tModLoader Metroid Mod

Question about Calamity in particular: Assuming everything stays functional throughout the entire playthrough, how well does Metroid Mod gear hold up? I've played through calamity in the past, and even in my first Normal mode playthrough, Moon Lord-Level gear becomes utterly outclassed almost before you reach the Moon Lord itself. Are there ways to strengthen the Metroid gear beyond what the base game gives you through other mods? Because I doubt you could get very far with the normal DPS/defense level of the Metroid gear.
At the risk of inciting further nerfs, a Post-Moonlord Hunter can make it surprisingly far into calamity. Granted I did have some Accessories from other mods, but my primary boss fighting method was using Hunter gear.

This is a fanstasic remkae of Super Metroid! I know it's still a beta (and it's not a map) but MAN! I love all the assets that you ported over! And they were ported in the BEST ways!
Super Metroid and Terraria are 2 of my favorite games and they work so well together!

At the risk of inciting further nerfs, a Post-Moonlord Hunter can make it surprisingly far into calamity. Granted I did have some Accessories from other mods, but my primary boss fighting method was using Hunter gear.
I can make it pretty far into calamity with accessories from other mods too. I mean... If I use an accessory that gives me 2000 defense and +1000% all damage I will make it pretty far with no real equipment.

My point is, this is kind of a weird thing for you to say. What you're saying is, with help from -other mods- you are able to go far into Calamity. That has nothing to do with the mod's balance in and of itself. It also brings attention to a non-issue because you're comparing non-intended progression with progression based on gear that doesn't exist in the mod anyway. The mod is not intended to be balanced around Calamity, as far as I know, so you are probably better off judging balance based on the mod itself rather than how it interacts with other mods.

Also, do you have any experience using the Destructible Tiles mod? I saw someone in this forum mention using it a while ago, and it's got my gears turning on how to make an already zany playthrough even zanier. Thoughts?
Honestly, missiles seems to be the only thing from the mod that works with destructible tiles other than enemies, but I am trying to find a way to make the different morph ball bomb types to work. If you are interested, I wouldn't mind starting a team for this. I might have to try moving over to x64-bit however. PM me if you are interested

is the omega pirate broken, or am i doing something wrong here? i break his armor then he turns into his blue state, vanishes, re appears and is invulnerable, regenerates his armour, and we are back to square 1.
ive been able to hit him with diffusion nebula missiles some rare times, but not with anythng else

is the omega pirate broken, or am i doing something wrong here? i break his armor then he turns into his blue state, vanishes, re appears and is invulnerable, regenerates his armour, and we are back to square 1.
ive been able to hit him with diffusion nebula missiles some rare times, but not with anythng else
I've been seeing reports from other users that he can be a tad buggy. So, I'm sorry to say, yes. He is bugged at the moment. A few temporary fixes until the creator has a chance to look into it is to reset the game, or just fight him post-Moon Lord with maxed out beams.

I can make it pretty far into calamity with accessories from other mods too. I mean... If I use an accessory that gives me 2000 defense and +1000% all damage I will make it pretty far with no real equipment.

My point is, this is kind of a weird thing for you to say. What you're saying is, with help from -other mods- you are able to go far into Calamity. That has nothing to do with the mod's balance in and of itself. It also brings attention to a non-issue because you're comparing non-intended progression with progression based on gear that doesn't exist in the mod anyway. The mod is not intended to be balanced around Calamity, as far as I know, so you are probably better off judging balance based on the mod itself rather than how it interacts with other mods.
Oh man, you're right. That was a really dumb reply. My mistake. Didn't mean to overstep. While nothing of the nature of your example was used, I see how the mere mention of outside mods, no matter how minor, completely destroys the validity of my estimation. I'll leave talk of balance to the pros.

man its almost as if he would be able to use accessories from calamity if he was doing a playthrough of the mod

man its almost as if he would be able to use accessories from calamity if he was doing a playthrough of the mod
Just in case you're referring to the humbling above, I definitely could've worded my initial post better to include some of what was used, but that's neither here nor there. I do kinda wanna see exactly how far I can take the Hunter using strictly Metroid/Vanilla Gear though. I wager somewhere around Dragonfolly.

Y'know...It's been so long since I did a Calamity Playthrough that for a while, I legit forgot that it had game-breakingly useful accessories for a bit! But what to do about the armor difference? The Metroid mod is perfectly balanced for usage on its own (as it reasonably should be, with minor exceptions on the armors not quite lining up (defensively) with where they out to be in terms of Vanilla progression), I just fear I won't be able to so much as scratch some of the later bossess without help. Bare in mind, none of the CalamityMod damage modifiers apply to Hunter Damage... I dunno! Maybe I'm overthinking this stuff!

