tModLoader Metroid Mod

Heyoooo... It's been a long time lol. This entire mod has been a huge journey. I followed the old forum page for probably more than a year, and I think its actually pretty surreal that this mod is actually HERE now. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but sheeeesh this is pretty insane. I don't really know what im saying at this point so, yeah... i'ma just play it as soon as possible.

Edit: Wow, people are still using my old banner? I made that before I had any actual art skills lmao. Maybe I should make a new one lol?

Edit Edit: @CaptainRocket77 YOOOOO the Jojostands mod is actually really lit and super underrated.

Sorry I haven't posted here in awhile. Real life decided to get in the way.

Anyway, I've added a FAQ section to the front page that should help answer common questions. I've also been trying to address as many issues I can, though things have been hectic.

One major balance change I've been experimenting with involves the Spazer, Wide Beam, and Vortex Beam, as I'm sure you're all familiar with how overpowered these addons are. I'll mostly refer to the Spazer, but know that its upgraded variants are affected also; anyway, here's the upcoming changes:

-Rather than the Spazer effectively tripling damage, instead the damage is now divided amongst the fired projectiles. For Spazer and Wide Beam, the damage for each projectile is divided by 3, for Vortex Beam, it's divided by 5 (though I may change this to still be 3, as endgame stuff can afford to be OP, but this is still WIP). This is actually a huge nerf, and makes the whole mod feel relatively more difficult if you're solely relying on the Power Beam (Missile Launcher is still OP, but I'm looking into that next).

-This next change, however, is highly debatable. Since the total damage is being divided amongst 3 (or 5) projectiles, and each projectile's damage is reduced by the target's defense, the overall total damage is being impacted by the target's defense x 3 (or 5). As such, a level of armor penetration was implemented for the Spazer, equal to ignoring 2/3rds of the target's defense (or 4/5ths if using Vortex). I did the math, and if all projectiles hit the target, the total damage is properly mitigated by the target's defense x 1. I'm hesitant about this change, however, because it doesn't make sense for the Spazer to have any level of armor penetration. Plus, having the total damage impacted more heavily by the target's defense seems like a good drawback to splitting your beam to cover a larger area. Alternatively, however, this armor penetration formula could be enabled when using both Plasma and Spazer (both Red and Green Plasmas could have this effect).

If this is all well received, a similar principle could be implemented for the Missile combos where applicable. For example, rather than the Diffusion Missile's explosion projectiles dealing crap tons of damage, the total damage could be divided amongst those projectiles.

On another note, I've also been spending some time working on the bosses, not only trying to make them better multiplayer compatible, but also tweaking or even redoing some of their AI so that they aren't easily exploitable. And Expert-specific attacks/changes are on the list of things to do as well.

I love the mod, however I will say the armor's armor rating is a bit lacking especially at hard mode.

And once you get the galactic level equipment - Nebula and stardust (Solar, and vortex soon?) The basic armor from the solar, nebula, vortex, and stardust has more armor. I guess this could get some tweaking. And damage is hard to get upgraded, since there is no hunter damage modifier in accessories only all around damage effects the damages. Though this only is an issue in Calamity mod where higher damage would make this mod king.

Next would be DLC after that, Such as for Calamity mod, thorium mod, and fargo's mods. Meaning Mod armor, weapons and accessories. for mods.

Been doing for a play through with the mod so not much onto the forms for looking but I though hey why not have some feedback from a fan.

Ok, like Pluc said armor kinda meh, with it being out classed on armor value (maybe mk2s earlier) also agree with damage issue. Still good.
Next thing is kinda simple to Boot but the damage split is heavy nerf (maybe split it one less then split) but it does need the nerf but if plasma was a good idea.
Thats the end of suggestions.

This mod still blows me away at the effort.
Stay good, Stay safe, and remember
Pray for a true peace in space!

Anyway, I've added a FAQ section to the front page that should help answer common questions. I've also been trying to address as many issues I can, though things have been hectic.

One major balance change I've been experimenting with involves the Spazer, Wide Beam, and Vortex Beam, as I'm sure you're all familiar with how overpowered these addons are. I'll mostly refer to the Spazer, but know that its upgraded variants are affected also; anyway, here's the upcoming changes:

-Rather than the Spazer effectively tripling damage, instead the damage is now divided amongst the fired projectiles. For Spazer and Wide Beam, the damage for each projectile is divided by 3, for Vortex Beam, it's divided by 5 (though I may change this to still be 3, as endgame stuff can afford to be OP, but this is still WIP). This is actually a huge nerf, and makes the whole mod feel relatively more difficult if you're solely relying on the Power Beam (Missile Launcher is still OP, but I'm looking into that next).

