Game Mechanics Minecarting Ideas - You suggest as well

Which ideas do you want to see implemented to the game?

• Speed Tracks

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Blue/Green/Yellow Booster Tracks

• Luminite Tracks

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Gravity Tracks

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Water/Lava/Honey Minecarts and The Liquid-Kart

• Anti-Gravity Wheels

• Train Wagons

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Flip Track

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

JK0

The Destroyer
8YUsLvK.png

I hope in future updates the minecart system gets more attention, that's why I'm posting this suggestion.

Also, I want to make interactions with you, so, if you have a really great idea about minecarting that has a chance of being added to the game, post it here. Try to describe it with as many important details as you can and avoid conflicts with the game engine, conflicts with items already in the game or items from ideas included in this post, the main suggestion.

wjE0ZEm.png

Speed Track - It's used like booster tracks, but there is no need for direction arrows as it doesn't increase/decrease speed, it just changes the speed from the current to the displayed. If a player is riding a minecart to the left at 50 mph and travels through a 10 MPH Speed Track his speed will change to 10 mph and he will continue riding to the left, the same will happen when riding to the right. A speed track can be hammered to form 12 types of Speed Tracks:

8xC3PXI.png

Any kind of speed track that is higher than the maximum speed of a minecart will change it to its maximum speed. So, if a regular minecart travels through a 100 MPH Speed Track it's going to travel at its maximum speed, which is 51 mph.

Blue Booster Track - Booster Tracks that add/decrease only 1 mph.
BdtdS3x.png

Green Booster Track - Booster Tracks that add/decrease only 5 mph.
FLMy7MW.png

Yellow Booster Track - Booster Tracks that add/decrease only 10 mph.
CA9Z1Ch.png

These may be just the Booster Track when hammered

wjE0ZEm.png

Luminite Tracks - They merge with normal tracks and are placed exactly like normal tracks, but vertical tracks are supported and diagonal and horizontal tracks will be upside down, it is some kind of magnetic rails. Now it is possible to make a loop-the-loop. Riding through normal tracks and going to the Luminite Tracks won't change camera view and you will continue riding normally at the same speed you've been riding before. It can change its sprite a little bit like in Mario Kart 8 that the kart turns its wheels to the side and it starts glowing blue.
v4QRPAA.png

Luminite Pressure Plate Track - The same as the Pressure Plate Track, but it is intended to be placed upside down along a Luminite Track.
qsapTzf.png

Luminite Booster Track - The same as the Booster Track, but it is intended to be placed upside down along a Luminite Track.
9juEreP.png

Luminite Speed Track
- The same as the Speed Tracks, but it is intended to be placed upside down along a Luminite Track.
kTrogbH.png

r3XmGjH.png

wjE0ZEm.png

Gravity Tracks - When you travel through it you'll instantly change the gravity, like the Gravity Globe does. It will change the camera view. It connects both to normal and luminite tracks. If you exit the minecart without a Gravity Globe, when you're in reverse gravity, the gravity will be set to normal again.
fh1AVA4.png

VOqNh6c.png

Flip Track - It will change the way you are riding, from normal tracks to luminite tracks and vice-versa (similar mechanic to the flipping fences from Super Mario), and it will also change vertical luminite track directions.

p365gon.png
sv0i9cf.png

wjE0ZEm.png

Water Minecart - Provides infinite breathing underwater when riding it.
Max Speed - 75 mph
Acceleration - 5 seconds
gjw0R7M.png

Lava Minecart - Provides immunity to lava when riding it. When you're under lava you'll have more visibility of your minecart than you would have riding a normal minecart. (Like riding in water)
Max Speed - 75 mph
Acceleration - 5 seconds
TQ1rtTg.png

Honey Minecart - Provides infinite breathing under honey and the honey buff, even not being submerged in honey, when riding it. When you're under honey you'll have more visibility of your minecart than you would have riding a normal minecart. (Like riding in water)
Max Speed - 75 mph
Acceleration - 5 seconds
irAGKCy.png

Liquid-Kart - Provides infinite breathing underwater and under honey, immunity to lava and gives the honey buff when riding it. When you're under lava or honey you'll have more visibility of your minecart than you would have riding a normal minecart. (Like riding in water)
Max Speed - 95 mph
Acceleration - 4 seconds
itCKV8b.png