New bug: if a enemy spawns in the torizo statue boss room, they will trigger the boss to start. its no big deal, as i was already close by, but i can see this being a issue in a few cases

Y'know...It's been so long since I did a Calamity Playthrough that for a while, I legit forgot that it had game-breakingly useful accessories for a bit! But what to do about the armor difference? The Metroid mod is perfectly balanced for usage on its own (as it reasonably should be, with minor exceptions on the armors not quite lining up (defensively) with where they out to be in terms of Vanilla progression), I just fear I won't be able to so much as scratch some of the later bossess without help. Bare in mind, none of the CalamityMod damage modifiers apply to Hunter Damage... I dunno! Maybe I'm overthinking this stuff!
Considering Metroid mod is not balanced with Calamity in mind it is safe to assume that the armor and accessories from that mod will not be enough to propel its power output forward to the point where it can compete with calamity gear.

Can anyone recommend a good challenge for the metroid mod post-moon lord? cause fargo's enternaty mode wont work since i'd be blocked by pillars and ragnarock isnt much of a challenge

Well as far as defense goes the way I play is just go all warding on my accessories and just become a tank, otherwise yeah you've got a point. Damage dealing would eventually become a problem but going off the assumption of just normal mode calamity I figure you'd be able to make it decently far, expert would get a little tricky after a certain point and revengeance mode seems like it could be slightly more possible than expert but you'd have to know the boss patterns super well to build adrenaline (on a side note adrenaline allows you to damage kraid even with his mouth closed)

Last edited:
actually, armor isn't much of a problem speaking roughly. and while yes there are game braking accessories, none of the major offensive ones work with hunter damage. however there are "all damage up" accessories which easily helps with the damage scaling issue on post moonlord stuff (though it kinda becomes necessary for phazon gear given it's piercing and immediate hard homing from the moonlord wave beam.) i only hit a hard wall with yharion, and that was my own damn fault. i didn't bother setting up the arena with candles and other such regenerators. though if this spazer nerf goes through i doubt it'll be able to make it that far in calamity (not that that's the point). i honestly don't want the nerfs to go through since metroids philosophy has always been to make the player busted as all get out by the end, especially if the players explore. something terraria itself endorses. (and yet i never get 50 missile tanks in this mod....) but i think that the spazer issue could be fixed if you change it's order of obtaining. rather than being from the jungle or craftable. or if it is intended to be from the jungle make it from queen bee directly. (i know, i know, hear me out here)

while it has been a bit of a joke boss from the community, queen bee was meant for post skeletron (even if the majority of the community either kills it pre skele or post moonlord, cause we forgot it exists. outside of random boulders popping the larve.) making it a boss exclusive drop that holds it off till wall of flesh instead of mauling through pre hard mode. and keep it as the last or second last upgrade for your buster.

as for the missile combos though.... oof. a lot of them i find pointless short of either the lasers/buster, the missile spread and the plasma machine gun (i never really like the spreader/diffusion weapons (TASTE WAVE BUSTER KRAID!). i find the lack of an easy way to get missiles from something like crafting and farming kinda necessitates missiles and their combos that eat missiles like they were crackers dealing such nutty damage. the best way to choke these into shape to prevent boss melting would be to lower if not outright disable missile drop rates while bosses are active, as well as constrain the number of missiles per world recharge pickup.

thats just my 2 cents on the..."issue?" sorry. i don't really find this stuff an issue when it feels like it's mimicking Metroid's player empowering almost perfectly.

me and my friends are about to start a metroid mod playthrough (multiplayer), since its been like 3 months since my first playthrough, they're new, and i'm excited to play. i havent been reading the thread in a while but i know a hotfix HAS been released, any other news aside from that?

Having recently completed a playthrough with the mod, I am absolutely in love with it. some things i noticed that could use improvement would be stages of progression. The mech bosses were incredibly difficult, and there were not many upgrades between plantera and the cultists for armor. I think more focus should be placed on balance issues. I would also be ecstatic to see more bosses and adventure map potential. maybe if the different armor paths had more diversity allowing you to multiclass with hunter and another type of damage, that would be fun to see. Overall, i absolutely love this mod and im super happy and excited that its finally come out!

Back
Top Bottom