-This next change, however, is highly debatable. Since the total damage is being divided amongst 3 (or 5) projectiles, and each projectile's damage is reduced by the target's defense, the overall total damage is being impacted by the target's defense x 3 (or 5). As such, a level of armor penetration was implemented for the Spazer, equal to ignoring 2/3rds of the target's defense (or 4/5ths if using Vortex). I did the math, and if all projectiles hit the target, the total damage is properly mitigated by the target's defense x 1. I'm hesitant about this change, however, because it doesn't make sense for the Spazer to have any level of armor penetration. Plus, having the total damage impacted more heavily by the target's defense seems like a good drawback to splitting your beam to cover a larger area. Alternatively, however, this armor penetration formula could be enabled when using both Plasma and Spazer (both Red and Green Plasmas could have this effect).

If this is all well received, a similar principle could be implemented for the Missile combos where applicable. For example, rather than the Diffusion Missile's explosion projectiles dealing crap tons of damage, the total damage could be divided amongst those projectiles.

On another note, I've also been spending some time working on the bosses, not only trying to make them better multiplayer compatible, but also tweaking or even redoing some of their AI so that they aren't easily exploitable. And Expert-specific attacks/changes are on the list of things to do as well.
I've seen a lot in this mod and I was surprised, but I would still like to see some things from the super metroid and metroid fusion: the total bosses of the missing super metroid (Crocomire, spore spawn, ridley, draygon and mother brain, the missing total fusion bosses (Aracnus x, zazabi x, security robot, barrier core, gedo aracne, plant boss, a second version of the security robo boss, a more powerful version of ridley and finally omega metroid, now about items, there could be more items to cure hunter damage as many of the bosses can be post moonlord, like the common super metroid ridley could give a stick to summon a metroid pet, as the new ridley could give an improved version of the screw atack that it can only be adapted in X-armor, I know it seems like a lot but the idea is that super metroid has a huge world and could add many things even biomes, just like calamity tries to bring, and something that could be added and everyone would m loving and that in these new biomes could have the music of the metroid biome, how many times I entered the jungle thinking that I could have the music of brinstar haha, Anyway I hope my ideas reach you, when I reset here I will make it a point to reset again with the update ! it looks like i'm playing metroid on the terraria with my brother!in addition, you could make the bosses spawn normally or have an activation equal to the torizo and also only suffer damage if the shot is loaded or if it is with missiles, we can see the idea of the damage when we are in the game and give a basic shot to the boss which has no effect, in kraid for example he doesn’t take any more damage if he takes damage from a power missile leaves him very injured! this would make bosses extremely challenging and force players to use missiles and loaded shots :)

Last edited:

The nerf to spazer will be pretty significant considering the progression of the mod by itself. When I got spazer I was more "finally I am doing more damage" rather than "wow now I am OP". Given the scarcity of weapon upgrades in this mod it does pay to have the upgrades be worthwhile. As another person mentioned, hunter damage doesn't benefit from most things outside of this mod so it makes the actual weapon upgrades that much more important.

Last edited:
The nerf to spazer will be pretty significant considering the progression of the mod by itself. When I got spazer I was more "finally I am doing more damage" rather than "wow now I am OP". Given the scarcity of weapon upgrades in this mod it does pay to have the upgrades be worthwhile. As another person mentioned, hunter damage doesn't benefit from most things outside of this mod so it makes the actual weapon upgrades that much more important.
Depends on what game you are playing, and what difficulty. Expert it sort of evens out, since the enemies are harder and stronger. Not to mention if it an alright platform to build off of if you are playing Other difficulty increasing mods, namely fargo or calamity. Needs sort of an options menu deal so you can increase or decrease damages. in this case. Besides that armor is lower than it should be vs the cost of materials needed, at least a 3+ to all around armor for each level of power armor is a starting point. Unless it is planned for some sort of armor shielding which would make some sense.

Depends on what game you are playing, and what difficulty. Expert it sort of evens out, since the enemies are harder and stronger. Not to mention if it an alright platform to build off of if you are playing Other difficulty increasing mods, namely fargo or calamity. Needs sort of an options menu deal so you can increase or decrease damages. in this case. Besides that armor is lower than it should be vs the cost of materials needed, at least a 3+ to all around armor for each level of power armor is a starting point. Unless it is planned for some sort of armor shielding which would make some sense.
Thats a good point. I do play on expert mode so the tougher enemies have been rough with just the metroid mod gear.

A possible solution to the Spazer issue: Each part of the beam is reduced by 50%. That way if you hit with just one, you did reduced damage. You hit with two, you get the full damage. Hit with all three and the damage is moderately improved. This way accurate shooting is rewarded, but not 3x damage rewarded.

Interesting to see how this change will play out. I recall on my 2nd playthrough as Hunter class, I went from having struggles to steamrolling with just the Spazer upgrade alone. The other upgrades helped too, but Spazer was by far the strongest, effectively becoming OP since it tripled your damage, which is a huge upgrade in Terraria especially in pre-hardmode.

And on the note of missile balance, in hardmode, I found the missiles pretty weak compared to the beams. The only exception being missile combos, which are where missiles really become OP. However, I only found the beams OP, the other missile combos I thought to be underwhelming. Now granted, missile ammo is limited unlike beams, so they should be stronger than beams, but I couldn't give you any hard numbers on how much stronger. Maybe double DPS? And you would still need to hit too, since beams get wider and can penetrate through enemies and somewhat through tiles later on. Yes, I got the upgraded missile addons like super missiles and ice missiles whenever I could, but they were a lot weaker than the beams at that point.

Overall, on an expert mode run, I found Hunter pretty OP. I only didn't feel that way before getting the Spazer beam. Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy myself, but it wasn't very challenging either except trying to take on certain post ML bosses like from Fargo's.

honestly, I don't think there actually is an issue with the spazer series. assuming my memory holds, in metroid 2 the spazer was full power on all three lasers (and then the plasma beam was the three overlapped, accounting for it's power.) so there'd be precedent for a good bit of power there. if you really want to worry about it, you could dial down the power modifier the spazer adds by some margin. (glancing around, apparently in supermetroid the spazer was a 50% power increase, but I'm unsure if that's supposed to be taking the whole shot {three lasers} seperately or together.)
on normal, moonman can still wreck you easily if you don't put effort into avoiding things, even after you make the last beam upgrade; it's pretty nice to not have it be a terrible chore to farm him if you want materials, and if tml ever hits 1.4 there'd be more reason to want to hoard luminite. expert... I haven't tried yet, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suppose that it's as leqesai says, with the higher enemy scaling evening the power out.
speaking of armor penetration, I thiiink in metroid 2 the spazer had some wall-piercing and then the plasma beam also went through walls, but neither went through armor... while in super, the plasma beam punching through armor you otherwise weren't piercing (pink pirates, for example) was somewhat it's niche, besides it's massive power modifier. what makes sense with that stuff is up in the air, really.

missiles... always sorta wobble around across metroid titles, in terms of whether you use them for power or utility(firing rate, etc); going through my first run of this mod I tended to likewise wobble between beam and missile depending on progression. splitting up damage on various combos may undermine the use of missiles in general, since they have ammo limitation to consider. (disclaimer: I didn't really use the diffusion missiles a lot over other missile charge options)

at day's end, I think it's important to remember something that most modern gamers tend to forget and hate being reminded: a perfectly balanced game isn't actually *fun*, and it's okay to have the player start getting a bigger and bigger advantage as they near the progression limit. (personally I'm tired of people crying OP the moment you start actually winning out on the power curve, but that's neither here nor there) towards the diffusion missiles, I think it's hitting a fair point to start snowballing player power.

stepping off all the balance-isms, I'm reminded as I go test stuff... man, that speedbooster sound could stand to be made quieter. possibly rigged to stop playing after a few seconds. when you're hauling tail across the map it gets terrible to hear after a while.