Anti-Gravity Wheels - When equipped, it will allow you to jump 3 blocks higher when riding a minecart, holding the jump button (normally Space Bar) can make you float for 1 second (Flying Carpet mechanism). However, you won't be able to move when riding a minecart (you cannot start and cannot stop the minecart) nor control the direction you want to go if there is an intersection.
Tooltip: "Allow the owner to jump higher and float when riding a minecart, but his only hope will be boosters, speed tracks and dead ends."
Dropped by Martian Engineer during the Martian Madness, 1 in 20 (5%) chance of dropping it.
WVPoO3n.png

wjE0ZEm.png

Notes
-You will be able to use the Gravity Globe while riding the minecart, pressing the up and jump buttons, normally W + Space Bar. If you exit the minecart it will maintain the gravity if it's reversed.
-If you're falling normally you won't attach to luminite tracks and if you're falling upside down you won't attach to normal tracks. Falling in the ground when upside down, may kill you.
-You will be able to jump off the track, pressing the down and jump buttons, normally S + Space Bar. It works like a platform, so you can avoid obstacles on custom maps.
-You will be able to use the portals of the Portal Gun when riding a minecart as well.

wjE0ZEm.png

Train Wagons - Though it's somewhat hard to add it to the game, I decided to at least try to suggest it.
Placeable anywhere in the tracks. You will ride the wagon you right click, if it is not occupied by other player or npc. There are 3 types of wagons:

Locomotive Wagon - Usually placed in front of every other wagon. When you're riding the locomotive wagon you'll ride like a normal minecart, you can start and stop the train, you can choose the direction you want to go in the tracks by pressing up or down, and it is essential to control the train.
Max Speed - 90 mph
Acceleration - 4 seconds

Passenger Wagon - Placed anywhere in the tracks to carry players or npcs. Enemies that fall in an empty wagon will ride it and try to attack you. You cannot start moving and stop moving the train nor choose the direction you want to go.
Max Speed - 90 mph
Acceleration - 4 seconds

Freight Wagon - You have a moving inventory, it is almost like a chest in a wagon, you can't ride freight wagons.
Max Speed - 90 mph
Acceleration - 4 seconds

cjxszxq.png

When you exit a wagon, the train will continue riding even without a train driver, following the tracks until a certain time. Every second, a train without a train driver will lose 5 mph, the wagons can be effected by boosters and speed tracks.

Every wagon can be removed with a pickax, but the freight wagon can only be removed when it is empty (like a normal chest).

Locomotive Wagons can be wired, when they receive a pulse they will start moving at 20 mph. Every second, a train without a train driver will lose 5 mph, the wagons can be effected by boosters and speed tracks.

Wagons can also press pressure plates. (Every wagon press the pressure plate once)

A wagon will connect to the other if they are placed one behind the other (Like every placeable block do). When connected wagons start moving, one will follow the other at the same speed. If the train tries to jump and every wagon falls in a possible track they will continue moving forward, if one or more wagons fall off the track they will break, separate from the others.

When bumping, the first wagons will always appear in front of the last wagons, or it can work just like a real-world train, when in reverse gear the last wagons will be the first wagons and vice-versa.

wjE0ZEm.png

Crafting Recipes​

1 Speed Track (Any) = 1 Booster Track + 1 Martian Conduit Plating - At the Ancient Manipulator

25 Luminite Tracks = 1 Luminite Bar + 1 Iron/Lead Bar + 1 Wood - At the Ancient Manipulator

1 Luminite Pressure Plate Track = 1 Luminite Track + 1 Pressure Plate (Any) - At the Ancient Manipulator

1 Luminite Booster Track = 1 Booster Track + 1 Luminite Track - At the Ancient Manipulator

1 Luminite Speed Track (Any) = 1 Speed Track (Any) + 1 Luminite Track - At the Ancient Manipulator

1 Gravity Track = 1 Luminite Track + 1 Martian Conduit Plating + 1 Solar Fragment + 1 Stardust Fragment + 1 Vortex Fragment + 1 Nebula Fragment - At the Ancient Manipulator

1 Flip Track = 1 Luminite Track + 1 Solar Fragment + 1 Stardust Fragment + 1 Vortex Fragment + 1 Nebula Fragment - At the Ancient Manipulator

Water Minecart = Minecart + Diving Gear + 100 Bottled Water + 10 Souls of Sight - At the Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil

Lava Minecart = Minecart + Lava Charm + 50 Obsidian + 10 Souls of Might - At the Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil

Honey Minecart = Minecart + Honeyed Googles + 100 Bottled Honey + 10 Souls of Fright - At the Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil

Liquid-Kart = Water Minecart + Lava Minecart + Honey Minecart + 20 Spectre Bars + 100 Rainbow Brick - At the Tinkerer's Workshop

Locomotive Wagon = 20 Adamantite/Titanium Bars + Minecart + 30 Iron/Lead Bars - At the Adamantite/Titanium Forge

Passenger Wagon = 10 Adamantite/Titanium Bars + Minecart + 15 Iron/Lead Bars - At the Adamantite/Titanium Forge

Freight Wagon = 15 Adamantite/Titanium Bars + Minecart + 20 Iron/Lead Bars + 5 Barrels - At the Adamantite/Titanium Forge

wjE0ZEm.png

Thanks and don't forget to suggest something. :)

Last edited:
Wow this is very thought out. Only thing I'd ask to suggest is rollercoaster like implementations for Minecart track. Could call it...wait for it-

"Coaster Track" or "Trick Track." (I find the second to be catchery.)

Basically, similar to your other tracks, being able to be hammered; doing so would turn it into a "Corkscrew," "A steep lip (Up and down,)" "The Background/Foregrounder" and a "Helix" after the first piece is hammered it would be able to have another Trick Track placed on it and it will similarly turn into the piece it's connected to. (If there's multiple pieces it will default to the left and you'd have to hammer it to be the correct orientation/Trick Track that you needed in the space.

The Corkscrew track is pretty straight forward, but might be hard to implement given what it means; a corkscrew is a slight turn while being connection to the rail meaning it would have to bend the minecart and player a slight degree, maybe even to upside down and back around. Still seemed worth to suggest regardless!

Next we have a Steep lipped track (Or Loop starting/Ending Track), this would effectively make it possible to create loops along with the Background/Foregrounder Trick Track, complicated as it might also seem the Background/Foregrounder Track (Going to call it the BFT for sanity sake) allows the track to exist in the same area in the "background" so that you can move through a track that would normally be in the way to complete the loop.

The last track is the Helix track, would also use the Background foregrounder track even more so than the Loop/Steep lipped track. Creating a circular spiral upwards or downwards making getting up or down even more of an exciting adventure.

Again everything I just typed is all just suggestions and probably won't ever be implemented but when I saw your booster tracks and adjusters for speed I couldn't help but post this. I wish you luck in getting your suggestion through and hope that it gets added to the game ^_^ (Especially the freight carts *_*) Have a good one! :D

Reactions: JK0
Oh hey its the guy that... does... a ridiculous amount of work making his threads. Wow.

Anyways, great suggestion. I definitely support the first 4 things. Last 3 are also pretty cool though.;)

Reactions: JK0
Wow this is very thought out. Only thing I'd ask to suggest is rollercoaster like implementations for Minecart track. Could call it...wait for it-

"Coaster Track" or "Trick Track." (I find the second to be catchery.)

Basically, similar to your other tracks, being able to be hammered; doing so would turn it into a "Corkscrew," "A steep lip (Up and down,)" "The Background/Foregrounder" and a "Helix" after the first piece is hammered it would be able to have another Trick Track placed on it and it will similarly turn into the piece it's connected to. (If there's multiple pieces it will default to the left and you'd have to hammer it to be the correct orientation/Trick Track that you needed in the space.

The Corkscrew track is pretty straight forward, but might be hard to implement given what it means; a corkscrew is a slight turn while being connection to the rail meaning it would have to bend the minecart and player a slight degree, maybe even to upside down and back around. Still seemed worth to suggest regardless!

Next we have a Steep lipped track (Or Loop starting/Ending Track), this would effectively make it possible to create loops along with the Background/Foregrounder Trick Track, complicated as it might also seem the Background/Foregrounder Track (Going to call it the BFT for sanity sake) allows the track to exist in the same area in the "background" so that you can move through a track that would normally be in the way to complete the loop.

The last track is the Helix track, would also use the Background foregrounder track even more so than the Loop/Steep lipped track. Creating a circular spiral upwards or downwards making getting up or down even more of an exciting adventure.

Again everything I just typed is all just suggestions and probably won't ever be implemented but when I saw your booster tracks and adjusters for speed I couldn't help but post this. I wish you luck in getting your suggestion through and hope that it gets added to the game ^_^ (Especially the freight carts *_*) Have a good one! :D

Well, most of those can be achieved with the Normal and Luminite Tracks, except if you want 2.5D Trick Tracks, but it may not be a good idea for Terraria that is only 2D. Anyway, thank you for supporting and suggesting, your idea was taken in consideration but I don't know if it would work with Terraria current engine. :)

Oh hey its the guy that... does... a ridiculous amount of work making his threads. Wow.

Anyways, great suggestion. I definitely support the first 4 things. Last 3 are also pretty cool though.;)

Oh, hahaha, it is the guy who makes a lot of threads with a lot of suggestions that blow my mind!
Thank you for the support. If you want to suggest something else you can. :)

---------------------------------------//---------------------------------------

Added the Flip Track.

---------------------------------------//---------------------------------------
Another idea: A mine-car that mines the track as it goes through it. Is tiresome to mine mine-car tracks (either when you wan to remove them or when you want to loot them from your world) Would be nice to have a special mine car that when used, it breaks the tracks as you move through the tracks.
Excuse me sir, I would like to place this idea in this thread if you don't mind, crediting you of course. Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom