NPCs & Enemies Mimic Behavior: Don't move at all until "Opened"?

Neoshadow Ω

Steampunker
So, I had an idea. After killing a couple of Mimics, I thought:
"Hey, you know what would be cool? If Mimics only attacked the player if they were opened by the player!"

Maybe how it'd work is that the game spawns Mimics as normal chests. They cannot be opened. Once the world turns to hardmode, players can interact with them to open them, and the AI of the chest instead changes to that of an active Mimic and it attacks. Tools like the R.E.K. 3000 would still identify that the Mimic is near. The Mimic can still be attacked while in its chest form. If brought down to half health while in chest form, it will start attacking.

Statue-spawned Mimics will attack right away, regardless of them not being opened.

Biome Mimics will NOT behave this way, as they are not modeled after real chests, so it would be plain stupid for them to be this way.

... that's basically it, but I thought this would be kinda cool.

Last edited:
This should already be in the game. I'm not quite sure why it isn't.
And even if this doesn't get added they could atleast change mimics to not try and attack you from 10 blocks away.. it defeats the entire point of mimics.
Support

More or less...mimic will stil have their flaws to fool me though.

If I visit a cave again and see a chest has suddenly spawned, I know it's a mimic.
If I see one chest is darker thank the other (doesn't give shining particles), I know it's a mimic.
If a chest appears on a location where normal chests can't appear (slopes ect.), I know it's a mimic.

If I'm mimic farming, I know every chest I encounter will be a mimic, trying to open them will not only takes it longer, but also risk myself to get hurt by it.

On top of all, there are even these large mimics that don't even refer a chest at all...Should I try to act like a fool again and 'try' to open them, even while I know it's already a mimic and also risking a 150hp worth of damage?

Sorry, but I'm fine with these 'mimics' as they are, and their loot is more important than their trick, so I'll always hunt for mimics anyways.

More or less...mimic will stil have their flaws to fool me though.

If I visit a cave again and see a chest has suddenly spawned, I know it's a mimic.
If I see one chest is darker thank the other (doesn't give shining particles), I know it's a mimic.
If a chest appears on a location where normal chests can't appear (slopes ect.), I know it's a mimic.

If I'm mimic farming, I know every chest I encounter will be a mimic, trying to open them will not only takes it longer, but also risk myself to get hurt by it.

On top of all, there are even these large mimics that don't even refer a chest at all...Should I try to act like a fool again and 'try' to open them, even while I know it's already a mimic and also risking a 150hp worth of damage?

Sorry, but I'm fine with these 'mimics' as they are, and their loot is more important than their trick, so I'll always hunt for mimics anyways.
It would still be a nice addition imo. The point of this suggestion was not to actually fool people but to make mimics what they are supposed to act like

You must not have noticed what I said. I said:
... the game spawns Mimics as normal chests. They cannot be opened. Once the world turns to hardmode, players can interact with them to open them, and the AI of the chest instead changes to that of an active Mimic and it attacks.
If the game spawns them as normal chests, they will shine. They will have already been spawned in the world. If the player is far enough away and there is sufficient area for a "chest", a mimic can spawn there as a "chest". Since chests can't spawn on slopes, a Mimic won't, either. They won't be as obvious as mimics currently are. However, they still do not show on the minimap. Also, I never said they still couldn't be attacked while in their chest state; I just said they wouldn't attack you. I also updated the original post so that when you get them down to half health, they reveal themselves anyway.
I understand your concern here. I have changed the post so it says Biome Mimics will not be this way.

Thanks for the criticism anyway, though!

I don't really know if Mimics need this. I always mine up chests so that I specifically know when a Mimic is in a chest. I don't want to have to move towards one and open it for it to activate. Shooting it works just as well.

I don't really know if Mimics need this. I always mine up chests so that I specifically know when a Mimic is in a chest. I don't want to have to move towards one and open it for it to activate. Shooting it works just as well.
Well, I did say you could still attack them:
The Mimic can still be attacked while in its chest form. If brought down to half health while in chest form, it will start attacking.

How do you suggest Mimics are implemented upon world creation? I mean, aren't they mobs (and mobs automatically despawn from a distance or from leaving game)?

Unless you suggest they're treated as a block until hardmode.

How do you suggest Mimics are implemented upon world creation? I mean, aren't they mobs (and mobs automatically despawn from a distance or from leaving game)?

Unless you suggest they're treated as a block until hardmode.
That's basically what I mean.

Also, when I say the world spawns them as chests, I mean that when you leave, they will despawn, but they will spawn again once you start up the game--most likely in new places, but still.

That's basically what I mean.

Also, when I say the world spawns them as chests, I mean that when you leave, they will despawn, but they will spawn again once you start up the game--most likely in new places, but still.
Wouldn't that kind of nullify the point, then? It would be far more believable to have a Mimic stay in place, considered a "block" (perhaps an uncraftable variation of a chest), than have a new "chest" spawn in a new location. Would make it blindly obvious that it was a mimic and the new chest over there is also one.

Maybe how it'd work is that the game spawns Mimics as normal chests. They cannot be opened.
That would just :red: me off. Seeing a chest in pre-hardmode that would be not lootable would just get very annoying, and especially if I was actively looking for chests for essential accessories (like the magic mirror and maybe even a demon chest).

Mimics are not really a threat anyways as they seem to do a better job committing suicide in the fiery depths of lava than actually pose a challenge. If this got implemented they would become even less intimidating as they wouldn't even fight back till they got below 50% HP.

Mimics never surprised me because they always activate before I see them and they only look like a normal -even easy- enemy for me. Double the health and this gets my support.

Back
Top Bottom