tModLoader Metroid Mod

1618676488868.png
was looking through cheat sheet for building blocks (am going to start a new playthrough with friends and want to build a base before they get on) and i see this

View attachment 317001 was looking through cheat sheet for building blocks (am going to start a new playthrough with friends and want to build a base before they get on) and i see this
220.png
Jokes aside, that is one of a series of Easter Egg items I plan to throw into the mod. I wanna add some Mandalorian and Halo reference items as well, though obviously they're all less of a priority.

On another note, it's been made pretty clear that you all don't want Spazer nerfed, so... Yeah, okay. Not gonna nerf it-- that is, not too harshly. Spazer and Wide Beam specifically may receive some balance tweaks, but Vortex Beam will remain the same, because... end game weapons deserve to be OP. And changing Spazer's acquisition to be locked behind Queen Bee is a good suggestion and was something we thought about at some point. Alternatively, I could swap it with Ice Beam, so that Spazer is locked behind Skeletron/Dungeon, and Ice Beam is acquired... probably not in the Jungle, but at that same tier. Though, I need to take a hard look at the freeze debuff and make sure it isn't overpowered, underpowered, or just broken.

Anyway, sorry there hasn't been an update in over two months, but real life decided to be a pain in the butt and obscure my focus.

220.png
Jokes aside, that is one of a series of Easter Egg items I plan to throw into the mod. I wanna add some Mandalorian and Halo reference items as well, though obviously they're all less of a priority.

On another note, it's been made pretty clear that you all don't want Spazer nerfed, so... Yeah, okay. Not gonna nerf it-- that is, not too harshly. Spazer and Wide Beam specifically may receive some balance tweaks, but Vortex Beam will remain the same, because... end game weapons deserve to be OP. And changing Spazer's acquisition to be locked behind Queen Bee is a good suggestion and was something we thought about at some point. Alternatively, I could swap it with Ice Beam, so that Spazer is locked behind Skeletron/Dungeon, and Ice Beam is acquired... probably not in the Jungle, but at that same tier. Though, I need to take a hard look at the freeze debuff and make sure it isn't overpowered, underpowered, or just broken.

Anyway, sorry there hasn't been an update in over two months, but real life decided to be a pain in the butt and obscure my focus.
Take as much time as you need!

220.png

Is it possible to force random world gen of chozo statues after a boss is killed? Similar to how the game creates veins of ore, could you force spawn a small room with a chozo statue containing progression items so balance can be locked behind bosses?

Is it possible to force random world gen of chozo statues after a boss is killed? Similar to how the game creates veins of ore, could you force spawn a small room with a chozo statue containing progression items so balance can be locked behind bosses?
I could probably pull that off, but... not gonna lie... that sounds like a terrible idea. Lol

Imagine defeating a boss expecting a cool drop, but are met with "congrats, your reward spawned somewhere underground, now you have to find it."
If you actually knew the location of where it spawned, then it wouldn't be as bad, but still sounds like an unnecessary mechanic for something that could easily drop from a boss.

However, the idea of generating specific structures based on world events is an idea I may hold onto, though. Just need to make sure it's executed correctly.

I don't know if you've come up with an idea for the fusion content yet, but you could make it post dungeon content, that way they are challenging yet fairly easy to skip for those who wish to.

I just discovered the mod on tModLoader yesterday because a couple of days ago I was lying in bed thinking "Wasn't there a Metroid Mod in the making? I wonder how far it is now." And I haven't gotten far into the Mod yet (barely beat EoC) BUT I ALREADY LOVE IT. Scooterboot you are an amazing person and this mod was definitely worth the wait. Kinda a shame that the mod isn't compatible with the "Another RPG Mod" yet (and probably never will) cause I like both mods and it would be amazing. But nevertheless the mod is fun even without an RPG mod that goes alongside it! I have waited for this mod for so long I can't even remember how long I actually waited.

I love this mod. I love Metroid in all it's ways.
Can I sugest the addition of "Accel Charge" from "Metroid Other M"?
There's a lack of metroid based accessories ("hunter damage" stats), but taking in count that Metroid series uses basicly the same itens, why not add another?
Accel Charge can be an addon to put in the Arm Cannon, just like missiles in the Missile Cannon.
In the Metroid Other M, there are 6 to be found.
In the mod, it can do the same, with fast beam charge and cool down the heat. 2 in 1 addon.

