9. SA-X (Restores Power Suit to True Power Suit)

These are all examples however and trying to figure out what they could reward is difficult especially since I lost track with how items are obtained.

Locations: I had a few ideas for more locations but not too many to where it’s too much and it feels bloated and conflicting. So regardless, here are the locations:

Underground Outposts (4 Exist in each World): In each Cavern Biome, you will have the chance to come across an Outpost being maintained by the Space Pirates, these Outposts serve as a Monitoring station of the Space Pirates as they examine their specimens (the Metroid’s) in action. Each Outpost is secured heavily so getting in is not such an easy feat. It is vital that you use the tools given to you by the Chozo Warriors of ancient past. Each Outpost will have information as to why they are located there along with information about their studies, the information they yield revolves around the study of Mysterious Crystals and how the Metroids seem to consume them. They yield Unknown Items, each one is as followed: Unknown Weapon (Plasma Beam), Unknown Misc (Screw Attack) , Unknown Boots(Space Jump), and Unknown Suit Modules x3 (Gravity Suit), however, each item isn’t found in the same locale and are randomized for each world.

Phazon Corruption (Result of the Phazon Core leaking into the World once Wall of Flesh is defeated), After the defeat of the Wall of Flesh, a loud echoing roar can be heard throughout the world, ancient texts along the walls of the Chozo Temple told of an Evil Poison which would one day kill the world, and the Wall of Flesh was the only thing holding it back, but now that it’s perished, it has become weakened. Phazon has begun to appear in various locations, it shows no discrimination and corrupts any biome in it’s way. Liquid Phazon can be used to activate the Phazon Beam.

The Crash Site (Found within the Desert): The sealing of the Phazon is slowly breaking away, this will be your final destination. In order to open it, you will need to have defeated all of the "Main" Bosses, each Boss drops an artifact.
1. King Slime
2. Eye of Cthulhu
3. Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu
4. Skeletron
5. Wall of Flesh
6. The Twins
7. The Destroyer
8. Skeletron Prime
9. Plantera
10. Golem
11. Lunatic Cultist
12. Moonlord
Once you obtain all 12 Artifacts, you can use them to summon Meta Ridley, defeating him will result in entry to the Crash Site.

Space Pirate Facility (Locate within the Jungle) – A facility developed by the Space Pirates, it’s more akin to the Dungeon, but is more... well, Big I guess? I don’t know exactly how to put it. The Facility is used to experiment and create their specimens. First visit revolves around fighting Mecha Ridley + Mother Brain. Second Visit revolves around the Omega Pirate. Third is the X-Parasite Invasion, you’ll destroy Neo-Ridley here. The Facility is seperated into 3 Sections for each Visit to expand upon.

Conclusion
Okay, so that Idea list was extremely long. Regardless, this mod has true potential to be great and I really enjoyed playing through it, however, while it is nice and good, I do feel like the Mod requires some form of... "consistency". I don't know how or if it's even the right way to put it, I am certainly not a modder nor am I good reviewer, but I do feel like some of the content was thrown in there as a test rather than being apart of the mod, then again, this is a beta and it is still subject to change, Regardless of all of that, I honestly really enjoyed this mod and I hope you continue your work and do a great job.
Also I am very sorry for the massive wall here this is kind of my first few times posting within the Terraria Forums.

Last edited:
Ridley has several varations in the games, actually. In canonical order they are: Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley, Proteus Ridley, and Neo Ridley. Meta Ridley is basically a resurrected cyborg version of him, Omega Ridley is Meta Ridley infused with Phazon (probably the most difficult), Proteus Ridley is him resurrected again but with fewer cybernetic parts, and Neo Ridley is a mutated clone of Ridley created from X-Parasites. The one that would probably make the most sense to use is probably Meta Ridley, as Neo Ridley, while it is the most distinct one, probably shouldn't appear unless there's already a theme of X-Parasites happening as that's a super major threat that can't just go unnoticed, and Omega and Proteus Ridley are less known than those two. (I might be getting some reasoning wrong here, I didn't play the prime games, so Omega Ridley probably is in the exact same boat as Neo for all I know.)

From final bosses to choose from (in canonical order), there are: Mother Brain, Mecha Ridley (just a robotic imitation of Ridley, which is why I didn't mention it earlier), Metroid Prime, Dark Samus, Aurora Unit 313, Metroid Queen, Proteus Ridley, and SA-X. (In the three games that shall not be named there are Master Brain, Gorea, and Phantoon, but... yeah let's not please.) That's a pretty good selection to choose from, I think. Mother Brain is definitely the most iconic but many of the other ones are rather infamous, so I don't know which would be best to pick.

So Ridley was a final boss in a few of the games? I didn't know that...
Metroid Prime would be a really cool boss (multiple forms, right?) but being that it comes from a 3D game I imagine spriting for it would be really hard.

How do i create summon for nightmare? I also defeated phantoon but only got soul of sight i think and bunch of hollow bars is that all?
Also plasma minigun charge for rocket thingy is op. It can defeat hardmode bosses in minutes.

How do i create summon for nightmare? I also defeated phantoon but only got soul of sight i think and bunch of hollow bars is that all?
Also plasma minigun charge for rocket thingy is op. It can defeat hardmode bosses in minutes.
I think you defeated the Twins and not Phantoon

I have some ideas for non-hunter items that the Metroid bosses could drop.
Kraid: They could have you craft the items from their main drop, maybe a sword that shoots spinning claw things, or a mini Kraid summon.
Phantoon: They could have a magic weapon with their eyeball fire things, or maybe it could be a summoner weapon.
Nightmare: Some kind of laser weapon like their arm lasers. Maybe a club in the sort of shape of their arms. Maybe they should have a drop similar to Kraid or Phantoon that your craft items out of.
Omega Pirate: Maybe a rod of discord like thing that lets you teleport. Or a magic weapon that shoots shockwaves. Or the shoulder turrets being a ranged weapon. Speaking of the omega pirate maybe they should have a new attack later in the fight, as it was one of the main problems with Metroid Primes bosses.

Last edited:
Ridley is pretty iconic but he has never really been an endgame boss. I think having him be post lunatic pre moonlord makes sense and then post moonlord should be reserved for an enhanced version of Ridley and Mother Brain. I don't really know of many final bosses of Metroid games but the Mother Brain fight is iconic (both the NES version and the SNES version) and makes sense as a post moonlord boss IMO. At least the final form of mother brain. The initial lab fight could be pre-moonlord and the loot from it + moonlord + enhanced ridley loot could be part of the summoning mechanic for the final version of mother brain.
In Samus Returns Ridley is the final boss.

When I was fighting Nightmare, I got it to the X phase and the Nightmare sprite appeared on enemies around me. Like a devourer was its arm. Also Nightmare and Omega Pirate are easy and the Golden Chozo statue isn't different enough to be interesting. Maybe replace the gold Chozo with Ridley later and make him drop the screw attack.

Please don't use that Ridley remix in the final version. It's just my opinion but I think it doesn't fit for the boss.

also the phason beam and the hyper beam being right at the same point in the game is useless. The phason beam should be made after Omega pirate.

also the phason beam and the hyper beam being right at the same point in the game is useless. The phason beam should be made after Omega pirate.
First of all, that's the point, it's meant to be overpowered, but more importantly, this is still a beta, meaning it can be implemented into the game another way if the mod creator chooses to do so. Also it's the scooter's mod, he's allowed to make changes if needed. Second of all, no, it would break the game at that point in the mod.

First of all, that's the point, it's meant to be overpowered, but more importantly, this is still a beta, meaning it can be implemented into the game another way if the mod creator chooses to do so. Also it's the scooter's mod, he's allowed to make changes if needed. Second of all, no, it would break the game at that point in the mod.
I was giving constructive criticism. And I understand all of that already.

Back
Top Bottom