honestly, I don't think there actually is an issue with the spazer series. assuming my memory holds, in metroid 2 the spazer was full power on all three lasers (and then the plasma beam was the three overlapped, accounting for it's power.) so there'd be precedent for a good bit of power there. if you really want to worry about it, you could dial down the power modifier the spazer adds by some margin. (glancing around, apparently in supermetroid the spazer was a 50% power increase, but I'm unsure if that's supposed to be taking the whole shot {three lasers} seperately or together.)
on normal, moonman can still wreck you easily if you don't put effort into avoiding things, even after you make the last beam upgrade; it's pretty nice to not have it be a terrible chore to farm him if you want materials, and if tml ever hits 1.4 there'd be more reason to want to hoard luminite. expert... I haven't tried yet, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suppose that it's as leqesai says, with the higher enemy scaling evening the power out.
speaking of armor penetration, I thiiink in metroid 2 the spazer had some wall-piercing and then the plasma beam also went through walls, but neither went through armor... while in super, the plasma beam punching through armor you otherwise weren't piercing (pink pirates, for example) was somewhat it's niche, besides it's massive power modifier. what makes sense with that stuff is up in the air, really.

missiles... always sorta wobble around across metroid titles, in terms of whether you use them for power or utility(firing rate, etc); going through my first run of this mod I tended to likewise wobble between beam and missile depending on progression. splitting up damage on various combos may undermine the use of missiles in general, since they have ammo limitation to consider. (disclaimer: I didn't really use the diffusion missiles a lot over other missile charge options)

at day's end, I think it's important to remember something that most modern gamers tend to forget and hate being reminded: a perfectly balanced game isn't actually *fun*, and it's okay to have the player start getting a bigger and bigger advantage as they near the progression limit. (personally I'm tired of people crying OP the moment you start actually winning out on the power curve, but that's neither here nor there) towards the diffusion missiles, I think it's hitting a fair point to start snowballing player power.

stepping off all the balance-isms, I'm reminded as I go test stuff... man, that speedbooster sound could stand to be made quieter. possibly rigged to stop playing after a few seconds. when you're hauling tail across the map it gets terrible to hear after a while.
Well going off Metroid 2 is bit outdated the better ones to go by would be Metroid 3 and beyond (Not counting the remakes of 1 and 2) if we are talking 2d games. Spazer's power is suppose to be between the three beams, but the easy way out, and sadly for this mod is going to be hard. The on way I think it could be done would have to split up the projectiles which would mimic the triple, or quntiple shot bows. But that is the only comparison, since it gets wave beam not long after, and it sort of makes it a one force weapon. And plasma of the piercing kind would give back the full power of the spazer anyways.

And yes, I have issue with single player games and other better players crying that the mod makes it unbalanced for them. I think that a game works to your rules. If you want more challenge then play it differently. Don't use Spazer if it is so OP. For this game snowballing pre-WOF or pre-hardmode as it is called. is good and fun since getting max HP fast is always something I try doing. And I enjoy mods that give you a hand and makes the path to power easier or at least gives you alternate paths to it. And well for spazer unless it is made rarer, would be the only way to make it harder to obtain.

And after hardmode... Well enjoy snowballing since that is the name of the game, you become powerful enough to topple the bosses, no matter how difficult you have it.

And for those looking for a challange go to Calamity or Fargo's mutant mod where they change the game AI and add super bosses

Last edited:
I have a question about the code in this mod regarding the bombs. I am using destructible tiles with this mod, and it works great with most of the projectiles like missiles etc. but for whatever reason, all the different MB bombs aren't working with it. Would you know what I could do to fix this so that I can make the mods a little more compatible?
For reference, I'm making an adventure map and I'm trying to recreate the parts where you use the bombs to unlock hidden areas.

Well going off Metroid 2 is bit outdated the better ones to go by would be Metroid 3 and beyond (Not counting the remakes of 1 and 2) if we are talking 2d games. Spazer's power is suppose to be between the three beams, but the easy way out, and sadly for this mod is going to be hard. The on way I think it could be done would have to split up the projectiles which would mimic the triple, or quntiple shot bows. But that is the only comparison, since it gets wave beam not long after, and it sort of makes it a one force weapon. And plasma of the piercing kind would give back the full power of the spazer anyways.

And yes, I have issue with single player games and other better players crying that the mod makes it unbalanced for them. I think that a game works to your rules. If you want more challenge then play it differently. Don't use Spazer if it is so OP. For this game snowballing pre-WOF or pre-hardmode as it is called. is good and fun since getting max HP fast is always something I try doing. And I enjoy mods that give you a hand and makes the path to power easier or at least gives you alternate paths to it. And well for spazer unless it is made rarer, would be the only way to make it harder to obtain.

And after hardmode... Well enjoy snowballing since that is the name of the game, you become powerful enough to topple the bosses, no matter how difficult you have it.

And for those looking for a challange go to Calamity or Fargo's mutant mod where they change the game AI and add super bosses
Wait, is Calamity fully functional with this? No game-breaking glitches, no incompatibility? Does all the gear work!? If so, that'd be awesome!

Wait, is Calamity fully functional with this? No game-breaking glitches, no incompatibility? Does all the gear work!? If so, that'd be awesome!
In my experience, Calamity works perfectly with the Metroid Mod. Actually, make that ALMOST perfectly. I mentioned it elsewhere in the thread, but the Phazon Meteor that should drop upon killing Plantera doesn't seem to want to do so. I wager it has something to do with the planetoids that generate in the Space layer somehow preventing the spawn. Other than that, the mod works like a dream in most content mods I've tried it on. (Spirit Mod, Thorium, Elements Awoken.) Note that I'm using the 32-bit version on Steam as I hear 64-bit doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

In my experience, Calamity works perfectly with the Metroid Mod. Actually, make that ALMOST perfectly. I mentioned it elsewhere in the thread, but the Phazon Meteor that should drop upon killing Plantera doesn't seem to want to do so. I wager it has something to do with the planetoids that generate in the Space layer somehow preventing the spawn. Other than that, the mod works like a dream in most content mods I've tried it on. (Spirit Mod, Thorium, Elements Awoken.) Note that I'm using the 32-bit version on Steam as I hear 64-bit doesn't seem to want to cooperate.
That's just bad luck from my experience. I've been usin 64 bit and calamity for the past couple playthroughs I've done and the Phazon meteor seems to spawn fine.

I have found bug. When i use powerbombs near the edge of the world the sucking doesnt happen.

There is also a old map called zebesian terraria i started modify it to suit this mod.

Last edited:
If this is true, this is amazing! I've tried running two Metroid Mod + Joostmod-centric playthroughs, and I kept running into a glitch where crafting the Nova Launcher + Nova Beams somehow broke the Power Beam and Missile Launcher's ability to use "Charge" slot weapons. Charging simply stopped working (I've made two posts in this forum talking about it before, if you'd like to check). It ended to incredibly fun playthroughs prematurely, and I'm getting kind of sick of it.

Question about Calamity in particular: Assuming everything stays functional throughout the entire playthrough, how well does Metroid Mod gear hold up? I've played through calamity in the past, and even in my first Normal mode playthrough, Moon Lord-Level gear becomes utterly outclassed almost before you reach the Moon Lord itself. Are there ways to strengthen the Metroid gear beyond what the base game gives you through other mods? Because I doubt you could get very far with the normal DPS/defense level of the Metroid gear.

Final, quick questions: How do you know which version (32-bit vs 64-bit) of Tmodloader you're using, and how do you switch? Do you lose worlds/characters/have to redownload mods if you do switch? Also, do you have any experience using the Destructible Tiles mod? I saw someone in this forum mention using it a while ago, and it's got my gears turning on how to make an already zany playthrough even zanier. Thoughts?

Sorry for the long reply and the all-over-the-place-ness of my post! I'd just love to be proven wrong about a lot of things, and I'm looking for ways to keep enjoying this mod! Respond if you can, and take care!

Final, quick questions: How do you know which version (32-bit vs 64-bit) of Tmodloader you're using, and how do you switch? Do you lose worlds/characters/have to redownload mods if you do switch? Also, do you have any experience using the Destructible Tiles mod? I saw someone in this forum mention using it a while ago, and it's got my gears turning on how to make an already zany playthrough even zanier. Thoughts?
If you're using tModLoader from Steam, it'll be 32-bit. tModLoader 64-bit requires a download from elsewhere, which technically runs on top of tMod 32-bit. On the main menu it'll show if you're running the 64-bit version. Everything saved from characters, worlds, mods, and settings should carry over between both versions just fine. I haven't used Destructible Tiles myself, so I can't say for sure how it functions between tMod versions. I can say that in regards to this mod, Serris for sure will likely crash on 64-bit, so you may have to switch to 32-bit just to fight it or cheat in a kill or items on 64-bit. Otherwise I haven't encountered any 64-bit specific issues with this mod.

Back
Top Bottom