Btw, I have made a Metroid based Music Wave Bank to play with this mod.
Metroid Wave Bank

EDIT: link with Wave Bank added.
Any sugestions will be wellcome.
The only music that is not from Metroid games is the Martian Madness. This one is from an old mid music, made from Yamaha XG Player.

Last edited:
I love this mod. I love Metroid in all it's ways.
Can I sugest the addition of "Accel Charge" from "Metroid Other M"?
There's a lack of metroid based accessories ("hunter damage" stats), but taking in count that Metroid series uses basicly the same itens, why not add another?
Accel Charge can be an addon to put in the Arm Cannon, just like missiles in the Missile Cannon.
In the Metroid Other M, there are 6 to be found.
In the mod, it can do the same, with fast beam charge and cool down the heat. 2 in 1 addon.

Btw, I have made an Metroid based Music Wave Bank to play with this mod.
Give the wavebank link

I could probably pull that off, but... not gonna lie... that sounds like a terrible idea. Lol

Imagine defeating a boss expecting a cool drop, but are met with "congrats, your reward spawned somewhere underground, now you have to find it."
If you actually knew the location of where it spawned, then it wouldn't be as bad, but still sounds like an unnecessary mechanic for something that could easily drop from a boss.

However, the idea of generating specific structures based on world events is an idea I may hold onto, though. Just need to make sure it's executed correctly.
Thats a good point.
Terraria already does this sort of thing in vanilla though. Spawning ores when the bosses die, for example.
I understand that a single spawn would be ridiculous but multiple spawns and/or some kind of object locator could be used to find the things.

Main reason for this is to address the issue of finding strong gear too early.

Or maybe by locking some chozo statues until you get a key, similar to the dungeon chests. That way the chozos csn be in the world already and you can look for them at any time.

Or maybe by locking some chozo statues until you get a key, similar to the dungeon chests. That way the chozos csn be in the world already and you can look for them at any time.
What if we used the Scan Visor to do that? And use the translation mechanic from MP2 as the keys?

Ive always wondered which does more dmg before wof, missle spread with ice missles or the charge beam with all the upgrades you can get at the time. It looks like missle spead does more dmg but thats with a Face shot. the beam is useful at all distances, while ice missles are useful for freezing for charge shots.

Can someone tell me how to make doors that close after some time? Or maybe implement the gates from Super metroid.
If you mean the shooty doors then they are in the mod. As for closing...uh I think you could probably wire them up to close when you pass through them or something perhaps? I haven't exactly tried testing that out.

is there any chance of setting mechanisms that are triggered by wire to spawn bosses? that way they can surprise attack the way they do in game? idk if it's even possible, tbf

is there any chance of setting mechanisms that are triggered by wire to spawn bosses? that way they can surprise attack the way they do in game? idk if it's even possible, tbf
Judging by the mini-walkthrough in the first post of this thread, that's how the first boss works. Not with wires, though.

Can someone tell me how to make doors that close after some time? Or maybe implement the gates from Super metroid.
You can use the Logic Sensor "(Player Above)" on both sides of the door, with a "Logic Gate (OR)" with two lamps above de Logic Gate.
Something like this:
Image 297.png

In this case, the door opens when I approach it and closes when I move away, but it is not 100% accurate, beacuse if I shot the door, it will close when I approach. I'm working on it yet.

So, let me just say...I am fantastically, whimsically enthralled with every bit of this mod and its content. This mod has galvanized me to A. Make an entire account on this forum to talk about this mod, and B. play through the entire game with this mod's progression and salivate over how amazing it is. I have many things to say about it, many things positive, with some nitpicks here and there. While I have seen some certain features that make me grimace, for the most part the mod, in its entirety so far, is remarkably solid and nicely paced. Now let me dive beneath the surface of what I mean by that...
To start, I'll categorize the features of the mod I enjoy and explain them from there, as to not clutter this post up with a rapid ping-ponging of subjects.
<Exploration>
Right off the bat, this mod features some of the most high-quality random-generation content I've seen for a mod of its kind, akin to that of Calamity. And it doesn't win this praise by being big and grand, it does so with grace and subtlety. One of the key aspects of a Metroid game is the discovery of new abilities. And, one of the biggest hurdles I could fathom in the process of applying this critical aspect, would be the random generation of the game world. You can't place things in a specific, tenderly chosen spot when the game basically has a stroke on a canvas to create the world. In spite of that, you replaced a ruin that nobody cares about, without removing the spawning of the incredibly useful accessories that come from said ruin, with a new ruin that is the kick-starter for the entire mod. Of which, endearingly rewards you for the usage of the goodies you obtain in the ruin, along with rewarding your curiosity in some situations. And, to accompany that, you made a riveting boss fight that is a fantastic throwback to the inspiration of the mod, a battle with Torizo. What better way to start the mod's progression than fighting the first boss in the series' hallmark, Super Metroid?
In congruence with this fantastic implementation, the implementation of the Chozo upgrade statues littered around the world, with missile expansions dotting the cavernous underground, is incredibly well-executed. The rush of adrenaline finding a new statue with a powerup you haven't seen yet is euphoric, and gives an incentive to continue searching. In addition, every statue being able to be broken down into the mod's fundamental crafting resource, Chozite, was a wonderful design choice. It gives the player more than one reason to hunt statues, even if they carry an upgrade that they already possess. As well as this, every biome has their own cast of specific upgrades you can't find anywhere else. The jungle's Spider Ball, the deep-cavern's Hi-Jump Boots, it gives the player a reason to go to the different biomes and explore extensively. I can't give enough kudos on how well done this aspect is, you knocked it out of the park and then some.
<Weapons and Armor>
This was one of the biggest things I was worried about when going into this blind. I was genuinely convinced this was going to be a dime-a-dozen, horrible "combat" mod that just rode on the coattails of its inspiration, like many a Starbound mod would go...But my god, I was so wrong. I don't think I've seen such high-quality implementation of a mod's items and weapons in Terraria, until now. I don't even think I can go back to playing Vanilla at this rate. The sheer level of neuron activation that this game induces upon my undeserving monkey brain is the reason I get up in the morning. I have several reasons why I adore this mod's combat and weapons, one of which is the biggest among them. The design, the sounds of the weapon, the sprites of its projectiles, and the fantastic way they move and intertwine with other upgrades in absolutely awestriking ways. The things that you usually take for granted or overlook in a weapon's feel, they're so incomprehensibly important to the enjoyment of the weapon. From the humblest of beginnings with a Power Beam, the weapon feels rewarding to play and perfect your aim with. As you go along, obtaining more upgrades, you don't just see yourself getting stronger, your FEEL that rise in power. As you progress, you only get better and better, which upon itself is rewarding enough. And I don't mean "getting better" in the terms of the big red number going up in size as the boss's health bar goes down faster, which is still very much present, but I mean the skill necessary to make sure you use the weapon correctly. That is far more valuable than one would think.
Another aspect I enjoy is the amount of benefits and abilities given by the armor as you go along, and the distinct set bonuses that drive you towards getting the next set, while never making the suit you have obsolete, since it directly requires the current suit to upgrade. You don't have five suits of old armor laying around, collecting dust in a random chest you check when you're searching for your small fortune of Souls of Flight, you have one suit that you're constantly upgrading. Something about that is incredibly satisfying much like the rest of the mod.
On the topic of upgrades, the fact that you have made a UI and item system for the Power Beam, the Missile Launcher, and the Morph Ball upgrades is such a wonderful feature. Far better than having 14+ different redundant iterations of each weapon in the crafting menu, clogging up the interface with their uselessness.
<Accessories and Other Items>
One of the important features in the mod is the litany of accessories that give your character the mobility and abilities of the bounty hunter we're all incredibly familiar with. From the simplest of the roster, such as the ever-endearing Morph Ball or Hi-Jump Boots, to the game-changing culmination of the strongest powerups in the Metroid franchise in the Space Booster or Space Boosted Screw Attack. Each accessory feels good to discover, and even greater to use. The Speed Booster and the Shine Spark that accompanies it are shockingly effective, as well. Each of them so together to make you a lightning-fast force of nature who's thirst for Xeno blood cannot be quelled. The Morph Ball and its many upgrades are...incredibly well implemented! You did a fantastic job with them, even with adding your own homebrew drills that coincide with the tiers of the ores. Well done!
The biggest, and more admirable feature I know, is the Grapple Beam. One of the best grappling hooks I've had the raw jubilation to use, simply for one reason and one reason alone (well two really). Swinging, and momentum. This makes it so that most cave hazards can be dodged with ease, that including your enemies. As well as dodging, the mobility opened up in the early-game is beyond invaluable.
<C O M B A T>
Where. Do. I. Begin.
This mod features some of the most genuinely satisfying and stimulating playstyles I've had the raw pleasure of experiencing. Nothing has come close to the lightning you have bottled, Scooter. This might as well be the longest section due to how much I have to say about it, since it's the aspect of the mod I revel in the most.
The Power Beam is a satisfying and well-balanced weapon, from the time you first craft it, to when you get all of the beam addons for the first time, all the way into late Hardmode. Every step you take with the is weapon along the road to the endgame feels like an accomplishment. I attribute that to the actual skill-based playstyle both the armor and the weapons vehemently encourage. Each upgrade changes how you approach combat, but not enough to throw you off, with certain upgrades overpowering and disabling others you might've had equipped. An aspect that I enjoy is that, while their main effects are disabled, the boons and burdens gained stat-wise from the upgrade are still applied, such as increased damage or a greater overheat development. This makes it so that your mighty arm cannon isn't being constantly and chaotically buffed and nerfed as you have to swap the old modules in order to have it function correctly.
The Missile Launcher's complimentary role to the Power Beam is such a fantastic concept with even more fantastic execution, being a high-damage burst option that can be quickly swapped to rapidly combo and deal immense damage, should you play your cards right. The upgrades feel rewarding and very powerful to use, while never feeling unbalanced. It's hard to get something in that sweet-spot of powerful and punchy, but balanced and well-crafted.
The armor and the benefits they bring, such as the Sense Move, are rather underwhelming at first until you realize how helpful they are in a pinch. Many bosses, both in the mod and base-game, and especially on Expert mode, effectively require mastery of this feature in order to successfully defeat. By developing it this way, in conjunction with the many accessories of the mod, you've made a highly mobile, hyper-aggressive playstyle that makes you feel like an unstoppable force of nature who's only crutch to rely upon is their own skill and understanding of their equipment. This. This is what I LIVE FOR. This is my nirvana, the panacea to my sorrows, the big bright flashing reason that urged me to realize that this mod is more than just a mod. It's an experience.

Now, this is where my problems come to bare their teeth...
<Big. Meaty. BOSSES!>
A lot of the bosses are fun to fight! Torizo, Phantoon, in some aspects the Omega Pirate, yet to defeat Nightmare but the fight is still fun as all hell, they're all quite fun to fight against.
Then there's Kraid. Kraid is not fun, in any sense of the term. He is tanky, and for an early-Hardmode player just fighting them with the gear they acquired in preparation for defeating the Wall of Flesh, it is an absolute S L O G. On my first attempt at killing him, it took me 45+ straight minutes of shooting at his head with Super Missiles to kill him. And even then, I didn't get enough of his drops to make the whole set of the Varia MK-2, which made me viscerally groan. I don't want that for bosses in this mod, not in the slightest. I don't want to groan when I realize I have to fight them again to get the drops I need, I want to feel galvanized and ready to take them on again. This is a big issue, for as much as I give credit and kudos for the combat and weapons, the early-Hardmode and Mechanical Bosses kick your :red: in most cases. It is well and truly HARD, and not the enjoyable kind of hard. The only way I managed to defeat them was cheese them with the Plasma Machine Gun.
In a short, sweet summary, some of the mod's bosses are VERY tanky and grow boring to deal with. (kraid.png)
And some weapons are woefully underpowered once things just get into motion in Hardmode, but unlike all other classes, the Hunter class can't immediately get a damage output upgrade. They have to sit there, and fight the Mechanical Bosses with a handicap, in order to get the next set of armor...which is one of the primary variables in damage output and survivability. There's a disconnect there, and I'm certain you notice it. And with the techno wizardry you've pulled to make this mod...and by the fact this section is a 1/6th of the length of the praise I've given about most of, if not almost all aspects of the mod, the mod is by every single means a GOOD MOD. <3

If I had any suggestion for content, it'd be the SA-X. A battle against an enemy of equal power would be SUPER fun to tackle. Fusion content would be wonderful too, perhaps the armor having a sort of set bonus akin to the Nebula armor, with little X Parasite pickups dropping from enemies killed to give you buffs, health, and missiles.
But, nonetheless, I'm enthralled by your work so far, and I will have an ear out for any future updates!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom